|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hook-handed man say the three orphans will have to do that night?
2. Once the invention is complete, what is it that Violet has made?
3. What does Count Olaf say he has put in the tower staircase to keep the kids from getting ideas?
4. What is Klaus' costume for the play?
5. What explanation does Klaus give to Justice Strauss for why they are reading her large law books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
2. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
3. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
4. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
6. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
7. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
8. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
9. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
10. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Sunny and Klaus. Violet and Sunny, Klaus and Violet.
In what ways are they typical siblings? In what ways are they atypical?
Essay Topic 2
The two adults in the story that are seemingly trying to help the Baudelaire children are Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
1) Compare the personalities of Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
2) What was the role of each of these characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)