|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
2. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
3. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
4. What does Santiago do with the three ancient Spanish gold coins?
5. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
2. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
3. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
4. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
5. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
6. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
7. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
8. Why does the Alchemist leave the fourth quarter of the gold disk with the monk?
9. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
10. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 2
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
Essay Topic 3
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)