|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say education paved the way for the progress of?
2. Which country is mentioned most after France and Germany?
3. What does the author note for being something street fighting can help prevent?
4. What did Victor Hugo often use as an archetype as a hero?
(a) A nobleman.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A beggar.
5. What is the name of the man who is the key character in a story by Daumier shown in Chapter 10?
6. What is the title of Chapter 8 of the book?
(c) Street fighting.
(d) Urban Myth.
7. What is the worker's cry the author used as an example of class differences that was answered with "Let them eat cake"?
(a) Bread and work.
(b) Food and shelter.
(c) Water and work.
(d) Bread and shelter.
8. What other hobby does the author note for creating eyestrain like reading?
9. What races does the author say Fourier disliked?
(a) Jews and Englishmen.
(b) Russians and Frenchmen.
(c) Germans and Russians.
(d) Jews and Frenchmen.
10. Which of the following words is not a title page in Chapter 14?
(a) Early Drafts.
(b) First Sketches.
11. How many generations of Bohemians does the author discuss in the book?
12. What does the author say bohemians are characterized by?
(a) Their level of education.
(b) Their wealth.
(c) Their desparity.
(d) Their art.
13. What word did the author use to describe the nature of the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s that was finger numbing?
(a) The rock.
(b) The grind.
(c) The faze.
(d) The hard spot.
14. How many victims does the author note for having cumulative eyestrain?
(c) Hundreds of thousands.
15. Which of the following traits was not included in Group 2 of Fourier's scheme?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say is greatly influenced by the affects of technology on culture?
2. What is the heading of the first leaf page after the Chapter 14 title page?
3. Which country does the author say has a blind spot to all the areas necessary for being dynamic?
4. What is a suppressed theme throughout the book but is examined in Chapter 12?
5. What does the author offer about the nature of Europe in hopes of educating Americans?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)