|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the General do in honor of Leticia and the boy?
2. Why does the General force Leticia to cancel all her public appearances?
3. When was the last time the General was seen in public?
4. What does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra bill the General for?
5. How do Leticia and Emanuel die?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
2. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
3. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
4. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
5. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
6. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
7. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
8. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
9. Describe the encounter between the General and the school girl narrator in Chapter 6.
10. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novelist's play with time and space. How would you characterize the concept of time in this novel? How does the General transcend the worldly limitations of time and space? What is the significance of Garcia Marquez's play with these concepts in the novel? What is the overall message or effect? Provide specific support for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the way in which Gabriel Garcia Marquez treats politics and dictatorships in the novel. What is he saying about dictatorship? Does his General resemble any historical dictators? If so, what effect does this resemblance have on the purpose of the book? Be sure to provide specific evidence from the text as you write your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the animal imagery in the novel. How does Marquez use animals to create an effect? What is this effect? Consider images such as the cow saluting the nation from the balcony in your response. Be sure to bolster your argument with support from the novel.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)