|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political theory does the author focus on in Chapter 7?
2. What industry relied upon the success of the iron industry in the 19th century?
(b) The Railway.
(c) Construction companies.
3. What does the author use to create a collage like feel in the text in Chapter 7?
(c) Thoughts from his head.
4. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
(a) Shop owners.
5. What is the name of the middle class that emerged in Paris in the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the following sentence from the author discussing Romantic beliefs, "The primary interest of _______ is not linguistic but optical."
2. How might the order of the first chapter be described?
3. Whose urban planning devastated the poor people of Paris in the 19th century?
4. What does the author use to distinguish sections within his chapters?
5. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the importance of manufacturing in Chapter 3?
2. How does the author discuss the use of technology at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How is romanticism first described in the book?
4. How is the modern age first described in the book?
5. How is the first lighting installed in the arcades described in the book?
6. How does the author explain his writing method for the book in regards to the Parisian arcades?
7. Describe the story told by Baudelaire of a 26-year-old woman's relationship with a 60-year-old man?
8. How are fonts first discussed in the book?
9. How is the drug culture of Europe discussed in Chapter 6?
10. How were barricades used at the arcades in Paris?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)