|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What groups does the author note for beginning to go to work in the 1800s to help make money?
2. What is a suppressed theme throughout the book but is examined in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following words is not a title page in Chapter 14?
4. How many generations of Bohemians does the author discuss in the book?
5. What is the title of Chapter 10 of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)