|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry relied upon the success of the iron industry in the 19th century?
(b) Construction companies.
(c) The Railway.
2. Which of the following things is not considered part of the psychological order the arcades created?
(a) The 19th century.
(d) European perspective.
3. In what decade does the author say business first increased at the arcades?
4. What subjects did Baudelaire believe the future of literature would rely on?
(a) Philosophy and religion.
(b) Science and philosophy.
(c) History and science.
(d) Theology and history.
5. What class primarily of people resides in the commune?
(a) Middle class.
(b) Both middle and lower class.
(c) Upper class.
(d) Lower class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does the author discuss that is spelled backwards in Chapter 6?
2. What does the author say women in Paris would do to be attractive despite it being uncomfortable?
3. What is the most important concept the author puts forth in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
5. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is romanticism first described in the book?
2. How is Theodor Adorno first described in the book?
3. How is the modern age first described in the book?
4. Describe the face pages of Chapter 2.
5. How are the sales of the arcade shops described during the mid 1800s?
6. How is the struggle between the economic and social class described in Chapter 5?
7. What does the author credit for the initial emergence of arcades in late 1830s France?
8. How is the concept of COFFEE ROOM discussed in the book?
9. How does the author discuss iron girders in Chapter 5?
10. How does the author describe the fate of a woman poisoner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)