|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 43-45, Appendices I and II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did James Madison worry about concerning ratification in the states?
(a) The states might not act in the national interest.
(b) The states could hold the federal government hostage with no votes.
(c) The federal government would be powerless without unanimous ratification.
(d) The states could sink the ratification process.
2. What did Randolph argue at the convention?
(a) That the Constitution would need to stress diplomacy with foreign nations.
(b) That the states should be trusted with managing their own affairs.
(c) That the Articles of Confederation were sufficient.
(d) That the government needs to be strong to serve its purposes.
3. What did Melancton Smith object to in the Constitution?
(a) The independence of the Supreme Court.
(b) The structure of the House and Senate.
(c) The powerlessness of the Supreme Court.
(d) The power of the executive.
4. What did James Madison recommend for the appointment of Supreme Court Justices?
(a) That judges should be elected.
(b) That appointments be beyond contest.
(c) That appointments be susceptible to two-thirds vote override by the Congress.
(d) That judges should be appointed for seven-year terms.
5. What did Mr. Pinckney think about slavery?
(a) That it was a practical matter of power.
(b) That it was the rock on which the nation could founder.
(c) That it was morally legitimate.
(d) That it was reprehensible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massachusetts propose in its ratification process?
2. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
3. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
4. What did the Pennsylvania dissenters recommend to the Constitutional Convention?
5. What did all the delegates at the federal convention agree on?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)