|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
(a) Learns to turn lead into gold.
(b) Creates the Elixir of Life.
(c) Reads the Englishman's books.
(d) Learns Arabic.
2. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Love of another.
(c) Their souls.
(d) New knowledge.
3. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) Neither side.
(b) The evil side.
(c) Both sides.
(d) The good side.
4. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
(a) To create the Soul of the World.
(b) To point people toward their destiny.
(c) To purify metal.
(d) To create the Elixir of Life.
5. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Fear and doubt.
(b) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(c) Love and excitement.
(d) Joy and happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
2. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
3. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
4. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
5. How long does an alchemist need to heat the metal to purify it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
2. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
3. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
4. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
5. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
6. How does Santiago propose one should learn about the universal language?
7. In Part 6, what does Santiago promise his heart?
8. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
9. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
10. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)