|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
2. What kinds of writings were mentioned as being part of Romanticism?
3. What objects served an important purpose to separate the public in the arcades from those outside?
4. What did the arcade merchants unite to provide for the first time according to Chapter 5?
5. What movement is the commune built after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
2. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
3. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
4. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
5. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
6. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
7. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
8. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
9. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
10. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)