Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
2. What city are the arcades the author focuses on located?
3. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
4. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How is the story by Lisa Fittko described in the book?
6. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
7. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
8. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
9. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
10. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of political institutions in the book. What reason does the author have for placing emphasis on the creation of political institutions like Communism, namely when suggesting they derived from other cultures? What message might he be saying about the nature of unity even in politics?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of God and Satan in the book. What image might the author be trying to project about these two characters based on their portrayal in the book? Are these portrayals strictly religious or could they be perceived in a different way?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)