|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
2. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
3. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
4. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
5. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
2. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
3. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
4. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
5. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
6. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
7. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
8. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
9. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
10. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one aspect of symbolism from the text and explain it in detail. Include details such as: what is the symbol, what is it a symbol for, why is the symbolism important to the story, etc... Include specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis essay on why certain characters disappear throughout the story. Explain how, even though the characters disappear, they still are reflected in the story until the very end of the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Decide which event in this novel was the most critical in your opinion. Support your judgment with specific details from the text.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)