|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Violet's real reason for wanting to come and see Sunny?
2. What does Violet suggest that Count Olaf might be trying to prove in order to get at the children's money?
3. What does Count Olaf do to Violet while talking to her?
4. Why doesn't Violet tell Klaus about her plan?
5. What does Klaus tell Justice Strauss to make sure Sunny doesn't eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
2. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
3. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
4. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
5. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
6. What is Justice Strauss' reaction when she sees the children before they go on in Chapter 12?
7. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
8. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
9. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
10. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do many of the adults continually treat Klaus and Violet as if they are children without any sense? What is the author's goal with treating his main characters this way?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)