|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both as a tribute to his mother and as a joke, people begin to send the General which of the following gifts?
(a) Cages of birds.
(b) Portraits of the General and his mother.
(c) Nun's habits.
(d) Red birettas.
2. Which of the General's body parts seems out of proportion to the narrator?
(a) His feet.
(b) His ears.
(c) His hands.
(d) His sunken eyes.
3. How does the General disguise his inability to speak?
(a) Limited public appearances.
(b) His double.
(d) A recorded message.
4. Who does the General refer to as his Queen?
(a) Leticia Nazareno.
(b) Bendicion Alvarado.
(c) Lidice Santiago.
(d) Manuela Sanchez.
5. How does the General react to the rebellion at San Jeronimo?
(a) He negotiates with the dissenters.
(b) He goes to the barracks unarmed.
(c) He downs a bottle of rum and cries.
(d) He runs away in fear.
6. When the General looks at other nations, what pattern does he notice?
(a) Change, revolution and revival.
(c) The rise of strong-man governments.
(d) The decay of colonial government.
7. Which smell accompanies Manuela Sanchez?
(a) Stale perfume.
(d) Yesterday's stew.
8. Where do the lepers live?
(a) Among the rosebushes.
(b) In a special hospital.
(c) In the palace.
(d) On the streets.
9. Which item in the palace gives proof to the legend that bullets would pass through the General's body without harming him?
(a) A perforated chair.
(b) A blood-stained shirt.
(c) A perforated uniform.
(d) A bullet proof vest.
10. What did the General's escort--the Guajiro Indian--carry with him in the early days of the General's reign?
(a) A cane-cutting machete.
(b) A bottle of rum.
(c) A .32 caliber.
(d) A man-eating dog.
11. What does the General think is the underlying cause of rebellion?
(a) The people object to his cruelty.
(b) The people have too much time to think.
(c) The people dislike his policies.
(d) The people think him ridiculous.
12. The General paid the blind man 5 cents to do which of the following?
(a) Sing ballads from 12th century Spain.
(b) Recite the poems of Ruben Dario.
(c) Lose at chess.
(d) Replace all the insignia with pictures of the General.
13. What happens to the bands who sack the Presidential Palace?
(a) They are summarily executed.
(b) They are tortured in the San Jeronimo barracks.
(c) They are exiled to Spain.
(d) They are pardoned by the General at the request of Benedicion Alvarado.
14. What do the signs in the main square read as they celebrate both the General's believed death and his discovered health?
(a) Long Live The General!
(b) We Shall be Redeemed!
(c) God Save the Magnificent!
(d) God Damns Sinners!
15. When does the comet pass by Manuela Sanchez's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the General's corpse didn't the vultures peck?
2. Who is "petrified" to see the changes to the dogfight district?
3. How many people are killed during the explosion of the milk cart?
4. The remains of the General are found:
5. Which animal part are the General's hands compared to?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)