|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Violet give for not being able to marry?
2. Violet says she could make Molotov cocktails if she had what ingredient?
3. What picture does Violet have that almost makes her give up before she even tries to throw the grappling hook?
4. What does Violet suggest that Count Olaf might be trying to prove in order to get at the children's money?
5. When does Count Olaf say he will release Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
2. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
3. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
4. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
5. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
6. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
7. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
8. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
9. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
10. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List several of Count Olaf's acting troupe followers that the children mention throughout their stay. What is the purpose of these characters remaining nameless? If you had to name the characters what would they be named?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Poe says he cannot leave the Baudelaire children with Justice Strauss because she is not a relative.
1) Is Mr. Poe right to refuse the children's home with Justice Strauss? Explain.
2) Is a person's will so sacred that it should be followed at the expense of those living? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)