|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 35-38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of political thought was flourishing in the 1770s in America?
(a) Aristocratic political thought.
(b) Radical political thought.
(c) Practical political thought.
(d) Conservative political thought.
2. What position did "Publius" advocate?
(a) Attacking the new Constitution.
(b) Defending the new Constitution.
(c) Proposing an alternative to the Constitution.
(d) Arguing against ratification of the Constitution.
3. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
(a) Congressional laws were still the law of the land.
(b) State laws could still take precedence.
(c) It gave the states priority in matters of trade, but the federal government priority in military matters.
(d) The Supreme Court would decide on a state-by-state basis which laws took precedence.
4. What did "Centinel" argue on the danger of a centralized government?
(a) Class mobility will decrease, as the central government raises taxes.
(b) The Constitution will threaten liberty.
(c) Taxation will be worse with a central tax collector.
(d) States will have to fend for themselves if they oppose the national government.
5. What did James Wilson argue concerning the Constitution's provision for a standing army?
(a) He said that it was no different from under the Articles.
(b) He said that Congress would keep the army in line.
(c) He said that the executive would be closely reined in by the judiciary.
(d) He argued that without power to quarter troops, the army would not be a threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did opponents to the suffrage limitation argue?
2. What was James Madison's feeling about the compromise?
3. Which form of government includes a representative government without hereditary privilege?
4. What was the benefit of adopting the resolution that was ultimately adopted?
5. What argument did James Madison make concerning the fear of a centralized government?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)