|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hughes move to Washington D.C.?
(a) His wife asked if they could move there to be near her family.
(b) He wanted to learn more about politics.
(c) He wanted to work at a famous restaurant.
(d) His family was there and invited him to come.
2. Who wrote the play "The Mule Bone?"
(a) Zora Hurston.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston and Langston Hughes.
(d) Rowena Jelliffe.
3. Who was the first company to publish a book of Hughes's poetry?
(a) Alfred A. Knopf.
(b) Simon and Schuster.
(c) Modern Library.
(d) Eden Books.
4. What was one hazing experience Hughes related in his discussion of college?
(a) Head dunking.
(b) Book carrying.
(c) Naked partying.
5. Who starred in "La Revue Negre" in Paris with Maude Russell and Claude Hopkins?
(a) Josephine Baker.
(b) Rudolph Fisher.
(c) Carolyn Dudley.
(d) Langston Hughes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hughes say he most felt like writing?
2. Where did Hughes meet Vachel Lindsay?
3. Why did Hughes return to New Orleans and leave his job on the ship running to and from Havana?
4. What new hotel opened in New York, did not allow Negroes to work or to stay as guests, that inspired Hughes to write a poem about it?
5. Why did Hughes never go to the Cotton Club in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "Shuffle Along" and why was it important in the history of the Black Renaissance in Harlem of the 1920s? Who were some of the important blacks associated with music in the 1920s in Harlem.
2. Where did Hughes attend college during the 1920s? When was the college founded and by whom? Where is the college located?
3. When an alum of the college met Hughes, how did he react to Hughes's survey concerning having black faculty at Lincoln?
4. Where was the Interracial Conference Hughes attended during his sophomore year located? What story did Hughes tell about this conference?
5. What happened to Hughes on his was back to France that changed his travel plans?
6. What poem did Hughes submit in Witter Bynner's Intercollegiate Undergraduate Poetry Contest? How did the poem fare?
7. What other meeting did Dr. Locke arrange for Hughes before leaving town?
8. What were some of the places in Italy Hughes saw aboard the ship headed for New York? What happened to him in Valencia?
9. How did Hughes conclude his story of the racial survey at Lincoln? What changes did he witness at the school and in how many years?
10. What club did white people come into Harlem to drink and listen to music? Why did Hughes not go to this club? How did most Harlem blacks feel about this club?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)