|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago declare before he leaves with the Alchemist in Part 5?
2. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
3. What happens to Santiago and the Alchemist when they are one day away from the pyramids?
4. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
5. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
2. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
3. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
4. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
5. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
6. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
7. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
8. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
9. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
10. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Santiago continues refining his skills. Explain how, throughout your life, you have continued to refine specific skills. Be sure to include examples of the events or activities you had to do to refine your skills and make connections to how Santiago had to refine his skills.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)