|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
2. What drug does the author discuss most throughout the book?
3. What title was given to the poor people of France in the 19th century?
4. What did the arcade merchants unite to provide for the first time according to Chapter 5?
5. What literary and cultural style popular in the 19th century is discussed in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
2. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
3. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
4. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
5. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
6. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
7. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
8. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
9. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
10. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's broad use of quotes and fonts in the book. How might the author be using these things to not only showcase a wide variety of ideas and theories but also the actual art form associated within each convolute in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of humanism in the book. What can we learn about the emergence of humanist beliefs based on the portrayal of Fourier's schema of the human passions?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)