|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many plays does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
2. What two nations does the author discuss regarding them as Continental Europe's major nations in Chapter 8?
3. What other hobby does the author note for creating eyestrain like reading?
4. What is the name of the artist that the author discusses in Chapter 10?
5. Which class are the bohemians usually not from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
2. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
3. How does the author describe the nature of Fourier's racism in Chapter 8?
4. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
5. How does the author describe street fighting methods in Munich?
6. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
7. How is the thought of relocating for work discussed in Chapter 10?
8. How might the purpose of Chapter 14 be described?
9. How does the author describe the plight of European men in Chapter 9?
10. How does the author describe the two works of the human spirit in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of humanism in the book. What can we learn about the emergence of humanist beliefs based on the portrayal of Fourier's schema of the human passions?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)