|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What type of technology was first used in the arcades of Paris according to Chapter 2?
3. What two centuries does the book span?
4. Whose urban planning devastated the poor people of Paris in the 19th century?
5. Complete the following sentence from the author discussing Romantic beliefs, "The primary interest of _______ is not linguistic but optical."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author define retirement in the book?
2. How does the author describe the workaholic actions of the poor in Chapter 12?
3. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
4. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
5. How does the author describe the two distinctive ideas within Germany and France in regard to social order?
6. Discuss the story of a man named Gavroche in the book.
7. How does the author express Baudelaire's vision of urban life in the book?
8. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
9. How is Alexander Dumas first described in the book?
10. What is the nature of the contents of Early Draft in Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of work and retirement in the book. How were these two acts considered similar to one another in the European culture in the 1800s given the definition given of each term by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of urbanism in the book. What is the underlying need behind urban development, and how can it be considered prejudice given Hausmann's efforts in Paris?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of the French writer and thinker Baudelaire in the book. What ideologies does the author present of his in the book and what impact does he credit him with in relation to European culture?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)