|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the poor people of Paris forced to do as a consequence of urban planning in the 19th century?
(a) Evacuate the city.
(b) Move to another country.
(c) Be imprisoned.
(d) Pay high taxes.
2. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
(a) Shop owners.
3. What year does the author discuss Baudelaire writing to a princess?
4. Which of the following men are not discussed in Chapter 7, Section S?
5. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
(b) Keep money.
(c) Hold bulk stock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two centuries does the book span?
2. Whose urban planning devastated the poor people of Paris in the 19th century?
3. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
4. What is the name of the princes whom Baudelaire writes to?
5. What drug does the author discuss most throughout the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
2. How is romanticism first described in the book?
3. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
4. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
5. How does the author describe imagination at the end of Chapter 6?
6. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
7. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
8. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
9. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
10. How is the Commune first described in the book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)