|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
2. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
3. What did Madison and Jefferson want to do about judges?
4. What reason did delegates give for Senators being elected in state legislatures?
5. What did all the delegates at the federal convention agree on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some positions delegates took on the New Jersey Plan?
2. What paradox does James Madison articulate about the need for a strong federal government?
3. Why did Benjamin Franklin believe that government officers should not receive salaries?
4. What particular example of separation of powers did delegates argue over?
5. Who opposed the election of Senators by state legislatures, and why?
6. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
7. What needs did Governor Edmund Randolph of Virginia believe the Virginia Plan would satisfy that the Articles did not?
8. What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists?
9. Where did the Federalist Papers come from?
10. Why did James Madison argue against the New Jersey Plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is articulating the Anti-Federalist platform today? Compare and contrast Anti-Federalists today and Anti-Federalists of the 1780s.
Essay Topic 2
How did the delegates at the Constitutional Convention ensure separation of powers? What measures within the ratified Constitution created the checks and balances that would ensure separation of powers?
Essay Topic 3
Delegates and other leaders published articles for and against ratification after the Constitutional Convention, and they used pen names that were often shared between authors. Why did delegates use pen names, and how was the debate affected by authors hiding themselves behind pseudonyms?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)