|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
2. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
3. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
4. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
5. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
2. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
3. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
4. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
5. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
6. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
7. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
8. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
9. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
10. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)