|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Klaus choose not to tell Violet that he had smuggled a book out of the library?
2. What does Violet see still laying on the ground untouched when they follow Count Olaf outside?
3. What does Klaus say was unique about the Macbeth play that was put according to the law book he had been reading?
4. What does Klaus say the name of the play should be changed to?
5. What does the narrator explain is an 'incentive' to lawyers to read law books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Klaus do as the hook-handed man leaves the library to fetch Violet and Sunny in Chapter 7?
2. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
3. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
4. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
6. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
7. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
8. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
9. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
10. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf seems to have a large following in his acting troupe. Why is he able to command so much loyalty? Why are Justice Strauss, Mr. Poe and seemingly every other adult taken in by his rouse?
Essay Topic 2
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)