|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Violet give for not being able to marry?
2. What does Klaus say was unique about the Macbeth play that was put according to the law book he had been reading?
3. What does Violet do that causes her to begin thinking as she walks down the stairs with Olaf to the play?
4. What is Violet's costume in the play?
5. In the story that Violet found, who did a woman leave her money to instead of her three sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
3. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
4. What does Klaus do as the hook-handed man leaves the library to fetch Violet and Sunny in Chapter 7?
5. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
6. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
7. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
8. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
9. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
10. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story it is said that the children face an unknown future. Is their situation any better or safer at the end than it had been when they were living with Count Olaf? Explain. If the story had stopped here, and there had been no sequel, how would it have affected the reader's perception of what happens to the children long term?
Essay Topic 2
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)