|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bendicion Alvarado's coffin filled with, to keep her body from rotting?
2. Where does the General get his socks?
3. When does the first cow invade the palace?
4. After both bulletins, how is the General's death finally announced?
5. What happened to the cause of Bendicion Alvarado?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra attempt to undermine the General?
2. How does Leticia force the General to marry her?
3. Explain the significance of yellow fever to the General's position as president.
4. Describe the successful assassination attempt.
5. How does the General defeat Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra's attempted coup?
6. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
7. What are the contents of the sack which appears to be full of coconuts?
8. After he has finished with the school girl, how does the General deal with her?
9. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
10. Describe the General's final death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of children in this novel. At various stages of the General's rule, we are confronted with potentially disturbing treatment of children. From the indiscriminate fathering of thousands of children to the imprisonment and slaughter of the two thousand children under seven whose job it is to control the lottery, the General commits many acts of violence against children. Why does Garcia Marquez include these acts in the novel? What does this treatment accomplish? How does it affect our perception of the General? Provide specific details from the novel as support for your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez sets up a marked contrast between history and memory. In various instances in the novel, the official versions deviate greatly from the remembered histories. Why, do you think, Garcia Marquez creates so many discrepancies? Discuss Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of truth, history and memory. Provide evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra, Garcia Marquez provides a significant foil for the General. Discuss the similarities and the contrast between these rivals for the Presidency. Some points of comparison might include each individual's use of violence or terror to control the public, the use of treachery or deceit to gain power, or the relative competence of each individual to perform the task of political leadership. Which is better suited to lead the nation? Provide evidence from the text to support your assertions.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)