|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Klaus choose not to tell Violet that he had smuggled a book out of the library?
(a) He didn't want to give her false hope
(b) They didn't have a chance to talk in private
(c) He was afraid she would make him put it back
(d) He didn't want her to get in trouble
2. What is it that prevents Sunny from crying out a warning to Violet?
(a) A bag on her head
(b) Tape on her mouth
(c) She has been drugged
(d) A gag on her mouth
3. What does Violet begin doing while they are trapped in the tower?
(a) Trying to find a way to contact Justice Strauss
(b) Writting her last will and testiment
(c) Looking for a way to call the police
(d) Trying to think of an invention to help them escape
4. What is Justice Strauss called off to do?
(a) Go get on her ceremonial robes
(b) Put on makeup
(c) Practice her lines
(d) Have her hair done
5. What do Violet and Klaus tell Justice Strauss to do during the play to make it more fun?
(a) To interupt the wedding and announce her love for the groom
(b) Change her lines around on stage
(c) To suddenly fall and pretend to faint
(d) To sing the lines
6. Why doesn't Violet tell Klaus about her plan?
(a) She is worried he might get hurt
(b) She thinks he might try it without her
(c) Doesn't want to give him false hope
(d) She is worried that Count Olaf might find out
7. What does Count Olaf compare the children to?
(a) Stubborn mule
(b) Lame horse
(c) Stubborn pig
(d) Stray dog
8. How does Violet sleep that night?
(b) Like a log
(c) Very little
9. What does Count Olaf demand to have before the children start their chores?
(b) The law book
(c) A nap
(d) Their shoes
10. What does Count Olaf 'innocently' suggest that Violet and Klaus do if they want to see something unusual?
(a) Read the paper
(b) Go to the tower
(c) Follow him to the back yard
(d) Call the hook-handed man
11. What does Mr. Poe tell the children before they go onstage?
(a) Don't be nervous
(b) Have fun
(c) They look great
(d) Break a leg
12. Why does Violet not untie Sunny immediately after the hook-handed man has left the room?
(a) She can't undo the ropes
(b) Afraid of hurtintg Sunny
(c) So Sunny wouldn't cry
(d) Afraid of making Olaf even angrier
13. When does Count Olaf say he will release Sunny?
(a) After the play
(b) When Violet signs over her rights to the money
(c) After he has the money
(d) When Klaus is dead
14. What does Klaus say is the name of the book that he has been up all night reading?
(a) Marriage and Matramony
(b) Prenuptsials and agreements
(c) Marriage for underage orphans
(d) Nuptial Law
15. What does the narrator explain is an 'incentive' to lawyers to read law books?
(d) Job security
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands beside Klaus for the duration of the play?
2. What does Count Olaf do to Violet while talking to her?
3. Where does Count Olaf say that Sunny will remain until after the play?
4. What explanation does Klaus give to Justice Strauss for why they are reading her large law books?
5. Who comes by and tells the children they look wonderful after they are in their outfits?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)