|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
2. What city are the arcades the author focuses on located?
3. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
4. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How is the story by Lisa Fittko described in the book?
6. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
7. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
8. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
9. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
10. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 3
Education is an important theme discussed by the author who is able to show the affects of improving Europe's educational system. Part 1.) How did the author show the evolution of the educational system in Europe? Part 2.) How did those is the public alter their way of living after education was improved; i.e. shop owners becoming more educated in various art forms to better serve customers? Part 3.) How does the bohemian culture help portray the affects of being well educated and the benefits it can have on society?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)