|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did James Wilson address the absence of a Bill of Rights?
(a) He told his audience that a bill of rights would require some trial and error, and therefore time.
(b) He reminded his audience that the government only had the rights enumerated in the Constitution.
(c) He told his audience that it was unnecessary because certain rights were inalienable.
(d) He told his audience that there had not been enough time to write a bill of rights.
2. What fear kept the delegates from approving the Constitution draft and going home?
(a) Fear that the federal government has too much power.
(b) Fear that Britain will ally with Spain against America.
(c) Fear that slavery will divide the nation.
(d) Fear that the states are conspiring against the federal government.
3. What did James Madison worry about concerning ratification in the states?
(a) The states could hold the federal government hostage with no votes.
(b) The states could sink the ratification process.
(c) The states might not act in the national interest.
(d) The federal government would be powerless without unanimous ratification.
4. How did Patrick Henry describe fear?
(a) As the enemy to reason.
(b) As the restraint of the wise.
(c) As the paralyzing emotion.
(d) As the passion of slaves.
5. Who was the "Federal Farmer"?
(a) Horace DeWitt.
(b) Melancton Smith.
(c) James Madison.
(d) Mr. Mason.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Pinckney think about slavery?
2. What compromise did Mr. Gerry want to reject regarding the ratification of the Constitution?
3. Which party did James Wilson belong to?
4. What did Virginia propose in its ratification process?
5. What alternative did "Federal Farmer" propose in his first letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was dropped from the draft of the Constitution?
2. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
3. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
4. What was James Madison's position on the election of the executive?
5. What was the Constitutional Convention's debate over the slave trade, and how was it resolved?
6. Describe Patrick Henry's first speech to the Virginia legislature.
7. What did "Brutus" argue on the problem of representation in a large country?
8. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
9. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
10. What was Mr. Mason's objection to the Constitution?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)