|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only crime in Athens for which a woman can divorce her husband?
(c) Continued abuse.
2. These objects are sparse, and generally made of wood.
(d) Window frames.
3. Who is considered to this day to be the father of medicine, from Athens?
4. In 487 BC, laws are passed that dictate candidates for archonship must be chosen in this manner, instead of being elected.
(a) By lot.
(b) By chance.
(c) By an election of kings.
(d) By assembly.
5. It is estimated that the total Athenian military strength is around this many soldiers.
(d) Half a million.
6. Wealthy sons of Athenians are tutored by these, beginning around age seven.
7. A great statue of this goddess stands inside the west end of the central isle of the Parthenon.
8. These allow state payments to be made for performance of civic duty, thereby allowing the poor to participate in politics.
(a) The Boule and tributes.
(b) Tributes and levies.
(d) The Boule and levies.
9. Early Athenian tragedies are based on these.
(a) Well known legends.
(b) Children's literature.
(c) Bible stories.
(d) Personal stories.
10. This is the political and legal center of the city of Athens.
(a) The Acropolis.
(b) The Agora.
(c) The Long Walls.
(d) The Oracle.
11. What do many Athenians do to unwanted children?
(a) Give them up for adoption.
(b) Murder them.
(c) Abort them.
(d) Expose them to the elements to die.
12. The meat of a sacrificed animal is ____________.
(a) Eaten following the ceremony.
(b) Buried following the ceremony.
(c) Thrown away following the ceremony.
(d) Fed to animals following the ceremony.
13. Much of the Greek clothing is made from this.
(a) Animal hair.
14. The Patron God of Athens is _________.
15. Over half the population of Attica are this.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ is credited with building the first stage.
2. Marriage in Athens is _______.
3. Juries in Athens for criminal trials have a range of members that include this many people.
4. This is the king of the Gods.
5. At Olympia, women who watch the games are ___________________.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)