|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
(a) Santiago's father.
(b) The crystal merchant.
(c) The beautiful girl.
(d) The Alchemist.
2. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
(a) The Englishman.
(c) The Alchemist.
(d) One of the tribal leaders of the warring tribes.
3. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
(a) A beautiful girl.
(b) The Alchemist.
(d) The camel driver.
4. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) Try doing it.
(b) I will not teach you.
(c) You already know how to do it.
(d) You are not worthy.
5. What position within the tribe is Santiago awarded after the attack in Part 5?
(a) Oasis guard.
(b) Oasis alchemist.
(c) Oasis counselor.
(d) Oasis tribal leader.
6. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
(a) What will come.
(b) Fear of the suffering.
(c) His destiny.
(d) Living an unfulfilled destiny.
7. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
(a) It is destroyed by the invaders.
(b) They destroy the invaders.
(c) The invaders become a part of the tribe.
(d) It is taken over by the invaders.
8. What final decision does Santiago make about the Alchemist's proposal?
(a) He decides to go with him.
(b) He decides to stay with Fatima.
(c) He decides to return home.
(d) He decides to become a merchant.
9. What does the Alchemist do to Santiago one they are in the chosen location the day after Santiago's trade in Part 5?
(a) Teaches him.
(b) Loses him.
(c) Helps him find riches.
(d) Tests him.
10. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
(a) Hatred and revenge.
(b) Godliness and peace.
(c) Enthusiasm and energy.
(d) Happiness and joy.
11. How many things does the Alchemist say in Part 6 that Santiago needs to learn?
12. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(a) Gold pieces.
(b) His books.
(c) A camel.
13. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(a) His camel.
(c) His new position within the tribe.
(d) His ability to read the desert omens.
14. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
(a) Learns to turn lead into gold.
(b) Reads the Englishman's books.
(c) Learns Arabic.
(d) Creates the Elixir of Life.
15. In Part 5, who tells Santiago a story about a tribe's traditions?
(c) Tribal Chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
2. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
3. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
4. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
5. When Santiago and the Alchemist are about two days away from the pyramids, what does Santiago what to learn?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)