|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hook-handed man tell Violet to do when he hoists her up into the room?
2. What does Count Olaf do to Violet while talking to her?
3. What does Count Olaf demand to have before the children start their chores?
4. What does the hook-handed man call Violet when he tells Count Olaf what she had tried to do?
5. Where does Violet get injured while throwing the grappling hook?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The two adults in the story that are seemingly trying to help the Baudelaire children are Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
1) Compare the personalities of Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
2) What was the role of each of these characters in the story?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)