|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Theodor Adorno hold?
2. What country does the word Konyolute derive from?
3. What type of materials rose in popularity in the 19th century?
4. What does the author say women in Paris would do to be attractive despite it being uncomfortable?
5. What did the arcade merchants unite to provide for the first time according to Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Commune first described in the book?
2. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
3. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
4. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
5. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
6. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
7. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
8. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
9. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
10. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)