|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: The Federal Convention of 1787, Chapter 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion bolstered Mr. Sherman's view about where election should take place?
(a) He believed that small states needed equal representation.
(b) He believed that people could be trusted with self-governance.
(c) He believed in a strong democracy.
(d) He believed that the populace could be misled.
2. What did James Madison support?
(a) A system of checks and balances.
(b) Strong state governments.
(c) A government of businesses.
(d) A strong federal government.
3. What thoughts did Mr. Wilson express at the convention?
(a) Popular election will give people confidence in the government.
(b) Popular election will lead to a tyranny of the masses.
(c) Popular election will allow the people to mislead each other.
(d) Popular election will debase public discourse.
4. Who wrote the introduction to this edition of "The Anti-Federalist Papers"?
(a) Ralph Ketcham.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Sacvan Bercovitch.
(d) James Madison.
5. Where did Mr. Sherman say election should take place?
(a) In the Electoral College.
(b) Among sitting representatives.
(c) In the popular polls.
(d) In the state legislatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power was missing from the Articles?
2. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
3. What did the Virginia Plan propose to do to the Articles?
4. What theory was flourishing in the 1770s in America?
5. Which form of government includes a representative government without hereditary privilege?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)