|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Alchemist, what does the Soul of the World speak through?
(a) The omens of the desert.
(b) The Philosopher's Stone.
(c) The heart.
(d) The Elixir of Life.
2. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(b) Joy and happiness.
(c) Love and excitement.
(d) Fear and doubt.
3. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To listen to it.
(b) To test it.
(c) To work through the suffering.
(d) To ingnore it.
4. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
(a) Being a camel rider.
(b) Being a merchant.
(c) Being a counselor.
(d) Being a herder.
5. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
(a) What will come.
(b) Fear of the suffering.
(c) His destiny.
(d) Living an unfulfilled destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
2. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
3. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
4. What do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 demand to know?
5. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
2. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
3. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
4. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
5. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
6. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
7. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
8. What brave step does Santiago take at the beginning of Part 5?
9. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
10. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)