|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The General agonizes over a scrap of paper. What does it read?
2. Which man has the gall to win at dominoes against the General without permission?
3. From what are the lepers under the rose bushes dying?
4. What does the narrator use to restore the look of life to the corpse?
5. Bendicion's funeral crown is made from which of the following flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
2. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
3. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
4. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
5. Describe the encounter between the General and the school girl narrator in Chapter 6.
6. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
7. How does the General learn how to read?
8. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
9. Who is actually running the government by the end of Chapter 5?
10. Describe the occurrence the General believes to be a miracle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez seamlessly slides between narrative voices ranging from the group of citizens who find the General's body to the General to the school girl the General molests. How would you describe this form of narration? Is it stream of consciousness? Is it free indirect discourse (a technique in which the novelist enters the minds of multiple characters to present different perspectives)? Do their stories line up or are they divergent? Are there contradictions within the narrative? What is the overall effect of these various voices? Support your essay with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Rapes and coerced sex occur throughout the novel. How does Garcia Marquez treat sexual assault? How does it affect the novel's portrayal of women? Of the General? How does the sinner/saint dynamic play out in this novel, considering the frequent rapes? Support your argument with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Because the novel spans such a vast period of time, much changes in the course of its plot. As the nation moves forward in history, technology encroaches on the traditional ways of life. Discuss the integration and appearance of technology in the novel. Consider the General's fascination with the gadgets he gives to Manuela Sanchez or the television campaign Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra launches against the General. How does technology creep into the novel? What is the overall effect on the work as a whole? Be sure to provide specific evidence to support your argument.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)