|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
2. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
3. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
4. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
5. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
2. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
3. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
4. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
5. Why does the Alchemist leave the fourth quarter of the gold disk with the monk?
6. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
7. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
8. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
9. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
10. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
Essay Topic 1
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of literacy within this novel. Do not report on being unable to read the novel if one is illiterate. Instead, focus on how literacy brings power within the novel. Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)