* Kayla finds out she is unlikely to get a scholarship to an art school because her computer grades are too low.
* Kayla is not as concerned about the school situation as she is about her family life, which has become bad since her parents accepted the bar code.
* Her counselor says the code is convenient. Every student is supposed to get a bar code tattoo when they turn seventeen.
* Kayla goes to the stairwell and cries. Mfumbe Taylor asks if she is okay. She wants to talk but does not know him well enough to trust him.
* Kayla tells her best friend, Amber, about the scholarship. Amber already has a bar code. Amber says it did not hurt and it is convenient.
* Kayla skips the rest of school that day and goes to the mall to buy Amber's birthday present. She feels edgy and rushes home...
This section contains 2,567 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)