|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
2. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
3. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
4. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
5. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
2. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
3. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
4. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
5. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
6. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
7. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
8. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
9. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
10. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)