|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what are the lepers under the rose bushes dying?
2. How does the General learn to read?
3. When the nuncio refuses to canonize Bendicion, what does the General do?
4. Where do the armed forces maintain order during the investigation of Bendicion's life?
5. What happens during the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of yellow fever to the General's position as president.
2. How does the General decide to restore the Church to the nation?
3. How does the General learn how to read?
4. Who is actually running the government by the end of Chapter 5?
5. Describe the encounter between the General and the school girl narrator in Chapter 6.
6. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
7. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
8. What does Bendicion Alvarado try to tell the General as she is dying?
9. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
10. Why does Leticia always receive inferior merchandise from the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of children in this novel. At various stages of the General's rule, we are confronted with potentially disturbing treatment of children. From the indiscriminate fathering of thousands of children to the imprisonment and slaughter of the two thousand children under seven whose job it is to control the lottery, the General commits many acts of violence against children. Why does Garcia Marquez include these acts in the novel? What does this treatment accomplish? How does it affect our perception of the General? Provide specific details from the novel as support for your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of the novel. Who concludes the novel? Why is it significant that the narrative ends with this voice? Why does the final page end with dates? What effect does this ending have on the novel as a whole? Consider the structure, motifs, and narrative structure in your answer. Support your argument using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)