|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
2. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
3. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
4. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
5. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
2. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
3. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
4. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
5. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
6. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
7. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
8. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
9. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
10. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)