|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 find in the alchemist's bag?
(a) Money and the Elixir of Life.
(b) Philosopher's Stone and Gold.
(c) Elixir of Life and Philosopher's Stone.
(d) Gold and the Elixir of Life.
2. What surprises Santiago about do the individuals who approach him and the Alchemist in Part 6 ?
(a) They steal the Philosopher's stone.
(b) They do not take the Alchemist seriously.
(c) They provide no danger.
(d) They steal the Elixir of Life.
3. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) You are not worthy.
(b) You already know how to do it.
(c) Try doing it.
(d) I will not teach you.
4. What power does the Alchemist say Santiago possesses?
(a) The power to turn himself into wind.
(b) The power to create oases.
(c) The power to turn lead into gold.
(d) The ability to be a powerful guide.
5. What happens to Santiago and the Alchemist when they are one day away from the pyramids?
(a) They pass an encampment.
(b) They continue on their journey.
(c) They meet some armed tribesman.
(d) They are captured as spies.
6. In Part 6, what does Santiago's heart tell him?
(a) To fulfill his destiny.
(b) To return to Fatima.
(c) To find his treasure.
(d) To trust the alchemist.
7. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To leave with him.
(b) To defend the oasis.
(c) To race him on horseback.
(d) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
8. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
(a) The Alchemist.
(c) One of the tribal leaders of the warring tribes.
(d) The Englishman.
9. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
(a) New knowledge.
(b) Love of another.
(c) Their souls.
(d) Their hearts.
10. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Fear and doubt.
(b) Love and excitement.
(c) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(d) Joy and happiness.
11. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
(a) Santiago's warning does not come true.
(b) The oasis is attacked.
(c) Santiago is banished from the oasis.
(d) The Alchemist leaves the oasis.
12. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(a) A camel.
(b) His books.
(c) Gold pieces.
13. What does Fatima trust in?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The fates of the desert.
(d) The tribal chief.
14. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
(d) Language of the desert.
15. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
(a) Never being successful.
(b) Never finding love.
(c) Fulfilling his destiny.
(d) Suffering and losing what it has won.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago's heart tell him as he and the Alchemist pass the encampment in Part 6?
2. What does the Alchemist say quests always begin with?
3. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
4. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
5. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)