|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
2. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
3. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
4. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
5. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
2. What does Santiago conclude after he awakes from his silent meditation in Part 7?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
5. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
6. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
7. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
8. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
9. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
10. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
Essay Topic 1
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
Essay Topic 2
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)