|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Narisco Miraval die?
2. Who lost an arm defusing a bomb intended for the General?
3. When the General looks at other nations, what pattern does he notice?
4. What is the ironic thing about the hurricane?
5. How does the General kill the old woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only man to survive the meeting of the Federalist Generals and how does he survive?
2. Describe the General's relationship with his mother
3. Describe the Caribbean Sea at the opening of Chapter 3.
4. After the U.S. occupiers leave, why is Bendicion Alvarado unhappy?
5. How are the leaders of a failed rebellion killed?
6. What is the General's "first death"? Describe the circumstances and provide details.
7. Why are the wild parrots exterminated by the Secret police?
8. How does Manuela Sanchez respond to the appearance of the comet?
9. How does the good fishwife unwittingly prove her loyalty to the General? Describe her actions.
10. Who were the Federalists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Garcia Marquez introduces subtle commentary on the U.S. presence in Latin America. Identify the moments in which Garcia Marquez introduces his critique and discuss how he integrates it into the text. What is his central message concerning U.S. intervention or interference in Latin American politics? Which characters or events most consistently bolster this critique? Be sure to bolster your argument with details from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra, Garcia Marquez provides a significant foil for the General. Discuss the similarities and the contrast between these rivals for the Presidency. Some points of comparison might include each individual's use of violence or terror to control the public, the use of treachery or deceit to gain power, or the relative competence of each individual to perform the task of political leadership. Which is better suited to lead the nation? Provide evidence from the text to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gender and sexual relations in this novel. How does Garcia Marquez deal with sex, sexuality, and gender dynamics? Consider the multiple rapes, the dynamic between the General and his mother, the dynamic between the General and Manuela, and the dynamic between the General and Leticia. Integrate material from the text to support your assertions.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)