|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
2. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
3. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
4. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
5. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
2. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
3. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
4. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
5. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
6. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
7. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
8. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
9. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
10. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one aspect of symbolism from the text and explain it in detail. Include details such as: what is the symbol, what is it a symbol for, why is the symbolism important to the story, etc... Include specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)