Chapters 1 through 4
• Kayla finds out she is unlikely to get a scholarship to an art school because her computer grades are too low.
• Kayla is not as concerned about the school situation as she is about her family life, which has become bad since her parents accepted the bar code.
• Her counselor says the code is convenient. Every student is supposed to get a bar code tattoo when they turn seventeen.
• Kayla goes to the stairwell and cries. Mfumbe Taylor asks if she is okay. She wants to talk but does not know him well enough to trust him.
• Kayla tells her best friend, Amber, about the scholarship. Amber already has a bar code. Amber says it did not hurt and it is convenient.
• Kayla skips the rest of school that day and goes to the mall to buy Amber's birthday present. She feels edgy and rushes home...
This section contains 2,764 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)