|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet find that Count Olaf is pointing at?
2. What does the hook-handed man say the three orphans will have to do that night?
3. What does Klaus think of while Violet is signing the document?
4. What type of knot does Violet use to tie the strips of cloth together?
5. What is Violet's real reason for wanting to come and see Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
2. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
3. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
4. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
5. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
7. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
8. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
9. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
10. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there anything that the children could have done to befriend Count Olaf?
Would he have been set on killing the children no matter what? Why?
Could Violet have offered him money and bought her and her siblings freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
Essay Topic 3
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)