|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Florence?
(a) Florence McCay, the singer at Zelli's.
(b) Florence Embry, the singer at the Grand Duc.
(c) Florence Nightingale, the writer from Paris.
(d) Florence Henderson, the actress from America.
2. How many monkeys were on the S. S. Malone?
(a) About twenty.
(b) About thirty.
(c) About fifteen.
(d) Only one.
3. What was the S.S. Malone's only port of call in the Azores?
4. Why was the dormitory director at Columbia reluctant to give Hughes his room?
(a) Because they could not find his room reservation.
(b) Because they had transferred him to another dormitory.
(c) Because they realized he was black, not Mexican.
(d) Because they had not received his room reservation.
5. Where was Hughes when he was refused service at the train station soda fountain?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) San Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Auntie Reed and Uncle Reed?
2. In whose honor was the first burial at sea Hughes participated in?
3. About what incident did Hughes write the poem "African Fog?"
4. How did the Africans Hughes met respond to his skin color?
5. What neighborhood in Paris did Hughes walk through to look for a job and a place to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hughes's childhood. With whom did he live? How did he begin to be a reader? Where did he attend school?
2. Who was Frau Schultz? What role did she play in Hughes's life?
3. What were the three tragedies Hughes described happening in the village before his departure back to the states?
4. While sailing along the African shore, what did the crew do from port to port? What did Hughes realize about the black Africans?
5. Who was Edward? How did Hughes meet him?
6. How did Hughes convince his father to allow him to attend Columbia University in New York? When did Hughes leave Mexico for college?
7. Who did Hughes stand in line to see at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York? What did he think of the performance?
8. How did Hughes meet someone in Paris who helped him find a place to stay, and who was the person? What was the surprise Hughes found when he went up to his room?
9. What were James Hughes's plans for his son? How did they differ from what Hughes wanted for himself?
10. Who was Florence Embry Jones? Who were some of the musicians Hughes heard because of Florence?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)