|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 35-38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
(a) The government itself.
(c) Big businesses.
(d) Foreign influence.
2. What compromise did this body propose, between the Virginia Plan and the New Jersey Plan?
(a) State representation in the upper house, and representation by person in the lower house.
(b) Missouri entered the union as a free state, and Texas as a slave state.
(c) Supreme Court Judges would be appointed by the executive, but the Congress could override the appointment.
(d) The government would maintain a standing army, but not a big one.
3. Why did many delegates support one resolution to this question?
(a) To reduce the federal government's power.
(b) To cater to the states' needs.
(c) To avoid dissension.
(d) To limit the independence of the federal government.
4. What did Mr. Pinckney think about slavery?
(a) That it was a practical matter of power.
(b) That it was morally legitimate.
(c) That it was reprehensible.
(d) That it was the rock on which the nation could founder.
5. What did James Madison recommend for the appointment of Supreme Court Justices?
(a) That appointments be beyond contest.
(b) That appointments be susceptible to two-thirds vote override by the Congress.
(c) That judges should be elected.
(d) That judges should be appointed for seven-year terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship afraid of?
2. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
3. What was Mr. Wilson's feeling about the compromise?
4. What did Mr. Sherman argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
5. What did delegates debate on June 6?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)