|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second bulletin released after the General's death declare?
2. What is disguised as as vase of six sunflowers?
3. What happens during the wedding ceremony?
4. What is the first ceremony performed after Emanuel's birth?
5. Where are the torture chambers located before they are destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
2. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
3. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
4. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
5. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
6. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
7. How does the General learn how to read?
8. Explain the conditions under which Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra is allowed to operate the torture chamber.
9. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
10. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the novel spans such a vast period of time, much changes in the course of its plot. As the nation moves forward in history, technology encroaches on the traditional ways of life. Discuss the integration and appearance of technology in the novel. Consider the General's fascination with the gadgets he gives to Manuela Sanchez or the television campaign Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra launches against the General. How does technology creep into the novel? What is the overall effect on the work as a whole? Be sure to provide specific evidence to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Garcia Marquez has focused his novel entirely on a totalitarian dictator who maintains control over the nation for decades, if not centuries. As such, power is a central theme in the novel. What is Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of power, absolute power, and/or political power? How does the interplay of power between the General and various characters factor into this commentary? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The human and the supernatural are juxtaposed in this novel. Discuss the role of religion, fate and omens in the novel. How do these notions factor into the plot of the novel and the overall message of the work? How is religion treated in the novel? How does the General respond to fate and markers of that fate? Provide support from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)