|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
2. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
3. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
4. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
5. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
2. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
3. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
5. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
6. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
7. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
8. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
9. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
10. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)