|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary and cultural style popular in the 19th century is discussed in Chapter 4?
2. What is the earlier date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
3. What word does Theodor Adorno use to describe a group of notes that share the same topics?
4. Who is credited with most of the photos used in the book?
5. What industry does the author say allowed for the emergence of arcades because they were booming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
2. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
3. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
4. How is romanticism first described in the book?
5. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
6. How were gas lamps first used at the arcades of Paris?
7. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
8. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
9. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
10. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the proletariat with the bourgeoisie in the book. What obstacles stood between these classes that set them apart from one another?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's broad use of quotes and fonts in the book. How might the author be using these things to not only showcase a wide variety of ideas and theories but also the actual art form associated within each convolute in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)