|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
2. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
3. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
4. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
5. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
2. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
3. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
4. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
5. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
6. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
7. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
8. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
9. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
10. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
Essay Topic 2
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)