|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hughes decide to move from his apartment to an attic room up the hill?
(a) Because he decided to move to Italy.
(b) Because he finally made enough money to afford a better apartment.
(c) Because he missed Mary and needed to leave their apartment.
(d) Because Bob, the drug addict, was frightening him.
2. Why did Hughes return to New Orleans and leave his job on the ship running to and from Havana?
(a) School was starting and he wanted to spend the rest of his time in New Orleans,
(b) He became tired of the Chinese men on board the ship.
(c) He ran out of money and needed to earn some for school.
(d) He grew bored with the route of the ship.
3. What was the name of the ship Hughes found in New Orleans traveling to Havana?
(a) The Nardo.
(b) The Chiquita.
(c) The Havana.
(d) The Cuban.
4. What did people do on Seventh Street in Washington in 1924?
(a) Played the blues, ate barbeque, and laughed a lot.
(b) Played the blues, shoveled coal into furnaces, and grumbled.
(c) Played the blues, huddled around fire cans, and argued.
(d) Played the blued, talked about the whites, and complained.
5. Who came to Annette's rescue at fight at the Grand Duc?
6. What famous author wrote the book "cane?"
(a) Julia Peterkin.
(b) Margery Latimer.
(c) Jean Toomer.
(d) James Weldon Johnson.
7. At Hughes's college, what was the racial makeup of the faculty?
(a) Mixed ethnicities.
(b) Half white and half black.
(c) All black.
(d) All white.
8. Who did Rudolph Fisher sing with while he was in college?
(a) Paul Robeson.
(b) Josephine Baker.
(c) Besie Smith.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
9. To whom did Hughes give copies of his poetry after he won the poetry prize?
(a) James Dickenson.
(b) Carl Van Vechten.
(c) Alfred Locke.
(d) George Emerson.
10. How did Hughes describe the Saturday night rent parties he attended?
(a) Spontaneous music, laughter, good fried fish, and bootlegged whiskey.
(b) Cigar smoking, whiskey drinking womanizing.
(c) Well known musicians performing for poor blacks to raise rent money.
(d) Boring evenings with too many people packed in too small a space.
11. For what was Mr. Barnes known in America?
(a) His fine collection of modern art.
(b) His financial skills.
(c) His ability to find good young poets.
(d) His good taste in restaurants.
12. Where did Bricktop Ada Smith come from?
(d) New Orleans,
13. What poem of Hughes won first prize in Witter Bynner's Intercollegiate Undergraduate Poetry Contest in 1926?
(a) "Walking Stick."
(b) "A House in Taos."
(c) "A Raisin in the Sun."
(d) "Wandering Fool."
14. Who did Hughes bump into in New Orleans from his days in Harlem?
(a) Bricktop Ada Smith.
(b) Louis ARmstrong.
(c) Zora Hurston.
(d) Buddy Miles..
15. What did Hughes say was a "big sea full of fish?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Wallace Thurman die?
2. Who wrote the play "The Mule Bone?"
3. Where did Hughes find a room in New Orleans when he returned from his sailing adventures?
4. What was Troutbeck?
5. When Hughes entered Lincoln, what was the racial make-up of the Board of Trustees?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)