|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These houses are cut into the hillside.
2. To protect its food supply, Athens decides they require a strong navy, the architect of which is this person.
3. This person is the first to do a dramatic reading, thereby beginning the Greek drama.
4. Wealthy sons of Athenians are tutored by these, beginning around age seven.
5. This is built following the Persian retreat from Athens, and is a place where meetings can occur, philosophers can expound, and business can take place.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the marriage process, including the betrothal and the procession.
2. Who are the Greek pantheon, and what are their roles.
3. Describe the various rooms located within Athenian households, using the book as your guide.
4. Describe the poetry and music events of the Panathenaic feast.
5. Describe the tribal contests of the fifth day of the Panathenaic festival.
6. Explain Propylaea in detail, including materials used to make it.
7. Explain the Long Walls.
8. Describe the political structure of fifth century Athens, and include the Agora and stoas.
9. Explain the change to comedy in the fourth century.
10. Describe the Dark Age of Greece.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the spiritual life of the Roman. Include information about the Imperial cult, the priests and priestesses, sacrifices to the gods, the cult of Vesta, the Vestal Virgins and their role in Rome, and the House of the Vestal Virgin. Also explain the foreign cults that are a large part of ancient Rome.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the possible life of an Athenian female, from birth to death. Include her education, growing up, marriage, fashion, work life, political life, spiritual life, leisure time, death, and funeral. Incorporate as many details from the book as possible, including such details as the type of housing she lives in, what she is, and is not, allowed to do, and what might have happened to her at birth, had her parents elected not to keep her.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various types of workers within the Athenian society. What type of work do they do? Why is this useful to society? Are there slaves, and how are they treated? How does this compare the same issues within Roman society?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)