|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the South want the Constitution to regulate trade?
(a) The South wanted the Constitution not to regulate trade at all.
(b) The South wanted the Constitution to keep tariffs low indefinitely.
(c) The South wanted the Constitution to let Congress set tariffs with a simple majority vote.
(d) The South wanted the Constitution to keep Congress from restricting trade.
2. What happened to the motion not to give government officers salaries?
(a) It was killed in committee.
(b) It was rejected as too aristocratic.
(c) It was rejected as impractical.
(d) It was tabled to be voted on later.
3. What did all the delegates at the federal convention agree on?
(a) The importance of a strong central government.
(b) Government by consent.
(c) Laissez-faire economic policy.
(d) The rights of a king.
4. What complaints were lodged against the proposal to elect Senators in state legislatures?
(a) It would create a plutocracy.
(b) It would over-represent the small states.
(c) It would dissipate federal power among the states.
(d) It would give too much power to large states.
5. What reason did Mr. Mason give for the view he presented at the convention?
(a) The populace needed power but they also needed to be checked.
(b) Democracy was dangerous for a country without precedents.
(c) The people could not be trusted to govern themselves.
(d) Representation should be the one fully democratic part of government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mr. Gerry think the country's current troubles came from?
2. What did James Madison support?
3. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
4. What were the delegates debating in Chapter 3?
5. What did delegates debate on June 6?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)