|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term is described as stopping work and trying different things?
2. What did Group 1 of Fourier's schema consist of?
(a) The five ordinary senses.
3. What did Fourier believe was the most powerful of human passions?
(c) The senses.
4. What is the worker's cry the author used as an example of class differences that was answered with "Let them eat cake"?
(a) Food and shelter.
(b) Bread and shelter.
(c) Water and work.
(d) Bread and work.
5. Which country along with Switzerland is mentioned in Chapter 13?
6. What notable accessory does the author wear in his photo that makes him look smart?
(b) A monocle.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A top hat.
7. What parts of society does the author say he's become accustomed to in Chapter 10?
8. What is the section titled "Ecole Polytechnique" refer to in regards to the changes made in Europe in the 1800s?
(a) The education system.
(b) Class struggles.
(c) Economic policy.
(d) The textile industry.
9. Which class are the bohemians usually not from?
(a) They were from all classes.
(b) Middle class.
(c) Lower class.
(d) Higher classes.
10. What country's middle class was the first to come up with a workable solution to class differences?
11. Who might be the most interested in reading Chapter 14 given its subject matter?
(a) Those uninterested.
(b) Those mildly interested.
(c) Those looking for an overview.
(d) Those passionately interested.
12. How might the author's overall appearance be described?
(a) Inoffensive and unimpressive.
13. How does the author describe the arrangement of the arcades that he is trying to mimic in his text in Chapter 10?
14. What two nations does the author discuss regarding them as Continental Europe's major nations in Chapter 8?
(a) Russia and Germany.
(b) France and Germany.
(c) France and Britain.
(d) Germany and Italy.
15. Complete the following sentence by the author regarding Fourier, "The autonomy of art has its origin in the concealment of ______".
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 10 of the book?
2. What is the title of Chapter 8 of the book?
3. What does the author credit as offering some hope to society in Chapter 9?
4. How many novels does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
5. What is the title of Chapter 11 of the book?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)