|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the General do after his mother dies?
2. Where do the armed forces maintain order during the investigation of Bendicion's life?
3. How does Leticia legally steal from merchants at the market?
4. How had President Lauturo Munoz risen to power?
5. When does the General finally consummate his relationship with Leticia?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
2. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
3. At the end of his life, how does the General feel about power?
4. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
5. Why does the General order the Church and its clergy to be expelled from the nation and how is this accomplished?
6. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
7. Explain how the Caribbean Sea becomes U.S. property.
8. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
9. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
10. Describe the General's final death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rapes and coerced sex occur throughout the novel. How does Garcia Marquez treat sexual assault? How does it affect the novel's portrayal of women? Of the General? How does the sinner/saint dynamic play out in this novel, considering the frequent rapes? Support your argument with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Garcia Marquez has focused his novel entirely on a totalitarian dictator who maintains control over the nation for decades, if not centuries. As such, power is a central theme in the novel. What is Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of power, absolute power, and/or political power? How does the interplay of power between the General and various characters factor into this commentary? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gender and sexual relations in this novel. How does Garcia Marquez deal with sex, sexuality, and gender dynamics? Consider the multiple rapes, the dynamic between the General and his mother, the dynamic between the General and Manuela, and the dynamic between the General and Leticia. Integrate material from the text to support your assertions.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)