|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author offer about the nature of Europe in hopes of educating Americans?
2. What does the author credit religion for influencing in Chapter 12?
3. What does the author credit as a commonplace phenomenon in Chapter 10?
4. How many victims does the author note for having cumulative eyestrain?
5. Which of the following areas is not mentioned as being necessary for a dynamic European life?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)