|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
2. What did Mr. Paterson argue about the New Jersey Plan?
3. Which constituents did Dr. Johnson want to placate with the plan he advocated?
4. What did Mr. Mason propose in his arguments of June 4?
5. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was constitutional monarchy unpopular?
2. How did Congress vote on the question of whether Congress should have the ability to veto state laws that violate national laws?
3. What needs did Governor Edmund Randolph of Virginia believe the Virginia Plan would satisfy that the Articles did not?
4. Which delegates took positions on the term and election of the federal executive and what were their positions?
5. How was the New Jersey Plan an alternative to the Virginia Plan?
6. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
7. Describe George Mason's speech regarding the question of a single or plural executive.
8. What were the views on either side of the question of electing representatives?
9. What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists?
10. Who opposed the election of Senators by state legislatures, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Constitutional Convention establish a strong federal government? Discuss three issues as evidence of the Constitutional Convention's centralization of power in the federal government.
Essay Topic 2
James Madison argued that the government needed wise and virtuous leaders. Debate whether a politician needs to have personal wisdom and virtue, or whether the state can use their talents regardless of their personal qualities so long as they are good leaders.
Essay Topic 3
How were populous states and small states treated differently by the Constitutional Convention? What issues divided them, and how did they balance their interests in the national government?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)