|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did delegates suggest would happen if state legislatures chose Representatives for the House?
(a) The people would revolt.
(b) The government would not be legitimate.
(c) State and federal powers would balance.
(d) The states would acquire too much power.
2. Where did Mr. Sherman say election should take place?
(a) Among sitting representatives.
(b) In the popular polls.
(c) In the Electoral College.
(d) In the state legislatures.
3. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
(a) The government would consist solely of landed gentry.
(b) Legislators would have to have wealthy patrons.
(c) Men who lusted for power and money would not run for office.
(d) Men who needed money would be liable to be influenced by special interests.
4. Why did Mr. Wilson prefer the New Jersey Plan?
(a) Because it provided for a standing army.
(b) Because it provided multiple legislative houses.
(c) Because it protected America from European influence.
(d) Because it centralized power in the executive.
5. What did Madison and Jefferson feel about Virginia?
(a) That the taxation rates were too low.
(b) That democracy restricted the leaders.
(c) That international trade would solve its budget problems.
(d) That the executive was too weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
2. What were the delegates debating in Chapter 3?
3. What power was missing from the Articles?
4. Where do delegates think that authority needs to originate in order to be legitimate?
5. What did James Madison support?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)