|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decade did the arcades first emerge in France?
2. What occupation does Theodor Adorno hold?
3. What drug does the author discuss most throughout the book?
4. Complete this sentence from the opening of Section IV of Chapter 2, "The criminals in early _______ novels are neither gentlemen nor apaches, but private citizens of the middle class".
5. Which of the following things is not considered part of the psychological order the arcades created?
(c) European perspective.
(d) The 19th century.
6. What type of materials rose in popularity in the 19th century?
(a) Gold and steel.
(b) Glass and iron.
(c) Glass and steel.
(d) Steel and iron.
7. What industry relied upon the success of the iron industry in the 19th century?
(b) The Railway.
(c) Construction companies.
8. What objects served an important purpose to separate the public in the arcades from those outside?
(c) Glass walls.
9. What is the name of the princes whom Baudelaire writes to?
10. What word does Theodor Adorno use to describe a group of notes that share the same topics?
11. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) An omnibus.
(c) The Parisian sewer.
(d) A woman at a cafe.
12. What was Nietzche famous for criticizing in his writings?
13. What occupation does the men discussed in Chapter 7, Section S share?
(d) Shop owners.
14. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
(b) Hold bulk stock.
(c) Keep money.
15. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
(a) The Silver Estate.
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) Crystal Palace.
(d) The Golden Cathedral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
2. What does the author say the arcade was a precursor to in modern society?
3. What is the title of Chapter 7?
4. Which of the following activities is not classified as "full bodied" by the author?
5. How old was the young woman Baudelaire tells a story of her relationship with a 60 year old man?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)