|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzche famous for criticizing in his writings?
2. What does the author say places like Paris were celebrations of the power of?
3. What title was given to the poor people of France in the 19th century?
4. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What is the title of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
2. How is romanticism first described in the book?
3. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
4. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
5. How is the modern age first described in the book?
6. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
7. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
8. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
9. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
10. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)