|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Madison stress in his letter to George Washington?
(a) The need for representation by population.
(b) The need for high taxes to pay for federal army and government.
(c) The need for representation by state and region.
(d) The need for restraints on popular sentiment.
2. What resolution was ultimately adopted?
(a) To give federal laws supremacy over state laws.
(b) To allow the Supreme Court to decide which laws were supreme.
(c) To give state laws independence from the federal legislature.
(d) To prevent the federal government from overriding state laws.
3. What did the delegates debate concerning state laws?
(a) Whether the federal government could control state laws.
(b) Whether the states could allow the death penalty.
(c) Whether state laws could set precedent for federal laws.
(d) Whether state laws could govern inter-state trade.
4. Why did Mr. Wilson prefer the New Jersey Plan?
(a) Because it provided multiple legislative houses.
(b) Because it provided for a standing army.
(c) Because it protected America from European influence.
(d) Because it centralized power in the executive.
5. What were Americans concluding by the 1780s?
(a) That there was too much power in the federal government.
(b) That the federal executive was too weak.
(c) That mercantile colonialism had been a working model before the revolution.
(d) That representation could have been earned without warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did delegates oppose in the Virginia Plan?
2. What was cut out when the Constitutional Convention doted down part of the Virginia Plan?
3. Delegates were trying to strike a balance in their decision about electing representatives for the House between what?
4. Where did James Madison argue government legitimacy came from?
5. Why did delegates argue for a small senate?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)