|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Sherman argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
2. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
3. What did delegates oppose in the Virginia Plan?
4. Why did delegates argue for a small senate?
5. Alexander Hamilton gave a speech that expressed what value?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which delegates took positions on the term and election of the federal executive and what were their positions?
2. What was Alexander Hamilton's argument about the need for a central government?
3. In what ways were delegates afraid of executive power?
4. What were some positions delegates took on the New Jersey Plan?
5. How did Congress vote on the question of whether Congress should have the ability to veto state laws that violate national laws?
6. What were the delegates' positions on the question of Senatorial term limits?
7. What was an argument for electing Senators in state legislatures?
8. What was the Virginia Plan?
9. What did delegates discuss regarding the appointment of judges?
10. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the delegates were ready to sign the Constitution, Mr. Gerry and Mr. Mason both made objections and predicted dire consequences if the Constitution gave too much power to the federal government. Have their predictions come true? Have their concerns been borne out?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the paradox that a government needs to be strong in order to protect the people from the government itself. How was this notion handled by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention? What allowances were made so that the government was neither too strong nor too weak? What allowances were made to protect individual freedom?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Constitution change between its first draft after being compiled, and the final draft that was ratified by the states?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)