|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the children find standing behind them while they search for Sunny?
2. Who stops to talk to the children and warns them that Sunny is still in danger?
3. What does Klaus see Violet do that he hadn't seen her do in a long time?
4. What is Klaus' costume for the play?
5. What does Justice Strauss suggest that Sunny do while Violet and Klaus go through the law books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Count Olaf walks the children out to see where Sunny is being held.
2. How is the tower described in Chapter 11?
3. Describe what Count Olaf says and Violet thinks when he is asking her if it would be so bad being married to him in Chapter 8?
4. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
5. What does the narrator tell the audience that they would find in his room as he describes it in Chapter 11?
6. What does the hook-handed man tell Klaus in Chapter 7 that frightens Klaus?
7. Describe the scene where Violet is walking down the stairs to do the play, The Marvelous Marriage, in Chapter 11.
8. Describe the grappling hook that Violet creates to attempt a rescue in Chapter 8.
9. Describe how Count Olaf compares the children to a stubborn mule in Chapter 8?
10. What does Klaus do as the hook-handed man leaves the library to fetch Violet and Sunny in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The children are trying to think up ways out of the tower and come up with several odd possibilities but nothing that will work.
1) What does it say about the children and their knowledge that they are able to come up with Molotov cocktails and polygamy?
2) What would you have done if you were in their position?
Essay Topic 2
The two adults in the story that are seemingly trying to help the Baudelaire children are Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
1) Compare the personalities of Mr. Poe and Justice Strauss.
2) What was the role of each of these characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Sunny is an infant and although her presence causes many actions and reactions she doesn't have a very large role in the story.
1) Describe Sunny's personality.
2) How would the story have changed if there had been no Sunny?
3) How would the story have changed if Sunny had been much older?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)