|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the soap operas the General and Leticia watch come from?
2. Convinced of his mother's holiness, the General writes to which city to begin the canonization process?
3. How did the General rise to power?
4. What happens to the clergy of the Catholic Church?
5. What does the first bulletin released after the General's death declare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
2. How does the General decide to restore the Church to the nation?
3. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
4. What does Bendicion Alvarado try to tell the General as she is dying?
5. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
6. Describe the General's final death.
7. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
8. Describe the occurrence the General believes to be a miracle.
9. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
10. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the way in which Gabriel Garcia Marquez treats politics and dictatorships in the novel. What is he saying about dictatorship? Does his General resemble any historical dictators? If so, what effect does this resemblance have on the purpose of the book? Be sure to provide specific evidence from the text as you write your essay.
Essay Topic 2
In Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra, Garcia Marquez provides a significant foil for the General. Discuss the similarities and the contrast between these rivals for the Presidency. Some points of comparison might include each individual's use of violence or terror to control the public, the use of treachery or deceit to gain power, or the relative competence of each individual to perform the task of political leadership. Which is better suited to lead the nation? Provide evidence from the text to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is renown for his masterful manipulation of magical realism in his fiction. Address the absurd and fantastical elements in the novel. What is the intended effect of these outrageous elements? How does this contribute to the political commentary in the novel? Provide evidence from the novel to support your assertions.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)