|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the General's corpse didn't the vultures peck?
2. How does the General react to the rebellion at San Jeronimo?
3. What does the General think is the underlying cause of rebellion?
4. What happens to the bands who sack the Presidential Palace?
5. What reason did Patricio Aragones give for his claim that he and the General would meet death at a tie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of the cows in the opening scene.
2. How does the good fishwife unwittingly prove her loyalty to the General? Describe her actions.
3. Which group is the exception to the General's rebuilding policy?
4. How does Manuela Sanchez respond to the appearance of the comet?
5. Why does the General restore the March poetry contest?
6. How do the people react to the General's second death? Why do they react this way?
7. What happens at the meeting of the Federalist Generals?
8. What is the General's "second death"?
9. Describe the Caribbean Sea at the opening of Chapter 3.
10. What happens to the Defense Minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novelist's play with time and space. How would you characterize the concept of time in this novel? How does the General transcend the worldly limitations of time and space? What is the significance of Garcia Marquez's play with these concepts in the novel? What is the overall message or effect? Provide specific support for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How does Garcia Marquez handle violence in this novel? Why do so many characters meet such violent--often undeserved--ends? Think, for instance, of the two thousand children under the age of seven. Is this violence gratuitous, or does it contribute to a greater political statement? Support your answers using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ending of the novel. Who concludes the novel? Why is it significant that the narrative ends with this voice? Why does the final page end with dates? What effect does this ending have on the novel as a whole? Consider the structure, motifs, and narrative structure in your answer. Support your argument using evidence from the text.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)