|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were used both in the railroad and the arcades during their constructions?
2. What movement is the commune built after?
3. What does the author say Baudelaire did not have as a child?
4. What occupation is the woman whose arcade is destroyed in a fire in Chapter 2?
5. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
2. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
3. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
4. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
5. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
6. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
7. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
8. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
9. How is the Commune first described in the book?
10. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)