|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
2. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
3. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
4. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
5. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
2. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
3. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
4. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
5. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
6. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
7. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
8. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
9. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
10. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one aspect of symbolism from the text and explain it in detail. Include details such as: what is the symbol, what is it a symbol for, why is the symbolism important to the story, etc... Include specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)