|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 11 of the book?
2. What is the name of the man who is the key character in a story by Daumier shown in Chapter 10?
3. Which of the following words is not a title page in Chapter 14?
4. What is the name of the book Karl Marx wrote that is swept under the proverbial rug in America?
5. What class are the younger bohemes a part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the British described in Chapter 13?
2. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
3. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
4. Discuss the story of a man named Gavroche in the book.
5. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
6. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
7. What is the nature of the contents of Early Draft in Chapter 14?
8. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
9. How does the author describe the differences between the young and old bohemians?
10. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's broad use of quotes and fonts in the book. How might the author be using these things to not only showcase a wide variety of ideas and theories but also the actual art form associated within each convolute in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)