|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Leticia touches fresh market goods?
2. Which of Bendicion Alvarado's miracles is most astonishing?
3. How do Leticia and Emanuel die?
4. What is the first ceremony performed after Emanuel's birth?
5. At what age does Emanuel stand, champagne glass filled with juice in hand, and discuss matters of grown-up importance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conditions under which Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra is allowed to operate the torture chamber.
2. Explain the significance of yellow fever to the General's position as president.
3. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
4. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
5. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
6. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
7. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
8. How does the General learn how to read?
9. Who is actually running the government by the end of Chapter 5?
10. How does the General decide to restore the Church to the nation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra, Garcia Marquez provides a significant foil for the General. Discuss the similarities and the contrast between these rivals for the Presidency. Some points of comparison might include each individual's use of violence or terror to control the public, the use of treachery or deceit to gain power, or the relative competence of each individual to perform the task of political leadership. Which is better suited to lead the nation? Provide evidence from the text to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Garcia Marquez has focused his novel entirely on a totalitarian dictator who maintains control over the nation for decades, if not centuries. As such, power is a central theme in the novel. What is Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of power, absolute power, and/or political power? How does the interplay of power between the General and various characters factor into this commentary? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Because the novel spans such a vast period of time, much changes in the course of its plot. As the nation moves forward in history, technology encroaches on the traditional ways of life. Discuss the integration and appearance of technology in the novel. Consider the General's fascination with the gadgets he gives to Manuela Sanchez or the television campaign Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra launches against the General. How does technology creep into the novel? What is the overall effect on the work as a whole? Be sure to provide specific evidence to support your argument.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)