|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does an alchemist need to heat the metal to purify it?
2. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
3. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
4. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
5. What reward will Santiago receive if the tribal chief's prediction is correct?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
2. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
3. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
4. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
5. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
6. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
7. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
8. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
9. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
10. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)