|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
2. Who was particularly concerned about the Virginia Plan?
3. What position did "Publius" advocate?
4. What did delegates debate on June 6?
5. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument did "Cato" make concerning the separation of power?
2. What did delegates fear in the federal government's ability to veto state laws?
3. What were some positions delegates took on the New Jersey Plan?
4. In what ways were delegates afraid of executive power?
5. Why was democracy unpopular?
6. What did Melancton Smith criticize in Senatorial terms?
7. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
8. Why did James Madison argue against the New Jersey Plan?
9. Why did Benjamin Franklin believe that government officers should not receive salaries?
10. Name three or more delegates and describe their attitudes toward popular rule.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of the later amendments to the Constitution were anticipated by delegates and critics of the Constitution during the ratification process? Describe the political and historical context that finally brought about the amendment. Why was 1787 the wrong time for the amendment?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the paradox that a government needs to be strong in order to protect the people from the government itself. How was this notion handled by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention? What allowances were made so that the government was neither too strong nor too weak? What allowances were made to protect individual freedom?
Essay Topic 3
As the delegates were ready to sign the Constitution, Mr. Gerry and Mr. Mason both made objections and predicted dire consequences if the Constitution gave too much power to the federal government. Have their predictions come true? Have their concerns been borne out?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)