|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet suggest they go to Justice Strauss' house for?
(a) For a place to sleep
(c) To ask her to adopt them
2. What does Sunny do to Justice Strauss?
(a) Bites her gently
(b) Hits her with a pan
(c) Bites her hard
(d) Kicks her
3. What is Violet thinking of inventing a machine to do while they are on the beach?
(a) Fetch the rocks she is skipping
(b) Create a perfect day
(c) Make it always cloudy
(d) Help you swim
4. What word does Mr. Poe explain the meaning of to the children although they already know it?
5. Who do the children see coming towards them?
(a) Their parents
(b) Mrs. Poe
(c) Mr. Poe
(d) Count Olaf
6. What do the children do to figuratively escape Count Olaf's home?
(c) Go to Justice Strauss' house
7. What does Count Olaf say that he wants to use the children's money for?
(a) Fixing up his house
(b) Buying a new house
(c) Traveling the world
(d) Getting the children an education
8. What does Klaus explain it is that makes the figure look frightening?
(a) The hat it is wearing
(b) Her imagination
(c) Lack of light
9. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
(a) In Count Olaf's bedroom
(b) There never was one
(c) His tower
(d) With Count Olaf
10. What is carved on Count Olaf's front door?
(a) Count Olaf's name
(b) The actor's theme
(c) An eye
(d) A portrait of Count Olaf
11. What reason does Mr. Poe give to explain Count Olaf's busy schedule?
(a) He does charity work
(b) He just got out of jail
(c) He is an actor
(d) He is a traveling salesman
12. What does Violet have to drop in order to take Klaus' hand?
13. When the story begins where are the Baudelaire children?
(b) Visitng a friend
(d) Count Olafs
14. What does Olaf say he has become since he has adopted the children?
(a) Their master
(b) Their lord
(c) Their worst nightmare
(d) Their father
15. What is Justice Strauss holding when she first meets the Baudelaire children?
(a) Flower pot
(b) Loaf of bread
(c) Bag of manure
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Olaf tell the children that he wants them to do in order to feel more at home with him?
2. What does Mr. Poe do that keeps him from hearing Violet explain that Klaus has been struck by Count Olaf?
3. What does Sunny do while Violet and Klaus are packing their clothes?
4. Who did the Baudelaire children have to share a room with in the Poe house?
5. What does Sunny say that gives Klaus and Violet an idea of what to do to learn about Olaf's plans?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)