|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
2. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
3. Why did Mr. Wilson prefer the New Jersey Plan?
4. What theory was flourishing in the 1770s in America?
5. What did James Madison argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists?
2. Which delegates took positions on the term and election of the federal executive and what were their positions?
3. What were the delegates' positions on the question of Senatorial term limits?
4. What was the Virginia Plan?
5. What was Alexander Hamilton's argument about the need for a central government?
6. Name three or more delegates and describe their attitudes toward popular rule.
7. What was Alexander Hamilton's position concerning the executive?
8. Where did the Federalist Papers come from?
9. What particular example of separation of powers did delegates argue over?
10. How did Congress vote on the question of whether Congress should have the ability to veto state laws that violate national laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Constitution change between its first draft after being compiled, and the final draft that was ratified by the states?
Essay Topic 2
What values and what practical considerations were written into the Constitution regarding the election of government officials? How did the current electoral system evolve from the first debates through the draft Constitution and then the ratification process? What were the dominant arguments on either side of the debate, and whose values were ultimately written into the Constitution?
Essay Topic 3
What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists? Using three or four key issues, describe the fundamental differences between Federalists and Anti-federalists.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)