|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does tribal tradition say about the oasis?
2. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
3. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
4. What does Fatima trust in?
5. What final decision does Santiago make about the Alchemist's proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
2. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
3. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
4. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
5. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
6. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
7. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
8. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
9. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
10. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 3
Was Santiago's father's prediction that Santiago would find his true treasure at home was true? Explain your answer in detail with many supporting details.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)