|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Justice Strauss called off to do?
2. What reason is explained to Klaus for the reason that Klaus has been allowed to live?
3. What does Violet do that causes her to begin thinking as she walks down the stairs with Olaf to the play?
4. Who does Klaus say they will take what they have learned in order to get Olaf in trouble?
5. What does Violet's invention look like when she initially gets done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
2. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
3. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
4. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
5. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
6. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
7. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
8. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
9. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
10. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
Essay Topic 3
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)