|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Santiago not have left after his interaction with the boy in Part 2?
2. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
3. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
4. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
5. Who is the main character of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
2. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
3. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
4. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
5. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
6. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
7. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
8. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
9. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
10. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 2
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
As Santiago embarked on his trip with the caravan, the leader told him that disobedience often means death in the desert. Explain what he means by this statement. Provide examples to support your hypothesis; they do not need to be from the text, but certainly can be from it.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)