|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author say class differences did along with serving the community?
2. How many works does Victor Hugo believe the human spirit to have?
3. What trait did Fourier give to those he deemed butterflies in his schema?
4. Which class are the bohemians usually not from?
5. Which country is mentioned most after France and Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
2. How are the British described in Chapter 13?
3. How does the author describe street fighting methods in Munich?
4. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
5. How is residential rioting discussed in Chapter 10?
6. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
7. How does the author describe the two works of the human spirit in the book?
8. Discuss the story of a man named Gavroche in the book.
9. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
10. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)