|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator use to scrape away the layers disfiguring the General's body?
2. What is Death wearing when she arrives?
3. What did the Marines bring with them during their landing in the nation?
4. Which man has the gall to win at dominoes against the General without permission?
5. What does the Easter edict proclaim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the General's plan to overthrow the U.S. forces fail?
2. Describe the occurrence the General believes to be a miracle.
3. What happens to Monsignor Demetrius Aldous as he concludes his investigation of the General's mother?
4. Why does the General order the Church and its clergy to be expelled from the nation and how is this accomplished?
5. How does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous investigate Bendicion Alvarado for sainthood?
6. What does Monsignor Demetrius Aldous discover about Bendicion Alvarado?
7. Explain the conditions under which Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra is allowed to operate the torture chamber.
8. How are the creditors treated when they arrive at the palace?
9. How is Bendicion Alvarado mourned?
10. How does the General decide to restore the Church to the nation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rapes and coerced sex occur throughout the novel. How does Garcia Marquez treat sexual assault? How does it affect the novel's portrayal of women? Of the General? How does the sinner/saint dynamic play out in this novel, considering the frequent rapes? Support your argument with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of the novel. Who concludes the novel? Why is it significant that the narrative ends with this voice? Why does the final page end with dates? What effect does this ending have on the novel as a whole? Consider the structure, motifs, and narrative structure in your answer. Support your argument using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Garcia Marquez has focused his novel entirely on a totalitarian dictator who maintains control over the nation for decades, if not centuries. As such, power is a central theme in the novel. What is Garcia Marquez's commentary on the nature of power, absolute power, and/or political power? How does the interplay of power between the General and various characters factor into this commentary? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)