|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Santiago not have left after his interaction with the boy in Part 2?
2. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
3. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
4. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
5. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
2. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
3. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
4. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
5. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
6. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
8. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
9. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
10. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were Santiago, what steps would you have taken differently and why? If you believe you would have followed the exact path of Santiago, describe in detail why you would make those same choices faced with the same struggles.
Essay Topic 2
Santiago describes his love for Fatima as true love. Write about what you believe to be the characteristics of true love and use examples from the text to support or defy Fatima and Santiago's love as true love.
Essay Topic 3
The book has a subtitle, A Fable about Following Your Dreams. Do you believe this is an appropriate subtitle? Support your answer with your own personal opinion and details from the text.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)