|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class are the younger bohemes a part of?
2. What was Fourier's main theoretical contribution that humans were?
3. Complete the following sentence by the author regarding Fourier, "The autonomy of art has its origin in the concealment of ______".
4. What did the author say class differences did along with serving the community?
5. Who does the author claim Karl Marx took portions of Communist beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
2. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
3. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
4. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
5. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
6. How does the author describe the differences between the young and old bohemians?
7. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
8. How might the purpose of Chapter 14 be described?
9. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
10. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)