|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These objects are sparse, and generally made of wood.
2. What do many Athenians do to unwanted children?
3. This person, the designer of the building, puts together a team of sculptors to create the sculptures outside the Parthenon.
4. These are used to channel water to the city of Athens.
5. Although no pictures of these have been found, we know these existed in fifth century Athens.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe semi-detached houses as well as hill houses. Include details from the book.
2. Explain the wall decorations in the house at Olynthus, and the five schemes those wall decorations represent.
3. Compare and contrast the upbringing of young boys and girls in Athens.
4. Describe the ritual of childbirth, and what options are available to those who gave birth to unwanted children.
5. Explain the ideological conflict between Sparta and Athens that results in the clash that leads to war.
6. Describe the political structure of fifth century Athens, and include the Agora and stoas.
7. Who are the Greek pantheon, and what are their roles.
8. Describe the tribal contests of the fifth day of the Panathenaic festival.
9. Explain the great procession to the Acropolis.
10. Describe the statues of the exterior of the Parthenon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Athenian democracy with modern democracy. How is ancient Athens a democracy? How does it differ from modern democracy? What is the government of Athens like? How is the court system run? How are juries selected? What are common punishments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various types of workers within the Athenian society. What type of work do they do? Why is this useful to society? Are there slaves, and how are they treated? How does this compare the same issues within Roman society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the community of Athens with the community of Rome as a whole. Include at least three comparison points, such as work, spiritual life, and government, or any other combination, and compare each aspect. Pay particular attention to detail, explaining why you believe differences exist between these two cultures.
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)