|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
2. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
3. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
4. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
5. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
2. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
3. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
4. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
5. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
6. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
7. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
8. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
9. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
10. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you have finished the novel, complete an in-depth analysis of foreshadowing within this novel. Be sure to include what events were foreshadowed and how they were foreshadowed. Use very specific examples form the text to support your ideas and opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one aspect of symbolism from the text and explain it in detail. Include details such as: what is the symbol, what is it a symbol for, why is the symbolism important to the story, etc... Include specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)