|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the invention is complete, what is it that Violet has made?
2. Why doesn't Violet tell Klaus about her plan?
3. Who comes to get Klaus and calls him home?
4. What does the narrator explain is an 'incentive' to lawyers to read law books?
5. What picture does Violet have that almost makes her give up before she even tries to throw the grappling hook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
2. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
3. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
4. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
5. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
6. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
7. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
8. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
9. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
10. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
Essay Topic 3
Sunny is an infant and although her presence causes many actions and reactions she doesn't have a very large role in the story.
1) Describe Sunny's personality.
2) How would the story have changed if there had been no Sunny?
3) How would the story have changed if Sunny had been much older?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)