|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of rulers did James Madison believe the country needed?
(a) Innocent, smart individuals.
(b) Old world aristocrats.
(c) Leaders with frontier experience.
(d) Wise, virtuous individuals.
2. What did Edmund Randolph present to the delegates?
(a) Articles of Confederation.
(b) The New Jersey Plan.
(c) The Great Compromise.
(d) The Virginia Plan.
3. What did Madison and Jefferson want to do about judges?
(a) Review their judgments in the Congress.
(b) Protect them from popular politics.
(c) Allow them independence in their rulings.
(d) Subject them to elections.
4. What did James Madison support?
(a) Strong state governments.
(b) A strong federal government.
(c) A system of checks and balances.
(d) A government of businesses.
5. What did a legitimate government require, in James Madison's opinion?
(a) Freedom from debt.
(b) Direct democracy.
(c) A strong military.
6. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
(a) He said that elections are a step in dissolving government.
(b) He said that elections are essential for free government.
(c) He said that elections could be bought too easily to be trusted.
(d) He said that elections are too important to trust to the people.
7. What did all the delegates at the federal convention agree on?
(a) The rights of a king.
(b) The importance of a strong central government.
(c) Laissez-faire economic policy.
(d) Government by consent.
8. What did James Madison argue during the argument over representation by person or by state?
(a) The ruling classes would benefit by representation by state.
(b) The populace would not be served by state representatives.
(c) Fairness argued for representation by state.
(d) Popular sovereignty argued for representation by person.
9. What plan did James Madison favor?
(a) A federal plan.
(b) A diplomatic plan.
(c) An isolationist plan.
(d) A state-centric plan.
10. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
(a) Foreign influence.
(c) The government itself.
(d) Big businesses.
11. What did Randolph argue at the convention?
(a) That the Constitution would need to stress diplomacy with foreign nations.
(b) That the Articles of Confederation were sufficient.
(c) That the states should be trusted with managing their own affairs.
(d) That the government needs to be strong to serve its purposes.
12. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
(a) Insulating the federal government from individuals in the states.
(b) Creating a check against popular democracy.
(c) Improving upon the process by which the people were represented.
(d) Raising the Senate above popular opinion.
13. Why did delegates argue for a judicial veto power?
(a) To prevent bad executive judgment.
(b) To correct bad laws.
(c) To protect small states.
(d) To prevent corruption.
14. What was the Great Compromise?
(a) The creation of the Electoral College.
(b) Bring Texas into the union as a slave state, and Missouri as free.
(c) A bicameral legislature.
(d) Appoint judges for life, but allow them to be impeached.
15. What did George Mason argue in the debate of June 4?
(a) He argued against a unified executive.
(b) He argued for a unified executive.
(c) He argued for an appointed executive.
(d) He argued for an elected executive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do delegates think that authority needs to originate in order to be legitimate?
2. What were opponents of the resolution that was ultimately adopted afraid of?
3. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
4. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
5. What kind of political thought was flourishing in the 1770s in America?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)