Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
2. What city are the arcades the author focuses on located?
3. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
4. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How is the story by Lisa Fittko described in the book?
6. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
7. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
8. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
9. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
10. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)