|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
2. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
3. Delegates were trying to strike a balance in their decision about electing representatives for the House between what?
4. What position did "Publius" advocate?
5. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Federalist Papers come from?
2. What needs did Governor Edmund Randolph of Virginia believe the Virginia Plan would satisfy that the Articles did not?
3. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
4. What was the benefit of the proposal to elect representatives in the state legislatures?
5. What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists?
6. What did delegates discuss regarding the appointment of judges?
7. Why was democracy unpopular?
8. What was the Great Compromise?
9. What paradox does James Madison articulate about the need for a strong federal government?
10. How was the New Jersey Plan an alternative to the Virginia Plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the heart of the opposition between Federalists and Anti-federalists? Using three or four key issues, describe the fundamental differences between Federalists and Anti-federalists.
Essay Topic 2
Which of the later amendments to the Constitution were anticipated by delegates and critics of the Constitution during the ratification process? Describe the political and historical context that finally brought about the amendment. Why was 1787 the wrong time for the amendment?
Essay Topic 3
How were populous states and small states treated differently by the Constitutional Convention? What issues divided them, and how did they balance their interests in the national government?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)