|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did James Madison recommend for the appointment of Supreme Court Justices?
(a) That appointments be beyond contest.
(b) That appointments be susceptible to two-thirds vote override by the Congress.
(c) That judges should be elected.
(d) That judges should be appointed for seven-year terms.
2. What kind of representation did James Madison advocate?
(a) Representation by revenue.
(b) Representation by state.
(c) Representation by state size.
(d) Representation by person.
3. What reason did Mr. Mason give for the view he presented at the convention?
(a) Democracy was dangerous for a country without precedents.
(b) The people could not be trusted to govern themselves.
(c) Representation should be the one fully democratic part of government.
(d) The populace needed power but they also needed to be checked.
4. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
(a) Raising the Senate above popular opinion.
(b) Creating a check against popular democracy.
(c) Improving upon the process by which the people were represented.
(d) Insulating the federal government from individuals in the states.
5. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
(a) The danger of foreign influence.
(b) The threat of mob rule.
(c) The threat of concentrated executive power.
(d) The problems with devising a scheme of representation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the objection to constitutional monarchy at the constitutional convention?
2. What did Madison and Jefferson want to do about judges?
3. What were Americans concluding by the 1780s?
4. What did Alexander Hamilton want to protect the executive from?
5. What kind of rulers did James Madison believe the country needed?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)