|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
2. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
3. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
4. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
5. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
2. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
3. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
4. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
5. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
6. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
7. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
8. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
9. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
10. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, Santiago continues refining his skills. Explain how, throughout your life, you have continued to refine specific skills. Be sure to include examples of the events or activities you had to do to refine your skills and make connections to how Santiago had to refine his skills.
Essay Topic 2
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
Essay Topic 3
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)