|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children see on Count Olaf?
(a) Eye tattoo on his wrist
(b) A hairy mole
(c) Eye tattoo on his ankle
(d) House tattoo on his neck
2. Why does Mr. Poe say that the Baudelaires' parents most likely never invited Count Olaf over?
(a) Their parents wanted to keep him a surprise
(b) They hated dinner parties
(c) Count Olaf was busy
(d) Count Olaf was excentric
3. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
(a) Stuffed lion's head
(b) Moose head
(c) A billy bass
(d) A large sword
4. Who did the Baudelaire children have to share a room with in the Poe house?
(a) Mr. Poe's mother
(b) Mr. Poe's dogs
(c) Mr. Poe's two sons
(d) Mr. Poe's pet snake
5. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
(a) Inheritance law
(b) How to grow tomatoes
(c) Divorcing your parent/guardian
(d) Adoption law
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Justice Strauss show the children that excites them?
2. Klaus is able to tell the difference between which two animals?
3. What do the children do to figuratively escape Count Olaf's home?
4. What does Violet suggest the children could do in return for using Strauss' library?
5. Where does Klaus say he would rather take his chances than with Count Olaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
2. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
3. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
4. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
5. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
6. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
7. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
8. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
9. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)