|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sunny do when Count Olaf picks her up?
(c) Bites him
(d) Hits him with a spoon
2. What does Violet begin to do when she sees the figure walking towards them on the beach?
(a) Yells for the police
(c) Throws a rock
3. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus prepare the meal?
(a) Talks to a bug on the floor
(b) Bites the table leg
(c) Chews on a piece of garlic
(d) Bang on a pot
4. What does the theater troupe do when they are ready to have dinner?
(a) Hit their cups with their knives
(b) Yelling for food
(c) Begin stomping their feet
(d) Begin pounding on the table
5. What happens to the beach when it is sunny and nice?
(a) The sun reflects off the waves
(b) The children get cranky
(c) It is too hot
(d) It is very crowded
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
2. What is the only thing that Violet says she knows how to cook?
3. What does Violet wish that she had bought at the market to put in Olaf's food?
4. Who does Violet say they should go see?
5. Who did the Baudelaire children have to share a room with in the Poe house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
3. What does Mr. Poe explain will happen to the children now that their parents are dead?
4. How does Count Olaf's house look when the children first see it?
5. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
6. Explain the mood of the Baudelaire children in the beginning of Chapter 2 after they have learned of their parents' deaths.
7. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
8. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
9. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
10. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)