|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To get their as fast as they can.
(b) To visit all of the oases.
(c) To study the omens of the desert.
(d) To avoid battles.
2. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To defend the oasis.
(b) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(c) To leave with him.
(d) To race him on horseback.
3. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
(a) Their souls.
(b) Love of another.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) New knowledge.
4. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
(a) He is infatuated.
(b) He is intimidated by her.
(c) He does not like her.
(d) He is in love at first sight.
5. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 6 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
2. What two things do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 find in the alchemist's bag?
3. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
4. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
5. What position within the tribe is Santiago awarded after the attack in Part 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are all oases considered neutral ground during battles?
2. What is the vision which Santiago has at the end of Part 4?
3. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
4. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
5. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
6. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
7. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
8. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
9. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
10. What does the tribal chief assure Santiago that the tribe always does?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)