|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subjects did Baudelaire believe the future of literature would rely on?
2. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
3. What does the author say women in Paris would do to be attractive despite it being uncomfortable?
4. What is the name of the letter G section of Chapter 5?
5. What is the first artistic movement the author discusses in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
2. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
4. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
5. How is the Commune first described in the book?
6. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
7. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
8. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
9. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
10. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Germany and France in the book. What information does the author offer us about both countries ideologies based on his comparisons of them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a leading theme throughout the book that is shown evolving over the course of the book. Part 1.) What role did technology have in the success of the arcades? Part 2.) How did technology harm some aspects of society and who did it affect most? Part 3.) What triumphs did the European public find from technology and what movements did it lead to?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)