|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political theory does the author focus on in Chapter 7?
2. What is the name of the middle class that emerged in Paris in the 19th century?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. How old was the young woman Baudelaire tells a story of her relationship with a 60 year old man?
5. Who is credited with most of the photos used in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's appearance in the first photos shown of him in the book?
2. How are the high glass enclosures used at the arcades described in Chapter 15?
3. How is the modern age first described in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
6. How does the author discuss religion in Chapter 12?
7. Describe the four groups involved in Fourier's schema.
8. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
9. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
10. How were gas lamps first used at the arcades of Paris?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of humanism in the book. What can we learn about the emergence of humanist beliefs based on the portrayal of Fourier's schema of the human passions?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's broad use of quotes and fonts in the book. How might the author be using these things to not only showcase a wide variety of ideas and theories but also the actual art form associated within each convolute in the book?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)