|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry does the author say allowed for the emergence of arcades because they were booming?
2. How might the order of the first chapter be described?
3. How old was the young woman Baudelaire tells a story of her relationship with a 60 year old man?
4. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
5. Which of the following things is not considered part of the psychological order the arcades created?
(b) European perspective.
(d) The 19th century.
6. What is the name of the letter G section of Chapter 5?
(c) First Sketches.
(d) Exhibitions, Advertising, Grandville.
7. What decade did the arcades first emerge in France?
8. What occupation is the woman whose arcade is destroyed in a fire in Chapter 2?
(a) A chef.
(b) A poisoner.
(c) A dress maker.
(d) A baker.
9. What movement is the commune built after?
(a) The Revolution.
(b) The Modern Age.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The Technological Age.
10. What subjects did Baudelaire believe the future of literature would rely on?
(a) History and science.
(b) Philosophy and religion.
(c) Theology and history.
(d) Science and philosophy.
11. Complete the following sentence from the author discussing Romantic beliefs, "The primary interest of _______ is not linguistic but optical."
12. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
(b) Shop owners.
13. What concept does the author credit as an attribute of the modern world along with ennui?
14. Which of the following men are not discussed in Chapter 7, Section S?
15. What phrase does the author discuss that is spelled backwards in Chapter 6?
(b) COFFEE ROOM.
(c) WASHING ROOM.
(d) CHANGING STATION.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nietzche famous for criticizing in his writings?
2. What country did the author Nietzche hail from?
3. What does the author say supplanted the old soldier-laborer that the agrarian society depended on?
4. What is the later date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
5. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)