|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 43-45, Appendices I and II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Pinckney think about slavery?
(a) That it was the rock on which the nation could founder.
(b) That it was a practical matter of power.
(c) That it was morally legitimate.
(d) That it was reprehensible.
2. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
(a) The power of the government.
(b) Consent of the governed.
(c) The righteousness of laws.
(d) The political process itself.
3. What was the benefit of adopting the resolution that was ultimately adopted?
(a) It weakened the Articles of Confederation and gave the states more power.
(b) It created a need for a lot of inter-state lawsuits.
(c) It resolved decades of inter-state tension.
(d) It allowed the federal government to be effective.
4. What did James Wilson argue regarding the abolition of trial by jury at the federal level?
(a) He said that trial by military tribunal was just as fair.
(b) He said that it would be compensated by strong protections at the state level.
(c) He said it was not a general problem.
(d) He said that there would not be many cases where this applied.
5. Why did delegates argue for a small senate?
(a) They thought it would limit the influence of the executive.
(b) They thought it would make Senators more intimate and therefore more willing to compromise.
(c) They thought it would make for debate that is more dignified.
(d) They thought it would give the large states fair representation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
2. How extensive were the changes the delegates made to the first draft of the Constitution?
3. What deliberative body created a compromise between the Virginia Plan and the New Jersey Plan?
4. What did Madison say the country needed, in his letter to George Washington?
5. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)