|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(b) A camel.
(c) Gold pieces.
(d) His books.
2. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
(a) The people of the oasis pick a specific side in the war.
(b) The alchemist owns it.
(c) It is an illusion.
(d) It is a safe refuge from the war.
3. What does tribal tradition say about the oasis?
(a) It is neutral ground.
(b) It must be protected at all costs.
(c) It can never be attacked.
(d) It must choose sides in the battle.
4. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 6 days.
5. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) A horse.
(b) Gold pieces.
(c) A camel.
6. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To defend the oasis.
(b) To race him on horseback.
(c) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(d) To leave with him.
7. What power does the Alchemist say Santiago possesses?
(a) The ability to be a powerful guide.
(b) The power to turn himself into wind.
(c) The power to create oases.
(d) The power to turn lead into gold.
8. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
(a) They will learn to turn lead into gold.
(b) They will never reach their own.
(c) They will abandon their destiny.
(d) They will help others to reach their destiny.
9. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
(a) The beautiful girl.
(b) Santiago's father.
(c) The crystal merchant.
(d) The Alchemist.
10. What does Fatima trust in?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The tribal chief.
(d) The fates of the desert.
11. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
(d) Date palms.
12. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(a) His new position within the tribe.
(b) His camel.
(d) His ability to read the desert omens.
13. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
(b) Three armed tribesmen.
(c) Chief of a new tribe.
(d) Four tribesmen.
14. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
(a) Soul of the World.
(b) Elixir of Life.
(c) Philosopher's Stone.
(d) Soul of God.
15. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
(a) That he should be afraid of the war.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) Where to find the alchemist.
(d) To stay away from the Englishmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many things does the Alchemist say in Part 6 that Santiago needs to learn?
2. What happens to Santiago and the Alchemist when they are one day away from the pyramids?
3. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
4. The Soul of the World is which of the following?
5. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)