|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist do to Santiago one they are in the chosen location the day after Santiago's trade in Part 5?
2. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
3. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
4. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
5. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
2. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
3. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
4. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
5. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
6. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
7. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
8. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
9. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
10. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Santiago's father's prediction that Santiago would find his true treasure at home was true? Explain your answer in detail with many supporting details.
Essay Topic 2
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
Essay Topic 3
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)