|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gouverneur Morris argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
(a) He argued that the executive should be elected by the Congress.
(b) He argued that the executive should be appointed by the Senate.
(c) He argued that the executive should be elected by the people.
(d) He argued that the executive should be appointed by the Supreme Court.
2. What did delegates oppose in the Virginia Plan?
(a) Giving the states too much independence.
(b) Giving populous states too much influence.
(c) Isolating America in the international community.
(d) Increasing the federal government's power.
3. What was the dominant fear about the executive?
(a) The power to regulate trade.
(b) The power to go to war.
(c) The power to impose taxes.
(d) The power to appoint judges.
4. What subject were the delegates debating in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether the executive should be singular or plural.
(b) Whether government officers should receive pay.
(c) Who should be eligible to vote in elections.
(d) Whether the federal government should oversee state laws.
5. How did the New Jersey Plan resolve the question of the relationship of state laws to federal laws?
(a) State laws could still take precedence.
(b) The Supreme Court would decide on a state-by-state basis which laws took precedence.
(c) It gave the states priority in matters of trade, but the federal government priority in military matters.
(d) Congressional laws were still the law of the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James Madison argue concerning the question of whether the executive should be chosen by the legislature?
2. What did Dr. Johnson advocate during the debate over federal power?
3. What resolution was ultimately adopted?
4. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
5. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)