|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the letter G section of Chapter 5?
2. What country did the author Nietzche hail from?
3. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What does the author say the arcade was a precursor to in modern society?
5. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
2. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
3. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
4. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
5. How does the author describe the fate of a woman poisoner in Chapter 2?
6. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
7. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
8. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
9. How were gas lamps first used at the arcades of Paris?
10. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)