|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To stave off future attacks, the Athenians build this to help protect their city.
(a) A cannon.
(b) A wall.
(c) A large gunship.
(d) A bridge.
2. The most famous Athenian trial is that of this person.
3. This is a tradition for men where all would become so drunk they would need to be carried home by slaves.
(a) The Drinking Room.
(b) The Sinphon.
(c) The Symposion.
(d) The Cyphon.
4. This person is the first to do a dramatic reading, thereby beginning the Greek drama.
5. Early Athenian tragedies are based on these.
(a) Personal stories.
(b) Children's literature.
(c) Bible stories.
(d) Well known legends.
6. These objects are sparse, and generally made of wood.
(d) Window frames.
7. In 487 BC, laws are passed that dictate candidates for archonship must be chosen in this manner, instead of being elected.
(a) By lot.
(b) By an election of kings.
(c) By chance.
(d) By assembly.
8. Authors suggest there is a link between the theater and this.
(b) The Olympic games.
(d) Xerxes tent.
9. The oligarchic government of thirty pro-Spartan aristocrats who rule the Athenians following the war with Sparta is called this.
(a) The Thirty Rulers.
(b) The Thirty Tyrants.
(c) The Thirty Devils.
(d) The Thirty Angels.
10. The only trilogy to survive from ancient Athens is this.
11. The Panathenaic Games are only for these people.
(a) All Greeks.
12. In 404 BC, these defense tools are demolished in a peace agreement.
(a) Long Walls.
13. This person, the designer of the building, puts together a team of sculptors to create the sculptures outside the Parthenon.
14. This is found on the walls of many houses during the excavations at Olynthus in the 1930s.
(a) Painted canvas.
(b) Painted plaster.
(d) Painted vases.
15. Marriage in Athens is _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. In around 950 BC, Athens moves from a monarchy to this form of government.
2. It is estimated that the total Athenian military strength is around this many soldiers.
3. The final day of the festival is devoted to this.
4. Hades is the god of this.
5. At the age of eighteen, Athenian boys must attend this.
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)