|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
2. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
3. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
4. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
5. What do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 demand to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
2. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
3. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
4. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
5. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
6. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
7. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
8. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
9. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
10. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you have finished the novel, complete an in-depth analysis of foreshadowing within this novel. Be sure to include what events were foreshadowed and how they were foreshadowed. Use very specific examples form the text to support your ideas and opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)