|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two centuries does the book span?
2. What country did the author Nietzche hail from?
3. What type of materials rose in popularity in the 19th century?
4. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
5. What is the name of the middle class that emerged in Paris in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
2. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
4. How does the author first describe the lithograph in the book?
5. How were gas lamps first used at the arcades of Paris?
6. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
7. How is the Commune first described in the book?
8. How does the author first describe surrealism in the book?
9. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
10. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of war and its impact on society in the book. What might the author be saying about the hindrances war has on writing, and thus the ability for society to evolve, given his account of Nietzsche and Hegel at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the nature of the author Walter Benjamin based on his writing style and portrayal in photographs. What assumptions can we make about the overall message the author wished for us to get from this book based on our perceptions of him?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)