|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
2. What happened to the motion not to give government officers salaries?
3. What subject were the delegates debating in Chapter 6?
4. What did James Madison recommend for the appointment of Supreme Court Justices?
5. What did the delegates argue concerning the question of whether the judiciary should be associated with the executive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was constitutional monarchy unpopular?
2. Why did Benjamin Franklin believe that government officers should not receive salaries?
3. In what ways were delegates afraid of executive power?
4. Why was democracy unpopular?
5. What was an argument for electing Senators in state legislatures?
6. Why did James Madison argue against the New Jersey Plan?
7. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
8. What paradox does James Madison articulate about the need for a strong federal government?
9. How did Congress vote on the question of whether Congress should have the ability to veto state laws that violate national laws?
10. What were the delegates' positions on the question of Senatorial term limits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were populous states and small states treated differently by the Constitutional Convention? What issues divided them, and how did they balance their interests in the national government?
Essay Topic 2
How was the Constitution changed by the ratification process? What was added? What was taken away? How did this affect the balance of powers between the states and the federal government?
Essay Topic 3
What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists? Using three or four key issues, describe the fundamental differences between Federalists and Anti-federalists.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)