|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 7?
(b) K, L, M, N, O, P.
(c) Urban Myth.
2. What title was given to the poor people of France in the 19th century?
3. Which of the following activities is not classified as "full bodied" by the author?
(a) Weaving fabrics.
(b) Painting pictures.
(c) Building cars.
(d) Making shops.
4. What movement is the commune built after?
(a) The Revolution.
(b) The Modern Age.
(c) The Technological Age.
(d) The Black Plague.
5. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The Parisian sewer.
(b) An omnibus.
(c) A woman at a cafe.
6. What is the title of Chapter 4 of the book?
(a) The Beginning of Photography.
(b) Urban Myth.
(d) First Sketches.
7. What year does the author discuss Baudelaire writing to a princess?
8. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) Street Fighting.
9. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
(b) Chosen by the King.
(c) The people marrying each other chose.
(d) The groom chose a bride.
10. What objects served an important purpose to separate the public in the arcades from those outside?
(c) Glass walls.
11. What concept does the author credit as an attribute of the modern world along with ennui?
12. What is the later date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
13. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
(a) The bourgeoisie.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The Enlish.
(d) Those in the economic and social classes.
14. What does the author credit for giving a sense of time in the book in the form of a calendar?
15. What is the name of the letter G section of Chapter 5?
(a) Exhibitions, Advertising, Grandville.
(c) First Sketches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of writings were mentioned as being part of Romanticism?
2. What is the name of the princes whom Baudelaire writes to?
3. How old was the young woman Baudelaire tells a story of her relationship with a 60 year old man?
4. What political theory does the author focus on in Chapter 7?
5. Complete this sentence from the opening of Section IV of Chapter 2, "The criminals in early _______ novels are neither gentlemen nor apaches, but private citizens of the middle class".
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)