|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Emanuel stand, champagne glass filled with juice in hand, and discuss matters of grown-up importance?
2. When he sees the cow, what does the General immediately remember?
3. What does the Easter edict proclaim?
4. Under which code of "law" does Leticia operate?
5. What is the first ceremony performed after Emanuel's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
2. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
3. Describe the circumstances under which the General meets Leticia Nazareno.
4. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
5. After the Papal Nuncio decides that the event was not a miracle, what happens to him?
6. How does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous investigate Bendicion Alvarado for sainthood?
7. Describe the occurrence the General believes to be a miracle.
8. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
9. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
10. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, General Saturno Santos is referred to as "the Indian." How does Garcia Marquez treat the indigenous culture and people of "the nation"? Why is Santos consistently referred to as the Indian? How does this character reflect on the indigenous people of "the nation"? Be sure to consider the colonial history of the nation and its effect on the people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novelist's play with time and space. How would you characterize the concept of time in this novel? How does the General transcend the worldly limitations of time and space? What is the significance of Garcia Marquez's play with these concepts in the novel? What is the overall message or effect? Provide specific support for your argument.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)