|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author claim Karl Marx took portions of Communist beliefs?
2. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
3. What did Victor Hugo often use as an archetype as a hero?
4. What does the author say the improvement of the education system took students beyond?
5. What word did the author use to describe the nature of the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s that was finger numbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the British described in Chapter 13?
2. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
3. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
4. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
5. How does the author describe the two works of the human spirit in the book?
6. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
7. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
8. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
9. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
10. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)