|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say quests always begin with?
(a) Major tests.
(b) Heart trials.
(d) Fulfillment of their destinies.
2. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
(b) Get scared.
(d) Run away.
3. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) You already know how to do it.
(b) You are not worthy.
(c) I will not teach you.
(d) Try doing it.
4. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
(b) Date palms.
5. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
(a) Hatred and revenge.
(b) Enthusiasm and energy.
(c) Happiness and joy.
(d) Godliness and peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
2. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
3. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
4. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
5. The Soul of the World is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, why does Santiago resist the idea of continuing his journey to the pyramids?
2. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
3. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
4. Santiago realizes that both he and the Englishman are seeking their destinies. How does their process differ?
5. What does Santiago learn to accept as he is crossing the desert in Part 6?
6. What does Santiago tell his heart in Part 6?
7. What is courage the essential ingredient in, according to the Alchemist?
8. What is the only way to stay happy according to the camel driver, who is a friend to Santiago?
9. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
10. Why does the tribal chief order the members to carry weapons?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)