|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author note for being something street fighting can help prevent?
2. How many generations of Bohemians does the author discuss in the book?
3. What is the title of Chapter 10 of the book?
4. How many consecutive days was the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s?
5. What does the brief schematics included in Chapter 14 say about the development of the book's layout?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
2. How does the author describe the plight of European men in Chapter 9?
3. How does the author describe the two works of the human spirit in the book?
4. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
5. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
6. How does the author describe the motivations for women and children to go to work from 1820-1895?
7. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
8. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
9. What does the author say about Karl Marx's development of Communist beliefs?
10. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)