|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
2. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
3. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
4. According to the Alchemist, what does the Soul of the World speak through?
5. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
Essay Topic 3
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)