|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
(a) Creating a check against popular democracy.
(b) Improving upon the process by which the people were represented.
(c) Insulating the federal government from individuals in the states.
(d) Raising the Senate above popular opinion.
2. What thoughts did Mr. Wilson express at the convention?
(a) Popular election will lead to a tyranny of the masses.
(b) Popular election will give people confidence in the government.
(c) Popular election will allow the people to mislead each other.
(d) Popular election will debase public discourse.
3. How much of the Virginia Plan was accepted?
(a) None of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) A few key provisions.
(d) Most of it.
4. Delegates were trying to strike a balance in their decision about electing representatives for the House between what?
(a) Between East coast and southern power.
(b) Between federal and state power.
(c) Between ideals and practical applications.
(d) Between American and foreign power.
5. What did Madison stress in his letter to George Washington?
(a) The need for high taxes to pay for federal army and government.
(b) The need for restraints on popular sentiment.
(c) The need for representation by state and region.
(d) The need for representation by population.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of government includes direct voting by the people?
2. What was the objection to democracy at the constitutional convention?
3. What did Alexander Hamilton propose in his speech?
4. Who proposed that government officers not receive salaries?
5. What power was missing from the Articles?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)