|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
2. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
3. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
4. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
5. What do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 demand to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
2. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
3. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
4. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
5. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
6. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
7. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
8. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
9. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
10. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 3
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)