|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Poe tell the children they can contact him?
(a) The bank
(b) With a phone
(c) His house
(d) Through Count Olaf
2. What does Olaf say he is doing when the theater troupe arrives?
(a) Finding plates
(b) Getting the food
(c) Punishing the orphans
(d) Hugging the children
3. What does Violet have to drop in order to take Klaus' hand?
4. What is wrong with the clothing that Mrs. Poe purchased for the children?
(a) It was too small
(b) It was itchy
(c) It was too large
(d) It was used and dirty
5. What does Sunny say that gives Klaus and Violet an idea of what to do to learn about Olaf's plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Olaf give the children for asking Justice Strauss to play the judge in his play?
2. What do the children see on Count Olaf?
3. What is the only decoration in the children's room?
4. What does Violet wish that she had bought at the market to put in Olaf's food?
5. What does Violet say she would want to buy if she could use her family's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3 after Klaus and Violet think about their parents what does Klaus suddenly begin yelling?
2. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
3. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
4. In Chapter 3 what is explained by the narrator when Klaus says he hopes the person knocking on the door is someone to visit them?
5. Describe the scene after Olaf and his troupe leave the house to go to their performance.
6. What is Edgar and Albert's response when Mr. Poe tells the Baudelaire children that they are leaving the next day?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 5 what are the children's moods when they wake up the next morning?
8. What is the children's response in Chapter 1 when they hear that their parents have just died?
9. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
10. What does Violet mean when she says that Mr. Poe was like the executioner in Chapter 1?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)