|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary and cultural style popular in the 19th century is discussed in Chapter 4?
2. What does the author say women in Paris would do to be attractive despite it being uncomfortable?
3. What drug does the author discuss most throughout the book?
4. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the princes whom Baudelaire writes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
2. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
3. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
6. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
7. How is the Commune first described in the book?
8. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
9. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
10. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The arcades play a role throughout much of the book, but their presence should be taken for more than face value. Part 1.) Why does the author try and mimic his writing to the nature of the arcades with sparse bits of information given to create a whole? Part 2.) What might the author wish for the arcades to symbolize in regards to society in the 19th century? Part 3.) Does the author wish for the arcades to serve as a vehicle to tell the story of European society's evolution over time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of humanism in the book. What can we learn about the emergence of humanist beliefs based on the portrayal of Fourier's schema of the human passions?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)