|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klaus tell Mr. Poe that Count Olaf is?
(a) A mad man
(b) A child abuser
(c) A lunatic
(d) A horrid person
2. Why does Mr. Poe say that the Baudelaires' parents most likely never invited Count Olaf over?
(a) Count Olaf was busy
(b) They hated dinner parties
(c) Their parents wanted to keep him a surprise
(d) Count Olaf was excentric
3. Klaus is able to tell the difference between which two animals?
(a) Leapard and cheetah
(b) Alligator and crocodile
(c) Black leapord and spotted leapord
(d) Lion and tiger
4. What does Sunny sleep on at Count Olaf's?
(a) A worn mattress
(b) A used crib
(c) Dirty clothes
(d) A pile of curtains
5. What reason does Mr. Poe give to explain Count Olaf's busy schedule?
(a) He does charity work
(b) He just got out of jail
(c) He is an actor
(d) He is a traveling salesman
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the children see coming towards them?
2. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
3. What is noticed about the figure approaching the children before it gets to them?
4. What does Count Olaf say that the theater troupe and himself should do in order to enjoy their meal?
5. What is the name of Count Olaf's play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
2. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
3. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
4. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
5. How does Mr. Poe treat the children while they are trying to talk to him in Chapter 5?
6. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
7. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
8. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
9. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
10. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)