|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
2. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
3. How many things does the Alchemist say in Part 6 that Santiago needs to learn?
4. The Alchemist tells Santiago in Part 5 to prepare in what way?
5. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
2. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
3. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
4. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
5. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
6. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
7. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
8. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
9. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
10. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)