|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
2. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
3. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
4. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
5. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
2. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
3. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
4. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
5. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
6. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
7. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
8. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
9. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
10. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 3
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)