|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author use to distinguish sections within his chapters?
2. Who does the author say had a six-foot-high gold-plated key on their business sign at the arcade?
3. What objects served an important purpose to separate the public in the arcades from those outside?
4. What subjects did Baudelaire believe the future of literature would rely on?
5. What two centuries does the book span?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
4. How is romanticism first described in the book?
5. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
6. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
7. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
8. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
9. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
10. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of violence in the book. How does the author portray violence as necessary and useful through his accounts of street fighting and rioting in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)