|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which form of government includes a king whose powers are limited by a statement of the laws?
(c) Constitutional monarchy.
(d) Representative democracy.
2. What did Mr. Paterson argue about the New Jersey Plan?
(a) That it diminished the power of the states.
(b) That it made the federal government too independent.
(c) That it did not protect the states enough.
(d) That it did not give the executive too much power.
3. Why did delegates argue for a small senate?
(a) They thought it would make for debate that is more dignified.
(b) They thought it would make Senators more intimate and therefore more willing to compromise.
(c) They thought it would give the large states fair representation.
(d) They thought it would limit the influence of the executive.
4. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
(a) The political process itself.
(b) The power of the government.
(c) Consent of the governed.
(d) The righteousness of laws.
5. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
(a) As a duty.
(b) As an entitlement.
(c) As a privilege.
(d) As a stepping stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
2. What plan did James Madison favor?
3. What kind of political thought was flourishing in the 1770s in America?
4. Where did Mr. Sherman say election should take place?
5. Where do delegates think that authority needs to originate in order to be legitimate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways were delegates afraid of executive power?
2. What did delegates discuss regarding the appointment of judges?
3. What was the Great Compromise?
4. What particular example of separation of powers did delegates argue over?
5. What paradox does James Madison articulate about the need for a strong federal government?
6. What was the Virginia Plan?
7. Why was constitutional monarchy unpopular?
8. How was the New Jersey Plan an alternative to the Virginia Plan?
9. Why was democracy unpopular?
10. Describe the delegates' reaction to the New Jersey Plan.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)