|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Count Olaf tell the children to do before they step inside?
(a) Take off their coats
(b) Wipe their feet
(c) Take off their shoes
(d) Watch the steps
2. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
(a) With a phone
(b) His house
(c) The bank
(d) Through Count Olaf
3. What do the children say that they have been unable to find in Count Olaf's home?
(a) A book
(b) A mop
(c) A cooking pot
(d) A washing machine
4. What does Violet call Count Olaf while trying to keep him from getting mad when she tries to refuse to take part in the play?
(a) Kind Sir
(d) Mr. Count Olaf, Lord and Master
5. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
(a) A statue of Count Olaf
(b) A sculpture of an eye
(c) A picture of a house burning
(d) A painting of an eye
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Olaf blame his past 'standoffish' behavior on?
2. What does Violet have to drop in order to take Klaus' hand?
3. On the notes that Count Olaf leaves the children what does he put at the bottom instead of his name?
4. What is the only thing that Violet says she knows how to cook?
5. What is wrong with the clothing that Mrs. Poe purchased for the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
2. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
3. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
4. What does Violet give as the reason she should not participate in the Marvelous Marriage?
5. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
6. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
7. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
8. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
9. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
10. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)