|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
2. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
3. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
4. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
5. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
2. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
5. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
6. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
7. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
8. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
9. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
10. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what destiny means to you. Include ideas about whether or not you believe it is predetermined or can change and why you feel that way.
Essay Topic 3
The Alchemist has told Santiago throughout the book that everything is learned by action. Explain in detail what this means, using supporting details from the text. Then describe a time in your life when you learned by action and how it is similar to Santiago.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)