|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the story begins where are the Baudelaire children?
(b) Visitng a friend
(d) Count Olafs
2. Klaus is able to tell the difference between which two animals?
(a) Leapard and cheetah
(b) Alligator and crocodile
(c) Black leapord and spotted leapord
(d) Lion and tiger
3. What happens to the beach when it is sunny and nice?
(a) The sun reflects off the waves
(b) It is too hot
(c) It is very crowded
(d) The children get cranky
4. What does Justice Strauss show the children that excites them?
(a) Books on adoption
(b) A room for the children to stay in
(c) A play room
(d) A private library
5. What does Klaus explain it is that makes the figure look frightening?
(a) Lack of light
(b) Her imagination
(d) The hat it is wearing
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mr. Poe explain the meaning of to the children although they already know it?
2. What does Count Olaf say that he wants to use the children's money for?
3. Where did the children first meet Mr. Poe?
4. What does Violet say that they must do, quoting her father, after Klaus says he hates everything about Olaf's home?
5. What did the children buy for dessert for Count Olaf and the troupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Violet doing while she is standing on the beach in Chapter 1?
2. What is it that Violet's parents told her when they brought both Klaus, and later, Sunny, home from the hospital?
3. In Chapter 6 what is the children's response to the breakfast that Count Olaf makes?
4. What does Mr. Poe tell the children when they say that Count Olaf is a terrible guardian and explain Count Olaf's behavior in Chapter 5?
5. What does Justice Strauss tell the children when they see her extensive book collection?
6. What events do the children remember while talking about Violet burning the toast in Chapter 3?
7. What does Violet interrupt Count Olaf to say about the marriage while Count Olaf is saying he will go to the bank and withdraw the Baudelaire family fortune?
8. Describe the people that come into Count Olaf's house to have dinner.
9. How does Klaus' all night reading in Chapter 8 compare to how he used to stay up all night reading when his parents were alive?
10. Describe what makes Violet's plan risky and dangerous.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)