|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
(a) The Alchemist.
(b) The Englishman.
(d) The Camel driver, Santiago's friend.
2. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) They hold no weapons.
(b) They are home to the alchemist.
(c) There are many jewels.
(d) They are home to women and children.
3. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 weeks.
4. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
(a) Reads the Englishman's books.
(b) Creates the Elixir of Life.
(c) Learns Arabic.
(d) Learns to turn lead into gold.
5. Where does the Alchemist take Santiago the day after he makes his trade?
(a) To the tribal chief.
(b) To see Fatima.
(c) To the pyramids.
(d) Into the desert.
6. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
(a) Where to find the alchemist.
(b) That he should be afraid of the war.
(c) That she loves him.
(d) To stay away from the Englishmen.
7. Where is the caravan Santiago is a part of heading toward in Part 4?
(a) The Soul of the World.
(b) Back to Spain.
(c) The oasis.
(d) A merchant shop.
8. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
(b) Date palms.
9. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(b) His new position within the tribe.
(c) His camel.
(d) His ability to read the desert omens.
10. What final decision does Santiago make about the Alchemist's proposal?
(a) He decides to go with him.
(b) He decides to stay with Fatima.
(c) He decides to return home.
(d) He decides to become a merchant.
11. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
(a) A war between good and evil.
(b) A war of tribal improprieties.
(c) A short war.
(d) A battle for the balance of power.
12. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) Neither side.
(b) The evil side.
(c) Both sides.
(d) The good side.
13. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
(a) Language of the desert.
14. The Alchemist tells Santiago in Part 5 to prepare in what way?
(a) Like a hawk.
(b) By trying to do what he wants to do.
(c) By saying goodbye to Fatima.
(d) Like a warrior.
15. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
(a) Soul of the World.
(b) Elixir of Life.
(c) Philosopher's stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
2. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
3. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
4. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
5. How many things does the Alchemist say in Part 6 that Santiago needs to learn?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)