|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Poe explain the children will be going to live with Count Olaf?
(a) He is the closest relative geographically
(b) Their parents mentioned him in the will
(c) He is the only relative to be found
(d) Count Olaf has asked for the children
2. What does Count Olaf say that he wants to use the children's money for?
(a) Fixing up his house
(b) Getting the children an education
(c) Traveling the world
(d) Buying a new house
3. What does Count Olaf ask for when he enters the kitchen?
(a) Smoked Salmon
(b) Chicken Tetrazzini
(d) Roast Beef
4. What does Violet have to drop in order to take Klaus' hand?
5. What does Violet do when she is thinking about inventions?
(a) Sucks her thumb
(b) Puts on her glasses
(c) Ties her hair up
(d) Chews on her bottom lip
6. On the notes that Count Olaf leaves the children what does he put at the bottom instead of his name?
(a) Uncle Olaf
(b) An eye
(c) Master Olaf
(d) An X
7. What does Justice Strauss say she hopes the children will do soon?
(a) Come over to borrow books
(b) Come to have tea with her
(c) Come to do a dance with her
(d) Come over to help her garden
8. Where do the Baudelaire children decide the map of the city that Count Olaf had talked about must be?
(a) In Count Olaf's bedroom
(b) There never was one
(c) His tower
(d) With Count Olaf
9. Where did the children first meet Mr. Poe?
(a) Birthday party
(b) Company picnic
(c) Dinner party
10. What does Count Olaf blame his past 'standoffish' behavior on?
(a) He was trying to show off for his friends
(b) Nervous about upcoming play
(c) He had been unsure how to act around children
(d) He has been sick
11. What does Sunny say that gives Klaus and Violet an idea of what to do to learn about Olaf's plans?
12. When does Klaus suggest they could come over?
(a) Next week
(d) That weekend
13. How is the trolley described that the children are allowed to take to the beach?
14. Who does Violet say they should go see?
(a) Mr. Poe
(b) The family lawyer
(c) Justice Strauss
(d) Mrs. Poe
15. What happens to the beach when it is sunny and nice?
(a) It is too hot
(b) It is very crowded
(c) The children get cranky
(d) The sun reflects off the waves
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny do when Count Olaf picks her up?
2. What does the peep hole on Count Olaf's door look like?
3. What does the man with hook hands say that you must teach children?
4. What does Klaus say he wished he knew more about and wants to get a book on?
5. Why was Mr. Poe not home very much?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)