Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
2. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
3. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
4. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
5. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
2. What does Santiago conclude after he awakes from his silent meditation in Part 7?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
5. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
6. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
7. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
8. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
9. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
10. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, Santiago continues refining his skills. Explain how, throughout your life, you have continued to refine specific skills. Be sure to include examples of the events or activities you had to do to refine your skills and make connections to how Santiago had to refine his skills.
Essay Topic 2
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)