|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) They hold no weapons.
(b) They are home to women and children.
(c) They are home to the alchemist.
(d) There are many jewels.
2. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To leave with him.
(b) To defend the oasis.
(c) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(d) To race him on horseback.
3. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
(a) Elixir of Life.
(b) Philosopher's stone.
(c) Soul of the World.
4. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
(a) He is infatuated.
(b) He does not like her.
(c) He is in love at first sight.
(d) He is intimidated by her.
5. Where is the caravan Santiago is a part of heading toward in Part 4?
(a) Back to Spain.
(b) A merchant shop.
(c) The Soul of the World.
(d) The oasis.
6. What does the Alchemist say that Santiago will be successful at if he does not pursue his destiny?
(a) Being a merchant.
(b) Being a camel rider.
(c) Being a counselor.
(d) Being a herder.
7. How long does an alchemist need to heat the metal to purify it?
(a) Many months.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) Many years.
8. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
(a) A short war.
(b) A war between good and evil.
(c) A war of tribal improprieties.
(d) A battle for the balance of power.
9. About what does Santiago learn as he reads the Englishman's books?
(a) Language of the desert.
10. Who is the powerful and intimidating stranger Santiago meets after he leaves the tribal chief?
(a) One of the tribal leaders of the warring tribes.
(b) The Alchemist.
(d) The Englishman.
11. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
12. What does the Englishman build outside of his tent?
(a) A furnace.
(b) A bookshelf.
(c) An alchemy hut.
(d) A war shelter.
13. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Fear and doubt.
(b) Love and excitement.
(c) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(d) Joy and happiness.
14. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
(a) A revolver.
(d) Philosopher's stones.
15. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
(a) Three armed tribesmen.
(b) Four tribesmen.
(d) Chief of a new tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Santiago and the Alchemist are about two days away from the pyramids, what does Santiago what to learn?
2. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
3. What does Santiago notice the Englishman has gained as he begins to try to turn lead into gold?
4. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
5. What surprises Santiago about do the individuals who approach him and the Alchemist in Part 6 ?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)