|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is placed in Bendicion Alvarado's hand?
(a) A pink live tulip.
(b) Her finest oriole painting.
(c) A fine oriole.
(d) A pink silk tulip.
2. What does the General do after his mother dies?
(a) He weeps for 13 days.
(b) He calls on the local priest to give her last rites.
(c) He attempts to revive her for hours.
(d) He sleeps face-down next to her body.
3. What does the papal nuncio say about the linen shroud?
(a) It is proof of God's divinity only.
(b) It is proof of a miracle.
(c) It is a fake, produced by a painter.
(d) It is miraculous, but not proof of sainthood.
4. What did the regime papers print for years before the General's death?
(a) Fictionalized pictures of the General in front of civil and military audiences.
(b) Images of the nation's prosperity under the General.
(c) Images of the General carousing with the people.
(d) Stories of the General's supposed magnificence.
5. What act of state importance does Emanuel perform from his baby carriage?
(a) He holds meetings with his father's advisors.
(b) He presides over official acts as his father's representative.
(c) He declares times of martial law.
(d) He performs wedding ceremonies.
6. When he sees the cow, what does the General immediately remember?
(a) Cow is spelled with a C.
(b) The way his son resembled a calf fetus at birth.
(c) The cows that appeared on the lawn on the day of the invasion.
(d) The assassination attempt involving the milk cart.
7. What is the first ceremony performed after Emanuel's birth?
(a) He is appointed President.
(b) He is baptized.
(c) He is appointed Major General.
(d) He is canonized.
8. What is the only condition the General places on Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra?
(a) That he be informed of every decision de la Barra makes.
(b) That he be left ignorant of the man's actions.
(c) That he not disturb the garden dedicated to Leticia and Emanuel.
(d) That he not interfere with the General's sexual proclivities.
9. Why does the General force Leticia to cancel all her public appearances?
(a) He believes she should spend more time with their son.
(b) He fears an assassination attempt.
(c) He wants more time in the bedroom with her.
(d) He becomes jealous of her favor with the people.
10. What does Jose Ignacio Saenz de la Barra spend his money on?
(a) His fussy wife.
(b) Fine foods.
(c) The clothing of a prince.
11. What prompts the General's marriage to Leticia?
(a) Leticia becomes pregnant with Emanuel.
(b) Manuela dies, leaving the General with only one option.
(c) Bendicion Alvarado discovers an egg with two yolks.
(d) Leticia demands marriage before sex.
12. How much taffeta did Leticia steal?
(a) One hundred and ninety leagues.
(b) One hundred and ninety yards.
(c) One hundred and ninety feet.
(d) One hundred and ninety meters.
13. According to popular rumor, what does Lord Kochel eat?
(a) Iguana eggs.
(b) Freshly-boiled hens.
(c) The hot guts of beheaded people.
14. Bendicion's funeral crown is made from which of the following flowers?
(b) Orange blossoms.
15. When was the last time the General was seen in public?
(a) Before the hurricane.
(b) Before the banquet.
(c) Before the comet.
(d) Before Leticia Nazareno's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the General stop to contemplate 23 times?
2. When the nuncio refuses to canonize Bendicion, what does the General do?
3. How many enemies did the General suspect of conspiring against him?
4. What happens during the wedding ceremony?
5. Where does death finally find the General?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)