|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
2. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
3. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
4. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
5. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
2. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
3. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
4. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
5. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
6. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
7. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
8. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
9. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
10. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)