Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
2. What city are the arcades the author focuses on located?
3. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
4. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How is the story by Lisa Fittko described in the book?
6. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
7. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
8. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
9. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
10. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)