|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fatima trust in?
2. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
3. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
4. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
5. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
2. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
3. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
4. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
5. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
6. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
7. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
8. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
9. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
10. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)