|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movement is the commune built after?
(a) The Modern Age.
(b) The Revolution.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The Technological Age.
2. What were used both in the railroad and the arcades during their constructions?
(a) Iron girders.
(b) Steel frames.
(c) Silver beams.
3. Complete this sentence from the opening of Section IV of Chapter 2, "The criminals in early _______ novels are neither gentlemen nor apaches, but private citizens of the middle class".
4. What is the title of Chapter 4 of the book?
(a) Urban Myth.
(b) First Sketches.
(d) The Beginning of Photography.
5. What year did Au Bon Marche sell 450,000 Francs?
6. What does the author say that the use of fonts give to those discussed in various sections?
(a) Self awareness.
(c) A sense of accomplishment.
(d) A voice.
7. What is the name of the letter G section of Chapter 5?
(b) First Sketches.
(c) Exhibitions, Advertising, Grandville.
8. What year did the arcades first turn a $21 million Francs profit?
9. What occupation is the woman whose arcade is destroyed in a fire in Chapter 2?
(a) A chef.
(b) A dress maker.
(c) A poisoner.
(d) A baker.
10. What does the author include a photo of at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The Parisian sewer.
(c) A woman at a cafe.
(d) An omnibus.
11. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(d) Street Fighting.
12. What is the earlier date of the face page of the expose used in Chapter 2?
13. What is the first artistic movement the author discusses in the book?
14. How old was the young woman Baudelaire tells a story of her relationship with a 60 year old man?
15. Who does the author say had a six-foot-high gold-plated key on their business sign at the arcade?
(a) A cook.
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The locksmith.
(d) A professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept does the author credit as an attribute of the modern world along with ennui?
2. What phrase does the author discuss that is spelled backwards in Chapter 6?
3. What does the author credit for giving a sense of time in the book in the form of a calendar?
4. Who is the author of the book?
5. What is the most important concept the author puts forth in Chapter 3?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)