|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 404 BC, these defense tools are demolished in a peace agreement.
2. Although no pictures of these have been found, we know these existed in fifth century Athens.
3. This is the political and legal center of the city of Athens.
4. This covered building is erected for the Panathenaic Games when Pericles decides to include musical events.
5. Wealthy sons of Athenians are tutored by these, beginning around age seven.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tribal contests of the fifth day of the Panathenaic festival.
2. Explain the Long Walls.
3. Explain the marriage process, including the betrothal and the procession.
4. Describe semi-detached houses as well as hill houses. Include details from the book.
5. Describe the main procession for the trip to the Acropolis for the theater.
6. Describe the various rooms located within Athenian households, using the book as your guide.
7. Explain the rumor behind the tent of Xerxes.
8. Explain the system of law and order in Athens.
9. Describe the ritual of childbirth, and what options are available to those who gave birth to unwanted children.
10. Describe the Dark Age of Greece.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three types of gladiators are mentioned in the book, along with basic information about the gladiators themselves. Discuss these three gladiator types, and include information about how they are recruited, their armor, and their training. Additionally, include information about the gladiator fights, making sure to discuss how the fights generally end.
Essay Topic 2
The final chapter of the book outlines the events after 138 AD, continuing through the essential fall of Rome. Summarize the entries in this section, discussing the various emperors listed, how they behaved, and and contributions to Rome they made that were lasting. Be sure to discuss what led to the fall of Rome as a stronghold in the Western Empire. Also, discuss the transition from Athens to capital of the Greek state.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail the spiritual life of the Roman. Include information about the Imperial cult, the priests and priestesses, sacrifices to the gods, the cult of Vesta, the Vestal Virgins and their role in Rome, and the House of the Vestal Virgin. Also explain the foreign cults that are a large part of ancient Rome.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)