|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Prologue and Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapters 1-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writing on the submarine does Karl Selig make out as the iceberg crumbles in the Prologue of the novel?
(a) U-977 SS Kreigsmarine.
(b) SM U-101 SS Handelskrieg.
(c) UB-115 SS Kaiserliche Marine.
(d) U-1062 SS Germaniawerft.
2. Where does the narrator say Karl Selig and his team had set out to sea five weeks ago in the novel’s Prologue?
(a) Cape Town, South Africa.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Jakarta, Indonesia.
(d) New Delhi, India.
3. The iceberg that has broken off from Antarctica is described in the Prologue as having a surface area covering how much space?
(a) 26 square miles.
(b) 47 square miles.
(c) 121 square miles.
(d) 15 square miles.
4. Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 8 opens with a wire release from what news organization?
(a) BBC World Report.
(b) Toba Protocol.
(c) The Associated Press.
(d) Al Jazeera.
5. When the Nazis sent expeditions to Antarctica, they claimed part of the continent as a new German province named what, according to the narrator in the Prologue?
(d) North Rhine-Westphalia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jin’s identification number that is called out over the loudspeakers in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 11?
2. Where is the Autism Research Center that is described as the setting of Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 1?
3. The research vessel described in the opening of the Prologue is said to be how many miles off the coast of Antarctica?
4. What is the name of Dr. Kate Warner’s adoptive father who encouraged her to go abroad to continue her research?
5. In what year did Indonesia declare independence from the Netherlands?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)