|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
2. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
3. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
4. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
5. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
2. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
3. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
4. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
5. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
6. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
7. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
8. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
9. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
10. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Santiago's father's prediction that Santiago would find his true treasure at home was true? Explain your answer in detail with many supporting details.
Essay Topic 2
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)