|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the General rise to power?
2. At what age does Emanuel stand, champagne glass filled with juice in hand, and discuss matters of grown-up importance?
3. What does the narrator use to scrape away the layers disfiguring the General's body?
4. What did the regime papers print for years before the General's death?
5. How much taffeta did Leticia steal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garcia Marquez has focused his novel entirely on a totalitarian dictator who maintains control over the nation for decades, if not centuries. As such, power is a central theme in the novel. What is Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of power, absolute power, and/or political power? How does the interplay of power between the General and various characters factor into this commentary? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Rapes and coerced sex occur throughout the novel. How does Garcia Marquez treat sexual assault? How does it affect the novel's portrayal of women? Of the General? How does the sinner/saint dynamic play out in this novel, considering the frequent rapes? Support your argument with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)