|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The Parisian sewer.
(c) An omnibus.
(d) A woman at a cafe.
2. What is the most important concept the author puts forth in Chapter 3?
3. What does the author say places like Paris were celebrations of the power of?
(a) The modern world.
(c) The industrialized world.
4. What kinds of writings were mentioned as being part of Romanticism?
(a) Only novels.
(b) Only poetry.
(d) Novels and poetry.
5. What literary and cultural style popular in the 19th century is discussed in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say women in Paris would do to be attractive despite it being uncomfortable?
2. What were the poor people of Paris forced to do as a consequence of urban planning in the 19th century?
3. Who does the author say had a six-foot-high gold-plated key on their business sign at the arcade?
4. What is the name of the middle class that emerged in Paris in the 19th century?
5. What objects served an important purpose to separate the public in the arcades from those outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
2. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
3. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
4. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
5. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
6. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
7. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
8. How does the author first describe a convolute in the book?
9. How is Nietzsche's writing style described in Chapter 4?
10. Describe the purpose for the author using multiple fonts in Chapter 7.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)