|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brief schematics included in Chapter 14 say about the development of the book's layout?
2. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
3. What does the author note for being something street fighting can help prevent?
4. How many consecutive days was the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s?
5. What is the name of the artist that the author discusses in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)