|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet suggest that Count Olaf might be trying to prove in order to get at the children's money?
2. Why doesn't Violet tell Klaus about her plan?
3. What does Klaus think of while Violet is signing the document?
4. Who comes to get Klaus and calls him home?
5. What does Klaus find when he tries to uncover Sunny to wake her up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
2. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
3. What is described as the difference between the reasons that the Baudelaire children read the books and the reasons that lawyers read law books in Chapter 7?
4. What are the costumes that Klaus and Violet are put into for 'The Marvelous Marriage'?
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
6. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
7. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
8. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
9. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
10. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List several of Count Olaf's acting troupe followers that the children mention throughout their stay. What is the purpose of these characters remaining nameless? If you had to name the characters what would they be named?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus are the two main characters pitted against Count Olaf. Compare the characters of Klaus and Violet to that of Count Olaf. Does Count Olaf have any good qualities? Do the children have any bad ones? Imagine their roles are reversed, then explain how the story might play out.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)