|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Madison advocate concerning the election or appointment of the executive?
(a) Appointment by an electoral college would be best.
(b) Election by Congress would hurt the public interest.
(c) Election by the people would hurt the public interest.
(d) Appointment by the Supreme Court would be best.
2. What were supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship afraid of?
(a) They were afraid that the states would be able to suppress immigrant votes.
(b) They were afraid that immigrants would send too much money back to their homelands.
(c) They were afraid that the national interest would be subverted by foreigners.
(d) They were afraid that uneducated people would vote in large numbers.
3. What did "Brutus" argue in his letters?
(a) That the Supreme Court had too much power.
(b) That the government will be weak on military defense.
(c) That the nation was too big for a central government.
(d) That the framers wanted to abolish the states.
4. What did "Publius" argue regarding the fear of a centralized government?
(a) He argued that a centralized government would distribute the wealth more effectively.
(b) He argued that large nations are less dangerous than quarrelling small states.
(c) He argued that a central government would be more efficient than a number of state governments.
(d) He argued that checks and balances would lead to government paralysis.
5. How many delegates signed the Constitution?
(a) All but thirteen.
(b) All but three.
(c) All but twenty-three.
(d) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "Federal Farmer" complain about in his second letter?
2. What did James Madison worry about concerning ratification in the states?
3. What did Mr. Sherman advocate about executive veto power?
4. What was Mr. Mason's fear about the Constitution as it was then drafted?
5. What did "Centinel" argue on the danger of checks and balances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Patrick Henry's first speech to the Virginia legislature.
2. What was the Constitutional Convention's debate over the slave trade, and how was it resolved?
3. How did the signing of the Constitution go?
4. Describe James Wilson's speech.
5. What were the proposals for the requirements for citizenship?
6. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
7. What was James Madison's position on the election of the executive?
8. What were the "Federal Farmer's" arguments regarding ratification?
9. What did "Brutus" argue concerning standing armies?
10. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)