|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Easter edict proclaim?
2. Who was Delfina Moscote?
3. Where does death finally find the General?
4. How long has the General been in power?
5. How much taffeta did Leticia steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances under which the General meets Leticia Nazareno.
2. What does Bendicion Alvarado try to tell the General as she is dying?
3. How does the General learn how to read?
4. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
5. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
6. How does the General decide to restore the Church to the nation?
7. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
8. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
9. How does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous investigate Bendicion Alvarado for sainthood?
10. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novelist's play with time and space. How would you characterize the concept of time in this novel? How does the General transcend the worldly limitations of time and space? What is the significance of Garcia Marquez's play with these concepts in the novel? What is the overall message or effect? Provide specific support for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez sets up a marked contrast between history and memory. In various instances in the novel, the official versions deviate greatly from the remembered histories. Why, do you think, Garcia Marquez creates so many discrepancies? Discuss Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of truth, history and memory. Provide evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, General Saturno Santos is referred to as "the Indian." How does Garcia Marquez treat the indigenous culture and people of "the nation"? Why is Santos consistently referred to as the Indian? How does this character reflect on the indigenous people of "the nation"? Be sure to consider the colonial history of the nation and its effect on the people.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)