|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the caravan Santiago is a part of heading toward in Part 4?
(a) The Soul of the World.
(b) The oasis.
(c) A merchant shop.
(d) Back to Spain.
2. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Love of another.
(c) New knowledge.
(d) Their souls.
3. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
(a) The alchemist owns it.
(b) It is a safe refuge from the war.
(c) It is an illusion.
(d) The people of the oasis pick a specific side in the war.
4. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
(b) Master Work.
(c) Elixir of Life.
(d) Soul of the World.
5. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To listen to it.
(b) To work through the suffering.
(c) To test it.
(d) To ingnore it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
2. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
3. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
4. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
5. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
2. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
3. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
4. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
5. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
6. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
7. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
8. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
9. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
10. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)