|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does tribal tradition say about the oasis?
(a) It is neutral ground.
(b) It can never be attacked.
(c) It must choose sides in the battle.
(d) It must be protected at all costs.
2. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
(a) That he should be afraid of the war.
(b) Where to find the alchemist.
(c) That she loves him.
(d) To stay away from the Englishmen.
3. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
(a) Elixir of Life.
(b) Soul of the World.
(c) Soul of God.
(d) Philosopher's Stone.
4. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) Both sides.
(b) The good side.
(c) Neither side.
(d) The evil side.
5. What do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 demand to know?
(a) What tribe they belong to.
(b) Why Santiago has money.
(c) Why the alchemist has the Elixir of Life.
(d) Why the alchemist has the Philosopher's Stone.
6. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
(a) To begin turning lead into gold.
(b) To keep his tent warm.
(c) To make the Elixir of Life.
(d) To create the Master Work.
7. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
(a) Elixir of Life.
(b) Philosopher's stone.
(d) Soul of the World.
8. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To study the omens of the desert.
(b) To visit all of the oases.
(c) To get their as fast as they can.
(d) To avoid battles.
9. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To work through the suffering.
(b) To test it.
(c) To listen to it.
(d) To ingnore it.
10. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
(b) A horse.
(c) Gold pieces.
(d) A camel.
11. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
(a) A battle for the balance of power.
(b) A war of tribal improprieties.
(c) A war between good and evil.
(d) A short war.
12. What does the Alchemist say that the suffering Santiago's heart is experiencing is not as bad as?
(a) Fear of the suffering.
(b) His destiny.
(c) Living an unfulfilled destiny.
(d) What will come.
13. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
(a) Reads the Englishman's books.
(b) Learns Arabic.
(c) Creates the Elixir of Life.
(d) Learns to turn lead into gold.
14. According to the Alchemist, what does the Soul of the World speak through?
(a) The omens of the desert.
(b) The heart.
(c) The Elixir of Life.
(d) The Philosopher's Stone.
15. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Joy and happiness.
(b) Love and excitement.
(c) Fear and doubt.
(d) Confidence and belief in his mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
2. The Soul of the World is which of the following?
3. What does the Alchemist say quests always end with?
4. What power does the Alchemist say Santiago possesses?
5. In Part 5, who tells Santiago a story about a tribe's traditions?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)