|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
2. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
3. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
4. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
5. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
2. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
3. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
4. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
5. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
6. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
7. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
8. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
9. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
10. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 2
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what destiny means to you. Include ideas about whether or not you believe it is predetermined or can change and why you feel that way.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)