|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 25-28.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Virginia Plan propose to do to the Articles?
(a) Extend their authority for another ten years.
(b) Fix their flaws.
(c) Discard them.
(d) Ratify them in Virginia.
2. What did Mr. Mason support at the convention?
(a) Election by the people.
(b) Election of Senators by Senators.
(c) Appointment by the President.
(d) Election by state legislatures.
3. Which bodies were the delegates considering as electors of Representatives in the House?
(a) The people or state legislatures.
(b) Special committees or state legislatures.
(c) State legislatures or the national senate.
(d) Property owners or free men.
4. What were supporters of the residency requirement for citizenship afraid of?
(a) They were afraid that the national interest would be subverted by foreigners.
(b) They were afraid that the states would be able to suppress immigrant votes.
(c) They were afraid that uneducated people would vote in large numbers.
(d) They were afraid that immigrants would send too much money back to their homelands.
5. Why did delegates argue that Senators should be elected in state legislatures?
(a) The states would therefore have an interest in preserving the federal government.
(b) The government would be composed of professional politicians.
(c) The House of Representatives would be counter-balanced.
(d) The state legislatures would thereby gain power against the federal government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the delegates' intentions when they argued for election of Senators from state legislatures?
2. What did Dr. Johnson advocate during the debate over federal power?
3. How many branches of government did Mr. Madison propose be elected?
4. What thoughts did Mr. Madison express on the topic of elections during debate at the convention?
5. Who proposed that government officers not receive salaries?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)