|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
(a) To make the Elixir of Life.
(b) To keep his tent warm.
(c) To create the Master Work.
(d) To begin turning lead into gold.
2. In Part 6, what does Santiago's heart tell him?
(a) To trust the alchemist.
(b) To return to Fatima.
(c) To find his treasure.
(d) To fulfill his destiny.
3. What does Santiago declare before he leaves with the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) His longing to go home.
(b) His love for Fatima.
(c) His fear of the alchemist.
(d) His desire to go to Mecca.
4. What does the Alchemist say quests always begin with?
(a) Fulfillment of their destinies.
(b) Heart trials.
(d) Major tests.
5. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
(a) To create the Soul of the World.
(b) To purify metal.
(c) To point people toward their destiny.
(d) To create the Elixir of Life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
2. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
3. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
4. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
5. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
2. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
3. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
4. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
5. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
6. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
7. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
8. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
9. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
10. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)