|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hughes refer to as the "years of Manhattan's black Renaissance"?
(a) The 1930's.
(b) The early 1900's.
(c) The 1920's.
(d) The turn of the century.
2. What did Hughes do with the twenty dollars he received from Crisis for his story?
(a) He spent it all on food and liquor for himself and his friends.
(b) He saved it to give to his mother.
(c) He saw Jeanne Eagels in "Rain" and then "What Price Glory."
(d) He ate a large steak at a fine restaurant.
3. Who was singing "everybody loves my baby, but my baby don't love no one but me" at the NAACP fundraiser Hughes attended?
(a) Bessie Smith.
(b) Alberta Hunter.
(c) Bricktop Annie.
(d) Josephine Baker.
4. How was Hughes initiated into his fraternity?
(a) His head was shaved with an "H" in his hair.
(b) He was dressed liek a girl and paraded through campus.
(c) With paddling so severe he could barely walk for a week.
(d) He was forced to drink a twelve-pack.
5. Who did Hughes bump into in New Orleans from his days in Harlem?
(a) Buddy Miles..
(b) Zora Hurston.
(c) Bricktop Ada Smith.
(d) Louis ARmstrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous dance did the black dancers from America bring with them to Paris?
2. What was "Shuffle Along?"
3. What famous author wrote the book "cane?"
4. What did an elderly graduate of Lincoln who had read Hughes's survey say to Hughes at his graduation?
5. What was the name of the poem that won Hughes his first poetry prize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hughes describe the wedding of Countee Cullen? Why was the wedding the talk of Harlem for a time? How was Hughes involved?
2. Who was Bruce? Why did he become upset at work? What happened when the boss fired him? How did this affect Hughes?
3. What did Florence do after the brawl at the Grand Duc? How did this affect the club and what did the owner finally do?
4. What benefit cabaret was hosted by the NAACP to which Hughes was invited? Who did he meet there? Who was singing at the club when he entered?
5. Who was Gladys Bentley? How did Hughes describe her?
6. Who did Hughes call the "great Harlem party giver?" How did Hughes describe the parties and the hostess?
7. While he was still in college, how did Hughes meet the woman who was to become his patron? What story did Hughes tell about their first meeting?
8. What poem did Hughes submit to "Opportunity" magazine owned by the National Urban League? What was the poem about? What happened to the poem that changes Hughes's life?
9. How did Hughes compare Bricktop Ada Smith and Florence? How were the two women different?
10. What club did white people come into Harlem to drink and listen to music? Why did Hughes not go to this club? How did most Harlem blacks feel about this club?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)