|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Mr. Poe say the children have to wait to be able to use their family's money?
(a) Violet comes of age
(b) Violet gets out of college
(c) The children all have turned 21
(d) Sunny comes of age
2. What does the theater troupe do when they are ready to have dinner?
(a) Begin pounding on the table
(b) Begin stomping their feet
(c) Yelling for food
(d) Hit their cups with their knives
3. What do the children see on the wall when they step into Count Olaf's house?
(a) A large sword
(b) Moose head
(c) Stuffed lion's head
(d) A billy bass
4. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
(a) A statue of Count Olaf
(b) A picture of a house burning
(c) A sculpture of an eye
(d) A painting of an eye
5. What does the peep hole on Count Olaf's door look like?
(a) Count Olaf's face
(b) An eye
(c) A tiger
(d) The theater symbol
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet wish that she had bought at the market to put in Olaf's food?
2. What does Justice Strauss do that immediately puts Violet at ease?
3. Who does Klaus suggest could adopt them?
4. What has Count Olaf made for the children to eat when they awake the next morning?
5. Where does Klaus say he would rather take his chances than with Count Olaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Baudelaire children's response when they first meet Justice Strauss.
2. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
3. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
4. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
5. What does a normal day entail for the children at Count Olaf's house as described early on in Chapter 3?
6. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
7. Describe the scene seen by the children at the beginning of Chapter 12 while they are standing back stage of the play.
8. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
9. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
10. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)