|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although no pictures of these have been found, we know these existed in fifth century Athens.
2. The women of Athens are primarily expected to do this.
3. The meat of a sacrificed animal is ____________.
4. Early Athenian tragedies are based on these.
5. A great statue of this goddess stands inside the west end of the central isle of the Parthenon.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the various rooms located within Athenian households, using the book as your guide.
2. Explain the Long Walls.
3. Explain the wall decorations in the house at Olynthus, and the five schemes those wall decorations represent.
4. Explain Propylaea in detail, including materials used to make it.
5. Explain the ideological conflict between Sparta and Athens that results in the clash that leads to war.
6. Describe the main procession for the trip to the Acropolis for the theater.
7. Explain the marriage process, including the betrothal and the procession.
8. Describe the tribal contests of the fifth day of the Panathenaic festival.
9. Describe the statues of the exterior of the Parthenon.
10. Describe the poetry and music events of the Panathenaic feast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the daily life of an Athenian woman with the daily life of a Roman woman. What are similarities? What are differences? What does this say about the opinion of women in each of these societies? How does their view of education underline this concept of women?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, in detail, a day at the races for the Romans. Include information on the Circus, its location and design, the structure of the stands, and the starting gates. Also be sure to include information on the horses, chariots, and drivers, as well as the race its self. Combine this with other information about foods and drinks, clothes, and other concepts, and provide a complete picture of a day at the races.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss your opinion of the book. Do you think it was well written? Why or why not? Was it entertaining and easy to follow, or did you have difficulty? Why? What parts did you find most entertaining or worth reading? What areas were you bored with, or found unnecessary. How could the book have been improved? Did the illustrations help explain the concepts, or did they hurt the flow of the book?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)