|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Paterson argue about the New Jersey Plan?
(a) That it made the federal government too independent.
(b) That it did not give the executive too much power.
(c) That it did not protect the states enough.
(d) That it diminished the power of the states.
2. How much of the Virginia Plan was accepted?
(a) A few key provisions.
(b) None of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) Most of it.
3. What was James Madison's feeling about the compromise?
(a) He felt that the convention was sacrificing federalism to distributed power.
(b) He felt that the convention was striking the right balance.
(c) He felt that the convention was sacrificing large states to small states.
(d) He felt that the convention was sacrificing justice for the small states.
4. What did Mr. Mason propose in his arguments of June 4?
(a) That the executive be chosen in popular elections.
(b) That there be an executive for each region.
(c) That the executive be appointed by Congress.
(d) That there be two executives, like Roman consuls.
5. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
(a) Too much foreign influence.
(b) Too little religion.
(c) Too much democracy.
(d) Too little representation in government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Mr. Mason give for the view he presented at the convention?
2. Alexander Hamilton gave a speech that expressed what value?
3. Who wrote the introduction to this edition of "The Anti-Federalist Papers"?
4. Which constituents did Dr. Johnson want to placate with the plan he advocated?
5. What plan did James Madison favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was added to the draft of the Constitution?
2. What were the different views on the question of ratification of the Constitution?
3. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
4. What did delegates fear in the federal government's ability to veto state laws?
5. What was Alexander Hamilton's argument about the need for a central government?
6. What did the dissenters say after losing the ratification vote in the Pennsylvania convention?
7. Describe Patrick Henry's second speech to the Virginia legislature.
8. Describe James Wilson's speech.
9. How did Publius respond to Anti-Federalist concerns about tyranny in the Constitution?
10. What role did Alexander Hamilton see for a strong federal government?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)