|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Leticia touches fresh market goods?
2. What is placed in Bendicion Alvarado's hand?
3. After Leticia's funeral, what does the General do to the birds?
4. What name does Bendicion receive after the General sets up a cult in her honor?
5. What happens during the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
2. How does the General learn how to read?
3. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
4. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
5. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
6. How does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous investigate Bendicion Alvarado for sainthood?
7. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
8. Why does Leticia always receive inferior merchandise from the market?
9. What does Bendicion Alvarado try to tell the General as she is dying?
10. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the animal imagery in the novel. How does Marquez use animals to create an effect? What is this effect? Consider images such as the cow saluting the nation from the balcony in your response. Be sure to bolster your argument with support from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, General Saturno Santos is referred to as "the Indian." How does Garcia Marquez treat the indigenous culture and people of "the nation"? Why is Santos consistently referred to as the Indian? How does this character reflect on the indigenous people of "the nation"? Be sure to consider the colonial history of the nation and its effect on the people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)