|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klaus think of being destroyed in the fire?
(a) All his things
(b) The books he hasn't yet read
(c) His bed
(d) His mother and father
2. What does Count Olaf blame his past 'standoffish' behavior on?
(a) Nervous about upcoming play
(b) He has been sick
(c) He had been unsure how to act around children
(d) He was trying to show off for his friends
3. What does Count Olaf tell the children about the fruit in their bowls?
(a) They get stuck in your teeth
(b) They make wonderful pies
(c) It was his favorite when he was young
(d) They were picked fresh
4. What do the children put their clothes in at Count Olaf's house?
(a) A refrigerator box
(b) A laundry basket
(c) A chair
(d) A broken dresser
5. What does Klaus explain it is that makes the figure look frightening?
(a) The hat it is wearing
(b) Lack of light
(d) Her imagination
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klaus say that they must go and look for soon?
2. What do the children think the pot of bubbling sauce looks like after they have been so frightened by Count Olaf and his friends?
3. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus are packing their clothes?
4. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
5. What do the children do to figuratively escape Count Olaf's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response of Violet and Klaus when they are told they will be leaving the Poe household?
2. What do Count's guests say when they find that Count is disciplining the children?
3. What is Count Olaf's reaction upon learning they are not having roast beef?
4. What is Violet's initial response to playing Count Olaf's bride in Chapter 6?
5. Explain what happens when Klaus talks back to Count Olaf in chapter four telling him that their family money can't be touched until Violet is of age.
6. What is the children's response to Count Olaf when they first meet?
7. Describe how the story of the Baudelaire children is introduced.
8. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
9. Describe the children's sleeping conditions at Count Olaf's home.
10. What does the bald man do before he joins Olaf and the others in the dinning room?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)