|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet claim she wants to do as the reason she wants to visit Sunny?
2. What does Count Olaf demand to have before the children start their chores?
3. What is Violet's real reason for wanting to come and see Sunny?
4. What does Klaus tell Justice Strauss to make sure Sunny doesn't eat?
5. What does Count Olaf do to Violet while talking to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
2. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
4. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
5. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
6. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
7. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
8. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
9. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
10. What does Klaus do as the hook-handed man leaves the library to fetch Violet and Sunny in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)