|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
2. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
3. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
4. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
5. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
2. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
5. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
6. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
7. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
8. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
9. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
10. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)