|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many plays does the author note Alexander Dumas for writing?
2. What did Fourier believe was the most powerful of human passions?
(a) The senses.
3. Where are the photos of the author shot in that are shown in the book?
(a) In his office.
(b) In his living room.
(d) A library.
4. Who does the author claim Karl Marx took portions of Communist beliefs?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The French.
(d) The Italians.
5. What is the worker's cry the author used as an example of class differences that was answered with "Let them eat cake"?
(a) Bread and work.
(b) Food and shelter.
(c) Bread and shelter.
(d) Water and work.
6. What did Group 1 of Fourier's schema consist of?
(a) The five ordinary senses.
7. What were the higher education institutes discussed in Chapter 13 made for?
8. What did Victor Hugo often use as an archetype as a hero?
(a) A peasant.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A nobleman.
9. Which of the following areas is not mentioned as being necessary for a dynamic European life?
10. How many consecutive days was the workweek for Europeans in the 1800s?
11. What religious denomination does the author discuss being cultivated in the community in Chapter 12?
12. Who do we see photographs of for the first time in Chapter 14?
(a) The arcade owners.
(b) The author.
(c) The politicians discussed.
(d) The writers discussed.
13. What does the author say was an unfortunate cultural reaction associated with shortage of economic policy?
(d) Residential rioting.
14. What does the author offer about the nature of Europe in hopes of educating Americans?
(a) A scolding remark.
(b) Indepth analysis of Europe.
(c) No opinion.
(d) Basic cultural history.
15. Who might be the most interested in reading Chapter 14 given its subject matter?
(a) Those passionately interested.
(b) Those looking for an overview.
(c) Those uninterested.
(d) Those mildly interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 9 of the book?
2. What kind of existence does the author say the urban development brought to Paris in Chapter 8?
3. How many works does Victor Hugo believe the human spirit to have?
4. What does the author credit religion for influencing in Chapter 12?
5. What is the title of Chapter 14 of the book?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)