|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
2. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
3. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
4. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
5. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
2. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
5. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
6. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
7. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
8. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
9. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
10. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Language is a critical theme in this novel. Describe how students who are exchange students or English as a Second Language learners might face difficulties in this class while reading this novel. Provide details and examples to receive full credit.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)