|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 43-45, Appendices I and II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear kept the delegates from approving the Constitution draft and going home?
(a) Fear that Britain will ally with Spain against America.
(b) Fear that the federal government has too much power.
(c) Fear that slavery will divide the nation.
(d) Fear that the states are conspiring against the federal government.
2. What imbalance gave James Madison cause for worry about ratification in the states?
(a) The disparity between national and state interests.
(b) The disparity between Northern and Southern state interests.
(c) The disparity between landowners and laborers.
(d) The disparity between East Coast states and frontier territories.
3. What did opponents of the resolution that was ultimately adopted think would be the consequence of adopting the proposal?
(a) That the states would lose tax income to the federal government.
(b) That the states would be eradicated.
(c) That the states would have to band together to oppose the government.
(d) That states would work by region to set their own laws and standards.
4. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
(a) The threat of concentrated executive power.
(b) The danger of foreign influence.
(c) The threat of mob rule.
(d) The problems with devising a scheme of representation.
5. Who was the "Federal Farmer"?
(a) Horace DeWitt.
(b) Melancton Smith.
(c) James Madison.
(d) Mr. Mason.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
2. What were supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship afraid of?
3. What did Melancton Smith say about the number of representatives in Congress?
4. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
5. What did Mr. Sherman argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)