|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What higher education institutes does the author discuss the creation of in Chapter 13?
2. What did Group 1 of Fourier's schema consist of?
3. How does the author describe the arrangement of the arcades that he is trying to mimic in his text in Chapter 10?
4. What did the author say class differences did along with serving the community?
5. What does the author say education paved the way for the progress of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
2. How does the author describe the differences between the young and old bohemians?
3. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
4. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
5. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
6. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
7. How does the author describe the motivations for women and children to go to work from 1820-1895?
8. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
9. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
10. What does the author say about Karl Marx's development of Communist beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Germany and France in the book. What information does the author offer us about both countries ideologies based on his comparisons of them in the book?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)