|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason did Mr. Mason give for the view he presented at the convention?
(a) Democracy was dangerous for a country without precedents.
(b) Representation should be the one fully democratic part of government.
(c) The populace needed power but they also needed to be checked.
(d) The people could not be trusted to govern themselves.
2. Who proposed that government officers not receive salaries?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) George Washington.
3. What did delegates suggest would happen if state legislatures chose Representatives for the House?
(a) The people would revolt.
(b) The states would acquire too much power.
(c) State and federal powers would balance.
(d) The government would not be legitimate.
4. How did the South want the Constitution to regulate trade?
(a) The South wanted the Constitution not to regulate trade at all.
(b) The South wanted the Constitution to let Congress set tariffs with a simple majority vote.
(c) The South wanted the Constitution to keep Congress from restricting trade.
(d) The South wanted the Constitution to keep tariffs low indefinitely.
5. What did Madison and Jefferson feel about Virginia?
(a) That the executive was too weak.
(b) That international trade would solve its budget problems.
(c) That democracy restricted the leaders.
(d) That the taxation rates were too low.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James Madison support?
2. What power was missing from the Articles?
3. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
4. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
5. What did George Mason argue in the debate of June 4?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)