|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
2. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
3. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
4. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
5. Where does the Alchemist take Santiago the day after he makes his trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
2. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
3. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
4. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
5. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
6. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
7. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
8. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
9. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
10. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)