|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author use to create a collage like feel in the text in Chapter 7?
(b) Thoughts from his head.
2. What kinds of writings were mentioned as being part of Romanticism?
(a) Only novels.
(b) Novels and poetry.
(c) Only poetry.
3. What year did the idea of public exhibition of goods occur in France?
4. How many street cafes were in Paris in 1757?
5. What type of materials rose in popularity in the 19th century?
(a) Glass and iron.
(b) Glass and steel.
(c) Steel and iron.
(d) Gold and steel.
6. What did the arcades allow merchants to do because the areas were sufficiently enclosed?
(b) Hold bulk stock.
(c) Keep money.
7. What is the most important concept the author puts forth in Chapter 3?
8. What does the author use to distinguish sections within his chapters?
(a) Different text sizes.
(b) Different fonts.
(c) Different colors.
(d) Different pages.
9. What year did the arcades first turn a $21 million Francs profit?
10. Complete the following sentence from the author discussing William Blake, "Imagination is not ______ . . . Imagination is an almost divine faculty which perceives . . ."
11. What is the title of Chapter 2?
(a) Street Fighting.
(b) The Arcades.
12. What occupation is the woman whose arcade is destroyed in a fire in Chapter 2?
(a) A chef.
(b) A poisoner.
(c) A dress maker.
(d) A baker.
13. What concept does the author credit as an attribute of the modern world along with ennui?
14. What occupation does Theodor Adorno hold?
15. Which of the following activities is not classified as "full bodied" by the author?
(a) Making shops.
(b) Painting pictures.
(c) Weaving fabrics.
(d) Building cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subjects did Baudelaire believe the future of literature would rely on?
2. Other than French, what other culture is represented in the poems shared in Chapter 2?
3. Who is credited with most of the photos used in the book?
4. What is the name of the palace in London depicted in a lithograph in Chapter 5?
5. What struggle is examined most in Chapter 5?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)