|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator explain is an 'incentive' to lawyers to read law books?
2. What is Justice Strauss called off to do?
3. What does Klaus see Violet do that he hadn't seen her do in a long time?
4. What image wakes Klaus up when he begins to have trouble focusing on the book?
5. How does Violet sleep that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
2. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
4. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
5. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
6. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
7. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
8. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
9. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
10. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take a closer look at Justice Strauss.
1) Why did she take to the children so quickly? Why did she offer to come let them live with her?
2) Why did the children not try to tell her about how they were being treated? Would she have believed them?
Essay Topic 2
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is significant about Mr. Poe's coughing fits? What feeling or thought is the author trying to impart to the reader by giving Mr. Poe these coughing fits?
2) What does it further say about Mr. Poe when the children go to see him at the bank?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)