|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, who tells Santiago a story about a tribe's traditions?
2. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
3. What does Fatima trust in?
4. What two things do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 find in the alchemist's bag?
5. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
2. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
3. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
4. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
5. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
6. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
7. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
8. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
9. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
10. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
Essay Topic 2
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)