|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Bendicion receive after the General sets up a cult in her honor?
2. In a sack of what seems like coconuts, what does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra deliver to the General?
3. What does Ambassador Wilson bring to the General to console him?
4. What is disguised as as vase of six sunflowers?
5. What animal does Emanuel resemble when he is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conditions under which Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra is allowed to operate the torture chamber.
2. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
3. How does the General learn how to read?
4. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
5. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
6. Explain the significance of yellow fever to the General's position as president.
7. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
8. Why does Leticia always receive inferior merchandise from the market?
9. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
10. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez introduces subtle commentary on the U.S. presence in Latin America. Identify the moments in which Garcia Marquez introduces his critique and discuss how he integrates it into the text. What is his central message concerning U.S. intervention or interference in Latin American politics? Which characters or events most consistently bolster this critique? Be sure to bolster your argument with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of education in the novel. Is it significant that the General, despite his absolute power, is illiterate for much of his term? Is it at all significant that the General's wife is the person who teaches him to read? Why or why not? How does literacy and education surface in other ways in the novel? What might Garcia Marquez be saying about the nature or necessity of education? Be sure to support your argument with specific evidence from the text.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)