|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hook-handed man tell Violet to do when he hoists her up into the room?
2. What does Violet claim she wants to do as the reason she wants to visit Sunny?
3. What does Klaus do when he hears Violet say 'I do' to Count Olaf?
4. What does Justice Strauss suggest that Sunny do while Violet and Klaus go through the law books?
5. What reason does Violet give for not being able to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Klaus goes to wake up Violet and explain Olaf's plan.
2. What is Justice Strauss' response when Violet and Klaus ask her if she is excited about being in Olaf's play in Chapter 7?
3. What is Count Olaf's response when Klaus reveals he has discovered Olaf's plan?
4. What does Violet find when she reaches the top of the tower and has climbed her grappling hook?
5. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
6. What is Count Olaf's response in Chapter 8 when Klaus calls him a terrible man?
7. Describe the play as Klaus recounts it in chapter twelve while he is watching Count Olaf's performance.
8. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
9. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
10. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Sunny and Klaus. Violet and Sunny, Klaus and Violet.
In what ways are they typical siblings? In what ways are they atypical?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the feeling that the children have once they are put into Count Olaf's home. How is this reflected in the room they are forced to share? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the symbol of an eye chosen to be used in Count Olaf's house and on his ankle? What does this image convey to the children? To the reader?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)