|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the General do after his mother dies?
2. Where does death finally find the General?
3. What act of state importance does Emanuel perform from his baby carriage?
4. When does the first cow invade the palace?
5. What happens during the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
2. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
3. Describe the circumstances under which the General meets Leticia Nazareno.
4. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
5. Describe Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra.
6. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
7. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
8. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
9. Describe the occurrence the General believes to be a miracle.
10. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the novel spans such a vast period of time, much changes in the course of its plot. As the nation moves forward in history, technology encroaches on the traditional ways of life. Discuss the integration and appearance of technology in the novel. Consider the General's fascination with the gadgets he gives to Manuela Sanchez or the television campaign Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra launches against the General. How does technology creep into the novel? What is the overall effect on the work as a whole? Be sure to provide specific evidence to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the way in which Gabriel Garcia Marquez treats politics and dictatorships in the novel. What is he saying about dictatorship? Does his General resemble any historical dictators? If so, what effect does this resemblance have on the purpose of the book? Be sure to provide specific evidence from the text as you write your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez sets up a marked contrast between history and memory. In various instances in the novel, the official versions deviate greatly from the remembered histories. Why, do you think, Garcia Marquez creates so many discrepancies? Discuss Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of truth, history and memory. Provide evidence from the text.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)