|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason did delegates give for Senators being elected in state legislatures?
(a) They would therefore be essentially promoted from within.
(b) They would already know the laws.
(c) They would therefore be men of character.
(d) They would have the contacts they needed within the state.
2. What happened to the motion not to give government officers salaries?
(a) It was killed in committee.
(b) It was rejected as too aristocratic.
(c) It was tabled to be voted on later.
(d) It was rejected as impractical.
3. What did James Madison argue with relation to the New Jersey Plan?
(a) It will give too much power to small states.
(b) It cannot support itself with tax revenue.
(c) It cannot settle arguments between the states.
(d) It will not protect small states from bigger states.
4. What did opponents of the resolution that was ultimately adopted think would be the consequence of adopting the proposal?
(a) That the states would be eradicated.
(b) That the states would lose tax income to the federal government.
(c) That states would work by region to set their own laws and standards.
(d) That the states would have to band together to oppose the government.
5. What did Dr. Johnson advocate during the debate over federal power?
(a) Reducing the size of the federal government.
(b) Preserving state power.
(c) Centralizing power in the federal government.
(d) Instituting a Supreme Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which constituents did Dr. Johnson want to placate with the plan he advocated?
2. What did Madison and Jefferson want to do about judges?
3. What plan did James Madison favor?
4. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
5. What did delegates suggest would happen if state legislatures chose Representatives for the House?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)