|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the armed forces maintain order during the investigation of Bendicion's life?
2. What does the papal nuncio say about the linen shroud?
3. To whom does the General pray in his last moments?
4. What does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra bill the General for?
5. Who poses as a student and sleeps with the General?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
2. Who is actually running the government by the end of Chapter 5?
3. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
4. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
5. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
6. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
7. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
8. Describe the encounter between the General and the school girl narrator in Chapter 6.
9. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
10. Why does Leticia always receive inferior merchandise from the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the novel spans such a vast period of time, much changes in the course of its plot. As the nation moves forward in history, technology encroaches on the traditional ways of life. Discuss the integration and appearance of technology in the novel. Consider the General's fascination with the gadgets he gives to Manuela Sanchez or the television campaign Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra launches against the General. How does technology creep into the novel? What is the overall effect on the work as a whole? Be sure to provide specific evidence to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gender and sexual relations in this novel. How does Garcia Marquez deal with sex, sexuality, and gender dynamics? Consider the multiple rapes, the dynamic between the General and his mother, the dynamic between the General and Manuela, and the dynamic between the General and Leticia. Integrate material from the text to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novelist's play with time and space. How would you characterize the concept of time in this novel? How does the General transcend the worldly limitations of time and space? What is the significance of Garcia Marquez's play with these concepts in the novel? What is the overall message or effect? Provide specific support for your argument.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)