|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might the author's overall appearance be described?
2. How many works does Victor Hugo believe the human spirit to have?
3. What is an integral and necessary part of the whole book according to Chapter 13?
4. How many plays does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
5. What is the title of Chapter 13 of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the nature of Fourier's racism in Chapter 8?
2. What does the author say about Karl Marx's development of Communist beliefs?
3. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
4. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
5. How does the author define retirement in the book?
6. How does the author describe the plight of European men in Chapter 9?
7. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
8. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
9. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
10. What is the nature of the contents of Early Draft in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Class struggles are a common theme found throughout the book. Part 1.) How does the author use the metaphor of street fighting to convey the class struggles of Europe? Part 2.) What boundaries does the upper class set up to ensure the failure of the lower classes? Part 3.) How do those in the lower class try and overcome their low status and become successful?
Essay Topic 3
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)