|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 43-45, Appendices I and II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did James Madison recommend for the appointment of Supreme Court Justices?
(a) That appointments be susceptible to two-thirds vote override by the Congress.
(b) That appointments be beyond contest.
(c) That judges should be appointed for seven-year terms.
(d) That judges should be elected.
2. Which committee recommendation did not make it into the Constitution?
(a) The Electoral College.
(b) The Senate should choose the President in case of a tie in the Electoral College.
(c) Senate can amend budget bills.
(d) Four year terms for President and vice-President.
3. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
(a) Legislators would have to have wealthy patrons.
(b) Men who needed money would be liable to be influenced by special interests.
(c) Men who lusted for power and money would not run for office.
(d) The government would consist solely of landed gentry.
4. What did Mr. Sherman advocate about executive veto power?
(a) He said that the executive should not have a veto.
(b) He said that the executive veto power should be limited.
(c) He said that the executive should have absolute veto.
(d) He said that the executive should have veto power over the legislature, but not the judiciary.
5. What threat did Mr. Pinckney make if Congress has power to restrict the slave trade?
(a) To withhold ratification.
(b) To march on Washington.
(c) To secede.
(d) To filibuster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
2. What resolution was ultimately adopted?
3. Delegates were trying to strike a balance in their decision about electing representatives for the House between what?
4. What did the Southern economy rely on at the time of the constitutional convention?
5. Where did Mr. Sherman say election should take place?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)