|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
(a) Hatred and revenge.
(b) Godliness and peace.
(c) Happiness and joy.
(d) Enthusiasm and energy.
2. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) You already know how to do it.
(b) Try doing it.
(c) I will not teach you.
(d) You are not worthy.
3. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
(a) They will learn to turn lead into gold.
(b) They will never reach their own.
(c) They will abandon their destiny.
(d) They will help others to reach their destiny.
4. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
(a) Fear of the suffering.
(b) Living an unfulfilled destiny.
(c) What will come.
(d) His destiny.
5. What surprises Santiago about do the individuals who approach him and the Alchemist in Part 6 ?
(a) They steal the Elixir of Life.
(b) They do not take the Alchemist seriously.
(c) They steal the Philosopher's stone.
(d) They provide no danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many things does the Alchemist say in Part 6 that Santiago needs to learn?
2. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
3. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
4. What does the Englishman build outside of his tent?
5. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Santiago and the Alchemist discuss at the beginning of their journey in Part 6?
2. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
3. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
4. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
5. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
6. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
7. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
8. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
9. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
10. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)