|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that makes Violet try the grappling hook even after she has been injured?
2. What image wakes Klaus up when he begins to have trouble focusing on the book?
3. What does the hook-handed man call Violet when he tells Count Olaf what she had tried to do?
4. What reason is explained to Klaus for the reason that Klaus has been allowed to live?
5. What does the hook-handed man threaten to do if there is any 'monkey business'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Poe children are quite upset at sharing their room with the Baudelaire orphans. Is their reaction to having the Baudelaire children understandable? Realistic?
What does it say about the Poe children that they treat the Baudelaire's in such a manner? What does it say about the Poe parents?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Count Olaf's acting career?
2) Could Count Olaf have had a different career? Explain.
3) What is general thought about actors as a stereotype? Does Count Olaf fit this description? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the play's name 'The Marvelous Marriage'? What other names could Count Olaf have come up with and created the same effect? Suggest your own name for the play, and give your reasons why.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)