|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 25-28.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did James Madison support?
(a) A government of businesses.
(b) A system of checks and balances.
(c) A strong federal government.
(d) Strong state governments.
2. What did Madison argue for in his letter to George Washington?
(a) Independence of states to coin money.
(b) Independence of states to make laws.
(c) The supremacy of national laws over states' laws.
(d) Restraints against a supreme national legislature.
3. What would happen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
(a) Men who lusted for power and money would not run for office.
(b) Legislators would have to have wealthy patrons.
(c) Men who needed money would be liable to be influenced by special interests.
(d) The government would consist solely of landed gentry.
4. What kind of rulers did James Madison believe the country needed?
(a) Old world aristocrats.
(b) Innocent, smart individuals.
(c) Wise, virtuous individuals.
(d) Leaders with frontier experience.
5. What was the dominant fear about the executive?
(a) The power to impose taxes.
(b) The power to regulate trade.
(c) The power to appoint judges.
(d) The power to go to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would government service be seen if government officers did not receive salaries, in the opinion of the man who proposed this?
2. What did George Mason say he feared, in his argument on June 4?
3. What was eliminated from the Constitution draft?
4. What must the government use its power to protect the people from, in James Madison's opinion?
5. What power was missing from the Articles?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)