|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position within the tribe is Santiago awarded after the attack in Part 5?
(a) Oasis alchemist.
(b) Oasis counselor.
(c) Oasis guard.
(d) Oasis tribal leader.
2. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(a) His ability to read the desert omens.
(b) His camel.
(c) His new position within the tribe.
3. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
(c) Run away.
(d) Get scared.
4. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
5. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
(a) Suffering and losing what it has won.
(b) Never finding love.
(c) Never being successful.
(d) Fulfilling his destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
2. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
3. What does the Alchemist say gold truly represents?
4. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
5. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
2. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
3. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
4. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
5. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
6. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
7. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
8. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
9. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
10. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)