|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Olaf demand to have before the children start their chores?
2. What does Count Olaf compare the children to?
3. What is it that prevents Sunny from crying out a warning to Violet?
4. Who comes to get Klaus and calls him home?
5. What does Klaus think of while Violet is signing the document?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
2. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
3. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
4. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
5. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
6. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
7. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
8. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
9. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
10. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do many of the adults continually treat Klaus and Violet as if they are children without any sense? What is the author's goal with treating his main characters this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Violet and Klaus both seem to want to protect each other. Which seems to be more of the leader of the children? Explain your answer. Which do you think would be the better leader? Why?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)