|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is credited with most of the photos used in the book?
2. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
3. What philosopher is the primary focus of Chapter 6?
4. What decade did the arcades first emerge in France?
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
2. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
3. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
4. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
5. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
6. How is the Commune first described in the book?
7. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
8. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
9. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
10. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of humanism in the book. What can we learn about the emergence of humanist beliefs based on the portrayal of Fourier's schema of the human passions?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)