|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was one person Dr. Locke arranged for Hughes to meet in Paris?
(a) Charles de Gaulle.
(b) Paul Guillaume.
(c) Maria Callas.
(d) Raymond Carver.
2. Why did Hughes say he loved his patron?
(a) She was a wealthy woman who spent her money on frivilous things.
(b) She was thoughtful of him, interested in what he wanted to do, kind, and generous.
(c) She was a beautiful, young, and intelligent woman.
(d) She was a negative woman but she took interest in living things.
3. What area of the country was discussed by Harlem artists as the new place to live?
(a) New Mexico.
(c) New Orleans.
4. Who was singing "everybody loves my baby, but my baby don't love no one but me" at the NAACP fundraiser Hughes attended?
(a) Bricktop Annie.
(b) Josephine Baker.
(c) Alberta Hunter.
(d) Bessie Smith.
5. Who brought the disciples of Gurdjieff to Harlem?
(a) Hughes himself.
(b) Jean Toomer, a talented black author.
(c) Zeda Hurston.
(d) Rudolph Fisher.
6. How did Hughes describe the Saturday night rent parties he attended?
(a) Spontaneous music, laughter, good fried fish, and bootlegged whiskey.
(b) Cigar smoking, whiskey drinking womanizing.
(c) Well known musicians performing for poor blacks to raise rent money.
(d) Boring evenings with too many people packed in too small a space.
7. Who were Pail Robeson, Florence Mills, Bessie Smith and Roland Hayes?
(a) Some of the musicians heard on white radio stations in the midwest.
(b) Some of the black performers part of the Harlem renaissance of the 1920s.
(c) Some of the musicians Hughes remembered seeing at the Grand Duc.
(d) Some of the musicians to arrive in Africa from Harlem in the 1920s.
8. What was the name of the poem that won Hughes his first poetry prize?
(a) "The Black Walking Stick."
(b) "The Blues Woman."
(c) "The Weary Blues."
(d) "The Black Man's Blues."
9. What was unusual to Hughes about the Hamilton Club Lodge Ball at Rockland Plaza Casino?
(a) Men dress up as women and the women in the room are spectators.
(b) Women invite the men to dance and have dinner with them.
(c) Women dress as men and men dress as women and prizes are awarded.
(d) Women dress as men and are the asked to dance by the men.
10. Who starred in "La Revue Negre" in Paris with Maude Russell and Claude Hopkins?
(a) Rudolph Fisher.
(b) Josephine Baker.
(c) Langston Hughes.
(d) Carolyn Dudley.
11. Who was A'Lelia Walker?
(a) The wife of an important politician.
(b) A patron of the arts who hired Hughes to write for her.
(c) A society woman who gave frequent and grand parties.
(d) A singer in a Harlem nightclub.
12. What was Troutbeck?
(a) The last name of Hughes' wife.
(b) The name of the new college for black students in Memphis.
(c) The kind of fish Hughes caught on his summer vacations.
(d) The old farm of John Burroughs the naturalist.
13. Why did Hughes want to return to college?
(a) To get a better background for writing.
(b) To earn more money.
(c) To become part of Washington black society.
(d) To get a better job at the Library of Congress.
14. What did people do on Seventh Street in Washington in 1924?
(a) Played the blues, shoveled coal into furnaces, and grumbled.
(b) Played the blues, huddled around fire cans, and argued.
(c) Played the blues, ate barbeque, and laughed a lot.
(d) Played the blued, talked about the whites, and complained.
15. Why did Hughes never go to the Cotton Club in Harlem?
(a) It was Jim Crow club for gangsters and rich whites.
(b) The club closed in 1923.
(c) It was not open when he not working.
(d) He did not know big name musicians were playing there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once, on his way to the train accompanied by a chauffeur and a secretary, who did Hughes meet at the station?
2. Where was Hughes robbed of his money and his passport?
3. Why did Hughes return to New Orleans and leave his job on the ship running to and from Havana?
4. To whom did Hughes give copies of his poetry after he won the poetry prize?
5. Where did Hughes stay when he was in New Orleans on his trip in 1927?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)