|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
2. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
3. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
4. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
5. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
2. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
3. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
4. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
5. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
6. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
7. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
8. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
10. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)