|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture does Violet have that almost makes her give up before she even tries to throw the grappling hook?
2. What does Klaus rip a paper into pieces for while he reads?
3. What does Count Olaf say is a reason that he wouldn't want to marry Violet?
4. What does Violet use to make a bandage for the wound inflicted by the grappling hook's failed attempt?
5. What does Count Olaf 'innocently' suggest that Violet and Klaus do if they want to see something unusual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
2. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
3. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
4. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
5. While Violet and Klaus are trying to think of a way to get out of the tower in Chapter 11 what things do they discuss but don't offer any help?
6. How does Klaus describe Olaf's plans as he has discovered them in Chapter 8?
7. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
8. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
9. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
10. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story it is said that the children face an unknown future. Is their situation any better or safer at the end than it had been when they were living with Count Olaf? Explain. If the story had stopped here, and there had been no sequel, how would it have affected the reader's perception of what happens to the children long term?
Essay Topic 2
The law books seem to play a large role in Klaus' research. What is the purpose of the author using law books for Klaus' focus? What alternative could have been used for Klaus?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationships between Sunny and Klaus. Violet and Sunny, Klaus and Violet.
In what ways are they typical siblings? In what ways are they atypical?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)