|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class primarily of people resides in the commune?
2. Complete this sentence from the opening of Section IV of Chapter 2, "The criminals in early _______ novels are neither gentlemen nor apaches, but private citizens of the middle class".
3. What kinds of writings were mentioned as being part of Romanticism?
4. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
5. What does the author describe as "thee" capital of Europe in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the modern age first described in the book?
2. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
3. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
4. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
5. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
6. How does Hausmann's urban planning affect the poor people of Paris?
7. How is the image of the omnibus described in Chapter 7?
8. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
9. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
10. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the portrayal of lithographs and photography in the book. What reason did the author have for sometimes pitting these two mediums against one another, and what information can we learn about the modern movement based on their presence in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of the imagination that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the possibilities of the imagination based on the portrayal of the Romantics point of view in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's broad use of quotes and fonts in the book. How might the author be using these things to not only showcase a wide variety of ideas and theories but also the actual art form associated within each convolute in the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)