|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Violet and Klaus tell Justice Strauss to do during the play to make it more fun?
2. What type of book is it that the narrator explains practically no one likes to read about?
3. What does Violet find that Count Olaf is pointing at?
4. What does Klaus suggest that they do in order to stop the performance?
5. What does Count Olaf demand to have before the children start their chores?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
3. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
5. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
6. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
7. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
8. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
9. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
10. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)