|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fourier believe was the most powerful of human passions?
2. What is the title of Chapter 13 of the book?
3. Which country is mentioned most after France and Germany?
4. How many people does the author say that Dumas's work gained employment thanks to him?
5. What is a suppressed theme throughout the book but is examined in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
2. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
3. How are the British described in Chapter 13?
4. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
5. How is the thought of relocating for work discussed in Chapter 10?
6. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
7. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
8. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
9. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
10. How does the author describe street fighting methods in Munich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)