|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a suppressed theme throughout the book but is examined in Chapter 12?
2. What is the name of the female boheme novelist with a man's name?
3. Which country is mentioned most after France and Germany?
4. How many plays does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
5. What does the author discuss a massive drive to increase in regard to workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the contents of Early Draft in Chapter 14?
2. How does the author describe street fighting methods in Munich?
3. How does the author define retirement in the book?
4. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
5. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
6. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
7. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
8. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
9. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
10. How does the author describe the nature of Fourier's racism in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)