|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Karl Marx wrote that is swept under the proverbial rug in America?
2. What is the title of Chapter 9 of the book?
3. What notable accessory does the author wear in his photo that makes him look smart?
4. Which country along with Switzerland is mentioned in Chapter 13?
5. How many novels does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
2. How does the author describe the plight of European men in Chapter 9?
3. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
4. How does the author describe the nature of Fourier's racism in Chapter 8?
5. How does the author discuss the importance of translations at the end of Chapter 13?
6. How is the thought of relocating for work discussed in Chapter 10?
7. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
8. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
9. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
10. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)