|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment does the General wear in mourning?
2. How had the General's government dealt with petty criminals?
3. What does the General do in honor of Leticia and the boy?
4. When Bendicion Alvarado's body is returned to the General, what has changed?
5. When the nuncio refuses to canonize Bendicion, what does the General do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
2. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
3. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
4. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
5. Why does Leticia always receive inferior merchandise from the market?
6. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
7. Why does the General order the Church and its clergy to be expelled from the nation and how is this accomplished?
8. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
9. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
10. What does Bendicion Alvarado try to tell the General as she is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of education in the novel. Is it significant that the General, despite his absolute power, is illiterate for much of his term? Is it at all significant that the General's wife is the person who teaches him to read? Why or why not? How does literacy and education surface in other ways in the novel? What might Garcia Marquez be saying about the nature or necessity of education? Be sure to support your argument with specific evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Garcia Marquez handle violence in this novel? Why do so many characters meet such violent--often undeserved--ends? Think, for instance, of the two thousand children under the age of seven. Is this violence gratuitous, or does it contribute to a greater political statement? Support your answers using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Rapes and coerced sex occur throughout the novel. How does Garcia Marquez treat sexual assault? How does it affect the novel's portrayal of women? Of the General? How does the sinner/saint dynamic play out in this novel, considering the frequent rapes? Support your argument with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)