|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
(a) Soul of the World.
(b) Master Work.
(c) Elixir of Life.
2. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
(c) Language of the desert.
3. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
(a) Being a counselor.
(b) Being a camel rider.
(c) Being a merchant.
(d) Being a herder.
4. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
(a) The Alchemist.
(b) The Englishman.
(d) The Camel driver, Santiago's friend.
5. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
(a) You already know how to do it.
(b) You are not worthy.
(c) I will not teach you.
(d) Try doing it.
6. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
(a) The Alchemist.
(c) One of the tribal leaders of the warring tribes.
(d) The Englishman.
7. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(a) His books.
(c) Gold pieces.
(d) A camel.
8. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To listen to it.
(b) To work through the suffering.
(c) To test it.
(d) To ingnore it.
9. What position within the tribe is Santiago awarded after the attack in Part 5?
(a) Oasis tribal leader.
(b) Oasis guard.
(c) Oasis counselor.
(d) Oasis alchemist.
10. Whose side of the war does the camel driver say Allah is on?
(a) The evil side.
(b) The good side.
(c) Neither side.
(d) Both sides.
11. What does the Alchemist do to Santiago one they are in the chosen location the day after Santiago's trade in Part 5?
(a) Tests him.
(b) Helps him find riches.
(c) Teaches him.
(d) Loses him.
12. What does Santiago do while the Englishman tries to observe the desert and learn its language?
(a) Learns to turn lead into gold.
(b) Reads the Englishman's books.
(c) Creates the Elixir of Life.
(d) Learns Arabic.
13. According to the Alchemist, what does the Soul of the World speak through?
(a) The Elixir of Life.
(b) The heart.
(c) The Philosopher's Stone.
(d) The omens of the desert.
14. What happens to Santiago and the Alchemist when they are one day away from the pyramids?
(a) They are captured as spies.
(b) They continue on their journey.
(c) They pass an encampment.
(d) They meet some armed tribesman.
15. Where is the caravan Santiago is a part of heading toward in Part 4?
(a) A merchant shop.
(b) The Soul of the World.
(c) Back to Spain.
(d) The oasis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
2. In Part 5, who tells Santiago a story about a tribe's traditions?
3. What reward will Santiago receive if the tribal chief's prediction is correct?
4. What does Santiago's heart tell him as he and the Alchemist pass the encampment in Part 6?
5. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)