|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious denomination does the author discuss being cultivated in the community in Chapter 12?
2. What does the author say education paved the way for the progress of?
3. What were the higher education institutes discussed in Chapter 13 made for?
4. What is the name of the man who is the key character in a story by Daumier shown in Chapter 10?
5. What is the worker's cry the author used as an example of class differences that was answered with "Let them eat cake"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)