|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
2. What philosopher is the primary focus of Chapter 6?
3. What year does the author discuss Baudelaire writing to a princess?
4. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
5. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
2. How is the Commune first described in the book?
3. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
4. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
5. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
6. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
7. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
8. How were gas lamps first used at the arcades of Paris?
9. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
10. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
Essay Topic 2
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 3
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)