|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
2. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
3. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
4. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
5. Where is the caravan Santiago is a part of heading toward in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
2. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
3. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
4. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
5. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
6. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
7. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
8. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
9. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
10. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 3
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)