|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fatima trust in?
2. What does the tribal chief tell Santiago to always listen to?
3. What power does the Alchemist say Santiago possesses?
4. What does Santiago's heart tell him as he and the Alchemist pass the encampment in Part 6?
5. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
2. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
3. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
4. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
5. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
6. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
7. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
8. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
9. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
10. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Santiago continues refining his skills. Explain how, throughout your life, you have continued to refine specific skills. Be sure to include examples of the events or activities you had to do to refine your skills and make connections to how Santiago had to refine his skills.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have finished the novel, complete an in-depth analysis of foreshadowing within this novel. Be sure to include what events were foreshadowed and how they were foreshadowed. Use very specific examples form the text to support your ideas and opinions.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)