|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author say can counter or prevent open rebellion by using the right street fighting methods?
2. Which of the following areas is not mentioned as being necessary for a dynamic European life?
3. What is the span of years where French people were considered workaholics?
4. What does the author say is greatly influenced by the affects of technology on culture?
5. What other hobby does the author note for creating eyestrain like reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
2. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
3. Discuss the story of a man named Gavroche in the book.
4. How does the author describe the nature of Fourier's racism in Chapter 8?
5. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
6. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
7. What does the author say about Karl Marx's development of Communist beliefs?
8. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
9. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
10. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Germany and France in the book. What information does the author offer us about both countries ideologies based on his comparisons of them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)