|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the brief schematics included in Chapter 14 say about the development of the book's layout?
2. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
3. What does the author note for being something street fighting can help prevent?
4. How many consecutive days was the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s?
5. What is the name of the artist that the author discusses in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)