|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason did Alexander Hamilton give for ratification of the Constitution?
(a) Good government needs to be representative.
(b) Good government needs to be energetic.
(c) Good government needs to be deliberative.
(d) Good government cannot compete with subordinate governments.
2. What is the current residency requirement for citizenship?
(a) 7 years residence.
(b) American birth.
(c) 4 years residence.
(d) 10 years residence.
3. What was Mr. Mason's fear about the Constitution as it was then drafted?
(a) He feared that Congress did not have enough power to check the executive.
(b) He wanted a bill of rights.
(c) He feared that his constituents would not ratify the draft.
(d) He objected to the three-fifths compromise.
4. What did Gouverneur Morris advocate about executive veto power?
(a) He said that the executive veto itself should be able to be overridden.
(b) He said that the executive should have absolute veto.
(c) He said that the executive should have veto power over the legislature, but not the judiciary.
(d) He said that the executive should not have a veto.
5. What did Benjamin Franklin say about supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship?
(a) He said that delegates were opening the floodgates to a tide of poor workers by opening restrictions on immigration.
(b) He said that delegates were exaggerating the threat of European immigration.
(c) He said that delegates were cutting off sources of new talent by limiting immigration.
(d) He said that delegates were understating the ease with which people assimilate into American culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Federal Farmer" complain about in his second letter?
2. What position was James Wilson asked to take in the Constitutional debate?
3. How did Benjamin Franklin interpret the symbol on the President's chair?
4. What did the Pennsylvania dissenters recommend to the Constitutional Convention?
5. Which committee recommendation did not make it into the Constitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What positions did the delegates take on the election of the executive?
2. What did "Brutus" argue concerning standing armies?
3. Describe Patrick Henry's first speech to the Virginia legislature.
4. What did "Brutus" argue on the problem of representation in a large country?
5. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
6. How did the signing of the Constitution go?
7. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
8. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
9. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
10. What was the Constitutional Convention's debate over the slave trade, and how was it resolved?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)