Prologue and Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapters 1-20
• The Prologue of the novel is set on the Research Vessel Icefall in the Atlantic Ocean, 88 miles off the coast of Antarctica.
• Karl Selig is watching the icebergs crumble aboard the ship; he calls his graduate-school friend, Steve Cooper, over to look as a long, black object is uncovered under the ice.
• The object that appears as the ice crumbles appears to be a submarine, but it is sticking out of another metallic object, "this one gray and much, much larger than the sub."
• Karl reads part of the side of the submarine, which says U-977 SS Kreigsmarine; it is a Nazi submarine from the Nazi expeditions to Antarctica in the late 1930s.
• Steve and Karl go to check out the submarine, leaving Naomi in charge of the ship.
• When the ice begins to shatter and collapse around Steve, Karl...
This section contains 6,237 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)