|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is the amount sculptors are paid per sculpture for working on the sculptures from the Erechtheum.
(a) 6000 drachmae.
(b) 100 drachmae.
(c) 60 drachmae.
(d) 1000 drachmae.
2. This house displays an early example of the Masonry style, with plaster molded into rectangles in different colors.
(a) The House of Many Colors.
(b) The House of Many Designs.
(c) The House of Many Shapes.
(d) The House of Rainbows.
3. Ancient walls around the city are believed to have been built in ____.
(a) Both 5th and 6th century BC.
(b) 5th century BC.
(c) 8th century AD.
(d) 6th century BC.
4. These events have a high risk of injury or death.
(a) Chariot races.
(b) Track events.
5. The Panathenaic Games are only for these people.
(d) All Greeks.
6. This is a process used in ancient Athens whereby if a certain number of individuals believe a person to be a threat to democracy, he or she can be banished from the city for ten years.
7. Wealthy sons of Athenians are tutored by these, beginning around age seven.
8. This is where the boule meets.
(d) The Acropolis.
9. Although no pictures of these have been found, we know these existed in fifth century Athens.
10. This is the common form of Athenian currency.
11. To protect its food supply, Athens decides they require a strong navy, the architect of which is this person.
12. This is the best known storehouse for the equipment of the large Athenian navy.
(a) Arsenal of Philon.
(b) Arsenal of Delphi.
(c) Arsenal of Phaleron.
(d) Arsenal of Athens.
13. At the age of eighteen, Athenian boys must attend this.
(a) Civil assemblies.
(b) Military training.
(c) Charm school.
(d) Etiquette lessons.
14. Sophocles and Euripides are considered the best of these.
(a) Greek musicians.
(b) Greek comedians.
(c) Greek performers.
(d) Greek playwrights.
15. To stave off future attacks, the Athenians build this to help protect their city.
(a) A cannon.
(b) A large gunship.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who serve as police officers, in a sense, in Athens?
2. This person is the first to do a dramatic reading, thereby beginning the Greek drama.
3. These objects are sparse, and generally made of wood.
4. Most houses have lavatories, consisting of these.
5. What is the only crime in Athens for which a woman can divorce her husband?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)