|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug does the author discuss most throughout the book?
2. What year did the arcades first turn a $21 million Francs profit?
3. What is the title of Chapter 4 of the book?
(b) The Beginning of Photography.
(c) Urban Myth.
(d) First Sketches.
4. Who does the author say had a six-foot-high gold-plated key on their business sign at the arcade?
(a) A professor.
(b) The locksmith.
(c) The Mayor.
(d) A cook.
5. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
(a) The Enlish.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The bourgeoisie.
(d) Those in the economic and social classes.
6. What industry relied upon the success of the iron industry in the 19th century?
(b) The Railway.
(c) Construction companies.
7. What does the author say supplanted the old soldier-laborer that the agrarian society depended on?
8. Who is credited with most of the photos used in the book?
9. What class primarily of people resides in the commune?
(a) Lower class.
(b) Both middle and lower class.
(c) Middle class.
(d) Upper class.
10. What two centuries does the book span?
(a) 19th and 20th.
(b) 18th and 19th.
(c) 17th and 18th.
(d) 20th and 21st.
11. What is the name of the princes whom Baudelaire writes to?
12. What word does Theodor Adorno use to describe a group of notes that share the same topics?
13. What phrase does the author discuss that is spelled backwards in Chapter 6?
(b) WASHING ROOM.
(c) COFFEE ROOM.
(d) CHANGING STATION.
14. How were most weddings before the 19th century in Paris described?
(a) The groom chose a bride.
(c) The people marrying each other chose.
(d) Chosen by the King.
15. What does the author say places like Paris were celebrations of the power of?
(b) The industrialized world.
(d) The modern world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men in suits sitting on in the rain in the lithography featured in Chapter 7?
2. How many street cafes were in Paris in 1757?
3. What is the art form that is a printed image on wood or metal?
4. Other than French, what other culture is represented in the poems shared in Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)