|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
2. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
3. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
4. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
5. What does the Alchemist say quests always begin with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
2. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
3. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
4. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
5. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
6. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
7. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
8. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
9. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
10. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 2
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)