|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was "Shuffle Along?"
(a) A song written for Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong.
(b) A musical review in which only men performed in night clubs.
(c) A musical review that marked the beginning of the Negro Renaissance.
(d) A song published in 1928 that became the anthem for Harlem.
2. Where was Hughes robbed of his money and his passport?
(a) On the streets of Venice.
(b) In his hotel room in Genoa.
(c) In a restaurant in Rome.
(d) On the train to the Riviera.
3. Why did the manager of the Grand Duc decide to fire Bruce, the chef?
(a) Because he was always late for work.
(b) Because customers complained of his food.
(c) Because no one who worked at the club could get along with him.
(d) Because of his negative attitude and complaints.
4. Who was one person Dr. Locke arranged for Hughes to meet in Paris?
(a) Charles de Gaulle.
(b) Maria Callas.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) Paul Guillaume.
5. What job did Hughes finally find once he moved to Washington D.C,?
(a) He worked as a messenger for the newspaper.
(b) He worked for a wet wash laundry.
(c) He worked as an editor at a publishing house.
(d) He worked as a page at the Library of Congress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine awarded Hughes his first poetry prize?
2. Why did Hughes decide to move from his apartment to an attic room up the hill?
3. What did Hughes say was a "big sea full of fish?"
4. What did Hughes do with the twenty dollars he received from Crisis for his story?
5. What was the title of Hughes's second book of poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hughes go to Washington D.C. after landing in New York?
2. Who was Hughes's distinguished visitor? Why was the visit an important one?
3. What was "Not Without Laughter"? Why was it important in Hughes's life?
4. What poem did Hughes submit to "Opportunity" magazine owned by the National Urban League? What was the poem about? What happened to the poem that changes Hughes's life?
5. What were some of the places in Italy Hughes saw aboard the ship headed for New York? What happened to him in Valencia?
6. What was "Shuffle Along" and why was it important in the history of the Black Renaissance in Harlem of the 1920s? Who were some of the important blacks associated with music in the 1920s in Harlem.
7. What poem did Hughes submit in Witter Bynner's Intercollegiate Undergraduate Poetry Contest? How did the poem fare?
8. Who was Gladys Bentley? How did Hughes describe her?
9. What other meeting did Dr. Locke arrange for Hughes before leaving town?
10. What club did white people come into Harlem to drink and listen to music? Why did Hughes not go to this club? How did most Harlem blacks feel about this club?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)