|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
2. What title was given to the poor people of France in the 19th century?
3. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
4. What were the poor people of Paris forced to do as a consequence of urban planning in the 19th century?
5. What industry does the author say allowed for the emergence of arcades because they were booming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
2. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
3. How is the Commune first described in the book?
4. How is the modern age first described in the book?
5. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
6. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
7. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
8. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
9. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
10. How does the author describe the fate of a woman poisoner in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)