|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose urban planning devastated the poor people of Paris in the 19th century?
2. What city are the arcades the author focuses on located?
3. What is the art form that is a printed image on wood or metal?
4. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
5. What decade does the author cover in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
2. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
3. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
4. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
5. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
6. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
7. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
8. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
9. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
10. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fantasy presented in the book. What role did the creation of fantasy within areas like the arcades play in the way others viewed society in Europe? Why did vendors feel the need to create such fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Germany and France in the book. What information does the author offer us about both countries ideologies based on his comparisons of them in the book?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)