|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Victor Hugo often use as an archetype as a hero?
2. How does the author begin labeling the chapters in Chapter 10?
3. What is the title of Chapter 12 of the book?
4. What does the author say is greatly influenced by the affects of technology on culture?
5. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the story of a man named Gavroche in the book.
2. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
3. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
4. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
5. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
6. How does the author define retirement in the book?
7. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
8. What does the author say about Karl Marx's development of Communist beliefs?
9. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
10. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)