|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
2. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
3. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
4. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
5. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
2. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
3. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
4. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
5. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
6. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
7. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
8. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
9. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
10. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, the forces of nature figure prominently. Describe, in detail, how the forces of nature are critical components to the story. Be sure to use supporting details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 3
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)