|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first cow invade the palace?
2. What about the General's hands indicated he would be king?
3. How many enemies did the General suspect of conspiring against him?
4. In a sack of what seems like coconuts, what does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra deliver to the General?
5. What is Bendicion Alvarado's coffin filled with, to keep her body from rotting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
2. How does Leticia Nazareno's relationship with the General begin?
3. Why does the General order the Church and its clergy to be expelled from the nation and how is this accomplished?
4. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
5. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
6. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
7. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
8. How does the General learn how to read?
9. Describe the first assassination attempt against the General's wife and son.
10. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez introduces subtle commentary on the U.S. presence in Latin America. Identify the moments in which Garcia Marquez introduces his critique and discuss how he integrates it into the text. What is his central message concerning U.S. intervention or interference in Latin American politics? Which characters or events most consistently bolster this critique? Be sure to bolster your argument with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is renown for his masterful manipulation of magical realism in his fiction. Address the absurd and fantastical elements in the novel. What is the intended effect of these outrageous elements? How does this contribute to the political commentary in the novel? Provide evidence from the novel to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of repetition in the novel. This, unlike many other works of fiction, is a novel loaded with motifs and repeated descriptions of events. How does this affect the overall structure of the work? What does this technique contribute to Garcia's overall message in the work. Use specific evidence from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)