|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago declare before he leaves with the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) His love for Fatima.
(b) His desire to go to Mecca.
(c) His fear of the alchemist.
(d) His longing to go home.
2. What position within the tribe is Santiago awarded after the attack in Part 5?
(a) Oasis guard.
(b) Oasis counselor.
(c) Oasis alchemist.
(d) Oasis tribal leader.
3. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
(a) A war of tribal improprieties.
(b) A war between good and evil.
(c) A battle for the balance of power.
(d) A short war.
4. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To get their as fast as they can.
(b) To avoid battles.
(c) To study the omens of the desert.
(d) To visit all of the oases.
5. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
(b) The Camel driver, Santiago's friend.
(c) The Englishman.
(d) The Alchemist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
2. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
3. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
4. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
5. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
2. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
3. What does the Alchemist do with all of Santiago's money in Part 6?
4. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
5. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
6. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
7. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
8. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
9. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
10. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)