|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
2. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
3. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
4. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
5. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
2. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
3. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
4. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
5. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
6. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
7. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
8. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
9. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
10. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the various themes in this novel and how they relate to each other. Use supporting details from the text throughout your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing in detail how the concept of full circle applies to this novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the most ironic event of this novel? Use specific events from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)