|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
2. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
3. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
4. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
5. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
2. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
3. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
4. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
5. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
6. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
7. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
8. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
9. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
10. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one aspect of symbolism from the text and explain it in detail. Include details such as: what is the symbol, what is it a symbol for, why is the symbolism important to the story, etc... Include specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Santiago continues refining his skills. Explain how, throughout your life, you have continued to refine specific skills. Be sure to include examples of the events or activities you had to do to refine your skills and make connections to how Santiago had to refine his skills.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)