|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of book is it that the narrator explains practically no one likes to read about?
2. Who comes to get Klaus and calls him home?
3. What is Violet's real reason for wanting to come and see Sunny?
4. What explanation does Klaus give to Justice Strauss for why they are reading her large law books?
5. What does the hook-handed man call Violet when he tells Count Olaf what she had tried to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
2. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
3. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
5. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
6. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
7. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
8. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
9. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
10. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)