|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is the key character in a story by Daumier shown in Chapter 10?
2. Which country is mentioned most after France and Germany?
3. What two nations does the author discuss regarding them as Continental Europe's major nations in Chapter 8?
4. How many victims does the author note for having cumulative eyestrain?
5. What does the author note for being something street fighting can help prevent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
2. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
3. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
4. How are the British described in Chapter 13?
5. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
6. How does the author describe the motivations for women and children to go to work from 1820-1895?
7. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
8. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
9. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
10. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)