|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 35-38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was James Madison's feeling about the compromise?
(a) He felt that the convention was striking the right balance.
(b) He felt that the convention was sacrificing federalism to distributed power.
(c) He felt that the convention was sacrificing large states to small states.
(d) He felt that the convention was sacrificing justice for the small states.
2. What did William Paterson offer the convention?
(a) The New Jersey Plan.
(b) The Great Compromise.
(c) The Virginia Plan.
(d) The Missouri Compromise.
3. Why did delegates argue that Senators should be elected in state legislatures?
(a) The government would be composed of professional politicians.
(b) The state legislatures would thereby gain power against the federal government.
(c) The states would therefore have an interest in preserving the federal government.
(d) The House of Representatives would be counter-balanced.
4. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
(a) The government would consist solely of landed gentry.
(b) Legislators would have to have wealthy patrons.
(c) Men who lusted for power and money would not run for office.
(d) Men who needed money would be liable to be influenced by special interests.
5. What did Patrick Henry say was the end of government?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which committee recommendation did not make it into the Constitution?
2. What method of ratification did Oliver Ellsworth advocate?
3. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
4. What were Americans concluding by the 1780s?
5. How many delegates signed the Constitution?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)