Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
(a) Representative democracy.
(d) Constitutional monarchy.
2. Alexander Hamilton gave a speech that expressed what value?
(a) The value of a strong federal government.
(b) The value of independent states.
(c) The value of low tariffs.
(d) The value of abolishing slavery.
3. What reason did Mr. Mason give for the view he presented at the convention?
(a) The populace needed power but they also needed to be checked.
(b) The people could not be trusted to govern themselves.
(c) Representation should be the one fully democratic part of government.
(d) Democracy was dangerous for a country without precedents.
4. What happened to the motion not to give government officers salaries?
(a) It was rejected as too aristocratic.
(b) It was tabled to be voted on later.
(c) It was killed in committee.
(d) It was rejected as impractical.
5. What reason did delegates give for Senators being elected in state legislatures?
(a) They would already know the laws.
(b) They would therefore be men of character.
(c) They would therefore be essentially promoted from within.
(d) They would have the contacts they needed within the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alexander Hamilton propose in his speech?
2. What were opponents of the resolution that was ultimately adopted afraid of?
3. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
4. What deliberative body created a compromise between the Virginia Plan and the New Jersey Plan?
5. What plan did James Madison favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What needs did Governor Edmund Randolph of Virginia believe the Virginia Plan would satisfy that the Articles did not?
2. What were the proposals for the requirements for citizenship?
3. What was an argument for electing Senators in state legislatures?
4. What was Alexander Hamilton's argument about the need for a central government?
5. Who opposed the election of Senators by state legislatures, and why?
6. What was DeWitt's position on ratification?
7. What were the "Federal Farmer's" arguments regarding ratification?
8. What was the Virginia Plan?
9. Describe the delegates' reaction to the New Jersey Plan.
10. Why was constitutional monarchy unpopular?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)