|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Justice Strauss called off to do?
2. What does Count Olaf say is a reason that he wouldn't want to marry Violet?
3. Who stops to talk to the children and warns them that Sunny is still in danger?
4. What reason is explained to Klaus for the reason that Klaus has been allowed to live?
5. Who stands beside Klaus for the duration of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
2. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
3. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
4. What does Klaus do as the hook-handed man leaves the library to fetch Violet and Sunny in Chapter 7?
5. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
6. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
7. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
8. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
9. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
10. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story it is said that the children face an unknown future. Is their situation any better or safer at the end than it had been when they were living with Count Olaf? Explain. If the story had stopped here, and there had been no sequel, how would it have affected the reader's perception of what happens to the children long term?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)