|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
2. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
3. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
4. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
5. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
Short Essay Questions
1. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
2. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
3. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
4. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
6. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
7. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
8. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
9. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
10. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of evolution and conflict in this story. Use examples from the story to support your discussion. Then make a personal connection to the discussion in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of Santiago from the beginning of this story to the end. Use information and examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have finished the novel, complete an in-depth analysis of foreshadowing within this novel. Be sure to include what events were foreshadowed and how they were foreshadowed. Use very specific examples form the text to support your ideas and opinions.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)