|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 3 days.
2. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To avoid battles.
(b) To get their as fast as they can.
(c) To study the omens of the desert.
(d) To visit all of the oases.
3. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To defend the oasis.
(b) To race him on horseback.
(c) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(d) To leave with him.
4. The Alchemist tells Santiago in Part 5 to prepare in what way?
(a) By saying goodbye to Fatima.
(b) Like a hawk.
(c) By trying to do what he wants to do.
(d) Like a warrior.
5. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) They are home to women and children.
(b) They are home to the alchemist.
(c) They hold no weapons.
(d) There are many jewels.
6. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
(a) They will learn to turn lead into gold.
(b) They will help others to reach their destiny.
(c) They will never reach their own.
(d) They will abandon their destiny.
7. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
(a) It is a safe refuge from the war.
(b) It is an illusion.
(c) The alchemist owns it.
(d) The people of the oasis pick a specific side in the war.
8. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) I will not teach you.
(b) Try doing it.
(c) You already know how to do it.
(d) You are not worthy.
9. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) The evil side.
(b) Both sides.
(c) Neither side.
(d) The good side.
10. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
(a) To begin turning lead into gold.
(b) To make the Elixir of Life.
(c) To create the Master Work.
(d) To keep his tent warm.
11. What does Santiago declare before he leaves with the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) His longing to go home.
(b) His fear of the alchemist.
(c) His love for Fatima.
(d) His desire to go to Mecca.
12. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(a) His new position within the tribe.
(b) His camel.
(d) His ability to read the desert omens.
13. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
(b) The Englishman.
(c) One of the tribal leaders of the warring tribes.
(d) The Alchemist.
14. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
(a) It is destroyed by the invaders.
(b) The invaders become a part of the tribe.
(c) They destroy the invaders.
(d) It is taken over by the invaders.
15. What does the Alchemist say gold truly represents?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tribal chief tell Santiago to always listen to?
2. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
3. In Part 6, what does Santiago's heart tell him?
4. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
5. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)