|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the later date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
2. What is the earlier date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
3. What was Nietzche famous for criticizing in his writings?
4. What is the title of Chapter 2?
5. What were used both in the railroad and the arcades during their constructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
2. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
4. How is the modern age first described in the book?
5. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
6. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
7. How is romanticism first described in the book?
8. How does the author describe the fate of a woman poisoner in Chapter 2?
9. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
10. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)