|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did "Brutus" say about the danger of trying to govern a large area?
(a) It would create tyranny.
(b) It would lead to wars.
(c) It would require too many bureaucrats.
(d) It would be expensive and inefficient.
2. What did Rhode Island propose in its ratification process?
(a) To give the people freedom of speech.
(b) To expand the government's ability to tax.
(c) To give the states the right to appoint politicians.
(d) To give the people the right to bear arms.
3. What did Mr. Sherman advocate about executive veto power?
(a) He said that the executive veto power should be limited.
(b) He said that the executive should not have a veto.
(c) He said that the executive should have absolute veto.
(d) He said that the executive should have veto power over the legislature, but not the judiciary.
4. What fear kept the delegates from approving the Constitution draft and going home?
(a) Fear that Britain will ally with Spain against America.
(b) Fear that the states are conspiring against the federal government.
(c) Fear that the federal government has too much power.
(d) Fear that slavery will divide the nation.
5. How did Patrick Henry describe fear?
(a) As the passion of slaves.
(b) As the paralyzing emotion.
(c) As the restraint of the wise.
(d) As the enemy to reason.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mr. Mason's fear about the Constitution as it was then drafted?
2. How did James Wilson address the absence of a Bill of Rights?
3. How did Benjamin Franklin interpret the symbol on the President's chair?
4. What was eliminated from the Constitution draft?
5. What did Patrick Henry say was the end of government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
2. Who objected to the Constitution and why did they object?
3. What was Mr. Mason's objection to the Constitution?
4. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
5. What were the proposals for the requirements for citizenship?
6. What was Mr. Gerry's objection to the Constitution?
7. What position did "Centinel" take regarding the ratification of the Constitution?
8. What did "Brutus" argue concerning standing armies?
9. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
10. What did Massachusetts, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island recommend after their ratification conventions?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)