|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 43-45, Appendices I and II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
(a) The righteousness of laws.
(b) The power of the government.
(c) The political process itself.
(d) Consent of the governed.
2. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
(a) State laws could still take precedence.
(b) Congressional laws were still the law of the land.
(c) The Supreme Court would decide on a state-by-state basis which laws took precedence.
(d) It gave the states priority in matters of trade, but the federal government priority in military matters.
3. What did Mr. Mason support at the convention?
(a) Election by state legislatures.
(b) Appointment by the President.
(c) Election by the people.
(d) Election of Senators by Senators.
4. What kind of rulers did James Madison believe the country needed?
(a) Wise, virtuous individuals.
(b) Old world aristocrats.
(c) Innocent, smart individuals.
(d) Leaders with frontier experience.
5. What did Massachusetts propose in its ratification process?
(a) Restrictions on the standing army.
(b) Restrictions on alcohol sales.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Restrictions on taxation power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did delegates oppose in the Virginia Plan?
2. What did James Wilson argue concerning the question of taxation?
3. What did Virginia propose in its ratification process?
4. What did the convention call for on July 26?
5. Why did delegates argue for a small senate?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)