|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language inhibits the overall artistic aspect of the book according to the author?
2. What is the heading of the first leaf page after the Chapter 14 title page?
3. Which class are the bohemians usually not from?
4. What higher education institutes does the author discuss the creation of in Chapter 13?
5. What were bohemes known to be in their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might the purpose of Chapter 14 be described?
2. How is the creation of polytechnics first discussed in the book?
3. How does the author describe the plight of European men in Chapter 9?
4. How does the author describe the motivations for women and children to go to work from 1820-1895?
5. How does the author first describe philanthropy in the book?
6. How is cumulative eyestrain described?
7. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
8. What does the author say is American's blind spot in the book?
9. How does the author describe the differences between the young and old bohemians?
10. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)