|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
2. What power was missing from the Articles?
3. What compromise did this body propose, between the Virginia Plan and the New Jersey Plan?
4. What did Mr. Mason support at the convention?
5. What did the Virginia Plan propose to do to the Articles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Benjamin Franklin believe that government officers should not receive salaries?
2. Describe the delegates' reaction to the New Jersey Plan.
3. What were the forms of government being considered at the Constitutional Convention?
4. In what ways were delegates afraid of executive power?
5. How was the New Jersey Plan an alternative to the Virginia Plan?
6. What was an argument for electing Senators in state legislatures?
7. What were the views on either side of the question of electing representatives?
8. What were some positions delegates took on the New Jersey Plan?
9. Who opposed the election of Senators by state legislatures, and why?
10. What was the Virginia Plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Madison argued that the government needed wise and virtuous leaders. Debate whether a politician needs to have personal wisdom and virtue, or whether the state can use their talents regardless of their personal qualities so long as they are good leaders.
Essay Topic 2
How did the delegates at the Constitutional Convention ensure separation of powers? What measures within the ratified Constitution created the checks and balances that would ensure separation of powers?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. What themes are constant between the two documents? What are the main differences? What themes survived the war and the Articles of Confederation?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)