|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 29-30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was eliminated from the Constitution draft?
(a) Restriction on imports.
(b) Laws governing territories and provinces.
(c) Protections against taxes on slavery.
(d) Property qualifications for office.
2. What did James Madison argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
(a) He argued that the executive and the legislature should be kept separate.
(b) He argued that the legislature should appoint the executive.
(c) He argued that the legislature should elect the executive.
(d) He argued that the Supreme Court should appoint the executive.
3. What did Gouverneur Morris advocate about executive veto power?
(a) He said that the executive should have absolute veto.
(b) He said that the executive should have veto power over the legislature, but not the judiciary.
(c) He said that the executive should not have a veto.
(d) He said that the executive veto itself should be able to be overridden.
4. What fear kept the delegates from approving the Constitution draft and going home?
(a) Fear that the federal government has too much power.
(b) Fear that slavery will divide the nation.
(c) Fear that Britain will ally with Spain against America.
(d) Fear that the states are conspiring against the federal government.
5. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
(a) The threat of concentrated executive power.
(b) The danger of foreign influence.
(c) The threat of mob rule.
(d) The problems with devising a scheme of representation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Madison say the country needed, in his letter to George Washington?
2. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
3. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
4. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
5. What was James Madison's feeling about the compromise?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)