|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet take to the tower stairs?
2. What does the hook-handed man say he is going to go do?
3. What does Klaus think of while Violet is signing the document?
4. Why did Klaus choose not to tell Violet that he had smuggled a book out of the library?
5. What does the hook-handed man threaten to do if there is any 'monkey business'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
2. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
4. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
5. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
6. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
7. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
8. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
9. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
10. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 2
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)