|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject were the delegates debating in Chapter 6?
2. How many branches of government did Mr. Madison propose be elected?
3. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
4. What did Gouverneur Morris argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
5. What did Madison and Jefferson want to do about judges?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which delegates took positions on the term and election of the federal executive and what were their positions?
2. What was Alexander Hamilton's argument about the need for a central government?
3. What was the benefit of the proposal to elect representatives in the state legislatures?
4. What needs did Governor Edmund Randolph of Virginia believe the Virginia Plan would satisfy that the Articles did not?
5. What was an argument for electing Senators in state legislatures?
6. Describe the delegates' reaction to the New Jersey Plan.
7. Who opposed the election of Senators by state legislatures, and why?
8. What were the forms of government being considered at the Constitutional Convention?
9. What were the delegates' positions on the question of Senatorial term limits?
10. Why was democracy unpopular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of the later amendments to the Constitution were anticipated by delegates and critics of the Constitution during the ratification process? Describe the political and historical context that finally brought about the amendment. Why was 1787 the wrong time for the amendment?
Essay Topic 2
How was the Bill of Rights created? Why was it not included in the original draft of the Constitution? Who called for it, and how was it arrived at? How did it change the nature of the Constitution?
Essay Topic 3
How was the Constitution changed by the ratification process? What was added? What was taken away? How did this affect the balance of powers between the states and the federal government?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)