|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Klaus suggest they could come over?
(b) Next week
(c) That weekend
2. What does Violet begin to do when she sees the figure walking towards them on the beach?
(a) Throws a rock
(c) Yells for the police
3. What does Klaus say that they must go and look for soon?
(a) A park
(b) A school
(c) A lawyer
(d) A public library
4. When the story begins where are the Baudelaire children?
(b) Count Olafs
(c) Visitng a friend
5. What does Klaus say he would like a book on?
(c) Sea creatures
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children think the pot of bubbling sauce looks like after they have been so frightened by Count Olaf and his friends?
2. Where does Klaus say he would rather take his chances than with Count Olaf?
3. What is in the corner of Strauss' personal library that doesn't contain books?
4. What does Violet call Count Olaf while trying to keep him from getting mad when she tries to refuse to take part in the play?
5. What does Violet say that they must do, quoting her father, after Klaus says he hates everything about Olaf's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
3. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
4. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
5. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
6. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
7. What is Violet's first thought when she sees the figure walking towards them in Chapter 1?
8. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
9. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
10. How does Count Olaf describe the play, The Marvelous Marriage, to the children?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)