|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does the author say allowed for the emergence of arcades because they were booming?
2. What is the title of Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
4. What type of materials rose in popularity in the 19th century?
5. What title was given to the poor people of France in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
2. How does the author describe the fate of a woman poisoner in Chapter 2?
3. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
6. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
7. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
8. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
9. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
10. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
The flaneur is an individual who chooses to wander a place and discover new things about themselves and the things around them. Part 1.) How did the author appear to take on the guise of a flaneur while writing this book? Part 2.) How might the author write the book in a way that makes the reader a flaneur? Part 3.) Based on the presence of the flaneur concept, what value might the author find in discovering the essence of your surroundings and truly getting to know all aspects instead of just one small area?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)