|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country does the author say has a blind spot to all the areas necessary for being dynamic?
2. What does the author discuss a massive drive to increase in regard to workers?
3. What does the brief schematics included in Chapter 14 say about the development of the book's layout?
4. Who might be the most interested in reading Chapter 14 given its subject matter?
5. What were the higher education institutes discussed in Chapter 13 made for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
2. How does the author describe the upper class's inability to relate to the lower class?
3. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
4. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
5. How does the author describe the two works of the human spirit in the book?
6. How does the author describe the differences between the young and old bohemians?
7. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
8. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
9. What role does education play in the emergence of bohemians?
10. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Class struggles are a common theme found throughout the book. Part 1.) How does the author use the metaphor of street fighting to convey the class struggles of Europe? Part 2.) What boundaries does the upper class set up to ensure the failure of the lower classes? Part 3.) How do those in the lower class try and overcome their low status and become successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)