|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was DeWitt in reality?
(a) A Rhode Island Federalist.
(b) A Massachusetts Anti-Federalist.
(c) A Virginian Anti-Federalist.
(d) A New York Anti-Federalist.
2. What method of ratification did Oliver Ellsworth advocate?
(a) Ratification by state legislature.
(b) Ratification national referendum.
(c) Ratification by special conventions in each state.
(d) Ratification by straw poll.
3. What did "Brutus" argue in his letters?
(a) That the framers wanted to abolish the states.
(b) That the nation was too big for a central government.
(c) That the Supreme Court had too much power.
(d) That the government will be weak on military defense.
4. What powers did Mr. Mason argue the federal judiciary should not have?
(a) The power to oversee the executive.
(b) The power to amend executive orders.
(c) The power to amend taxes.
(d) The power to change state laws.
5. What did James Wilson argue concerning the Constitution's provision for a standing army?
(a) He said that the executive would be closely reined in by the judiciary.
(b) He argued that without power to quarter troops, the army would not be a threat.
(c) He said that it was no different from under the Articles.
(d) He said that Congress would keep the army in line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Federal Farmer" say the current Constitution would lead to?
2. What did Gouverneur Morris advocate about executive veto power?
3. What did "Publius" argue regarding the fear of a centralized government?
4. What did Patrick Henry say was the end of government?
5. What did the draft of the Constitution contain concerning slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
2. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
3. What did "Brutus" argue on the problem of representation in a large country?
4. What was Mr. Gerry's objection to the Constitution?
5. Describe Patrick Henry's first speech to the Virginia legislature.
6. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
7. Describe James Wilson's speech.
8. What did "Brutus" argue concerning standing armies?
9. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
10. What was at issue as delegates debated the qualifications for suffrage?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)