|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
2. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
3. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
4. What reward will Santiago receive if the tribal chief's prediction is correct?
5. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
2. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
3. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
4. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
5. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
6. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
7. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
8. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
9. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
10. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)