|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
2. Where are the photos of the author shot in that are shown in the book?
3. What does the author say is greatly influenced by the affects of technology on culture?
4. What does the author say education paved the way for the progress of?
5. What higher education institutes does the author discuss the creation of in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
2. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
3. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
4. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
5. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
6. How might the purpose of Chapter 14 be described?
7. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
8. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
9. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
10. What is the nature of the contents of Early Draft in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)