|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
2. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
3. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
4. What does Santiago do with the three ancient Spanish gold coins?
5. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
2. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
3. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
4. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
5. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
6. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
7. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
8. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
9. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
10. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)