|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as a result of the Vatican's decision in the cause of Bendicion Alvarado?
2. What does the narrator use to restore the look of life to the corpse?
3. What color are the General's socks?
4. What does the General stop to contemplate 23 times?
5. To whom does the General pray in his last moments?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
2. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
3. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
4. How does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous investigate Bendicion Alvarado for sainthood?
5. Describe the encounter between the General and the school girl narrator in Chapter 6.
6. Describe the General's final death.
7. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
8. Explain the conditions under which Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra is allowed to operate the torture chamber.
9. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
10. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gender and sexual relations in this novel. How does Garcia Marquez deal with sex, sexuality, and gender dynamics? Consider the multiple rapes, the dynamic between the General and his mother, the dynamic between the General and Manuela, and the dynamic between the General and Leticia. Integrate material from the text to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of the novel. Who concludes the novel? Why is it significant that the narrative ends with this voice? Why does the final page end with dates? What effect does this ending have on the novel as a whole? Consider the structure, motifs, and narrative structure in your answer. Support your argument using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of education in the novel. Is it significant that the General, despite his absolute power, is illiterate for much of his term? Is it at all significant that the General's wife is the person who teaches him to read? Why or why not? How does literacy and education surface in other ways in the novel? What might Garcia Marquez be saying about the nature or necessity of education? Be sure to support your argument with specific evidence from the text.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)