|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
2. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
3. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
4. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
5. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
2. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
3. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
4. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
5. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
6. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
7. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
8. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
9. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
10. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Now that you have finished the novel, complete an in-depth analysis of foreshadowing within this novel. Be sure to include what events were foreshadowed and how they were foreshadowed. Use very specific examples form the text to support your ideas and opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)