|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
(a) Never being successful.
(b) Fulfilling his destiny.
(c) Never finding love.
(d) Suffering and losing what it has won.
2. What is the goal of alchemists, according to the Englishman?
(a) To create the Soul of the World.
(b) To purify metal.
(c) To point people toward their destiny.
(d) To create the Elixir of Life.
3. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) There are many jewels.
(b) They are home to women and children.
(c) They hold no weapons.
(d) They are home to the alchemist.
4. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
5. What does Santiago declare before he leaves with the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) His desire to go to Mecca.
(b) His longing to go home.
(c) His fear of the alchemist.
(d) His love for Fatima.
6. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) Both sides.
(b) The good side.
(c) Neither side.
(d) The evil side.
7. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) Try doing it.
(b) You already know how to do it.
(c) I will not teach you.
(d) You are not worthy.
8. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
(a) Language of the desert.
9. What do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 demand to know?
(a) Why the alchemist has the Elixir of Life.
(b) Why Santiago has money.
(c) Why the alchemist has the Philosopher's Stone.
(d) What tribe they belong to.
10. In Part 5, who tells Santiago a story about a tribe's traditions?
(b) Tribal Chief.
11. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
(a) Chief of a new tribe.
(c) Three armed tribesmen.
(d) Four tribesmen.
12. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
(a) The crystal merchant.
(b) Santiago's father.
(c) The beautiful girl.
(d) The Alchemist.
13. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To avoid battles.
(b) To get their as fast as they can.
(c) To study the omens of the desert.
(d) To visit all of the oases.
14. In Part 6, what does Santiago's heart tell him?
(a) To fulfill his destiny.
(b) To find his treasure.
(c) To trust the alchemist.
(d) To return to Fatima.
15. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
(b) Philosopher's stones.
(c) A revolver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
2. What does Santiago's heart tell him as he and the Alchemist pass the encampment in Part 6?
3. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
4. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
5. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)