|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Olympia, women who watch the games are ___________________.
(a) Used as slaves.
(b) Considered lower class.
(c) Punished by death.
2. These types of Athenian houses are often built in connection to other houses.
(a) Semi-detached houses.
(b) Workshop houses.
(c) Hill houses.
(d) Block houses.
3. This is the king of the Gods.
4. How many members are there in the boule?
5. Early Athenian tragedies are based on these.
(a) Well known legends.
(b) Personal stories.
(c) Children's literature.
(d) Bible stories.
6. Authors suggest there is a link between the theater and this.
(c) Xerxes tent.
(d) The Olympic games.
7. This is the common form of Athenian currency.
8. These allow state payments to be made for performance of civic duty, thereby allowing the poor to participate in politics.
(a) The Boule and tributes.
(b) The Boule and levies.
(d) Tributes and levies.
9. At the age of eighteen, Athenian boys must attend this.
(a) Etiquette lessons.
(b) Civil assemblies.
(c) Charm school.
(d) Military training.
10. Wealthy sons of Athenians are tutored by these, beginning around age seven.
11. This is the market place and political center of Athens in the fifth century.
12. Sophocles and Euripides are considered the best of these.
(a) Greek musicians.
(b) Greek comedians.
(c) Greek playwrights.
(d) Greek performers.
13. The first king of Athens is ________, who establishes worship of the Greek gods.
14. Hades is the god of this.
(a) The Underworld.
(c) The Sea.
15. The meat of a sacrificed animal is ____________.
(a) Thrown away following the ceremony.
(b) Fed to animals following the ceremony.
(c) Eaten following the ceremony.
(d) Buried following the ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. These rooms are so small, they are difficult to distinguish among the ruins of Athenian ruins.
2. The oligarchic government of thirty pro-Spartan aristocrats who rule the Athenians following the war with Sparta is called this.
3. The city is accessed through many of these built into the city walls.
4. In around 950 BC, Athens moves from a monarchy to this form of government.
5. This many main Gods are worshiped in Athens.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)