|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(b) Gold pieces.
(c) His books.
(d) A camel.
2. Which of the following is considered the liquid half of the Master Work?
(a) Elixir of Life.
(b) Soul of the World.
(c) Philosopher's stone.
3. What final decision does Santiago make about the Alchemist's proposal?
(a) He decides to go with him.
(b) He decides to stay with Fatima.
(c) He decides to become a merchant.
(d) He decides to return home.
4. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To study the omens of the desert.
(b) To avoid battles.
(c) To get their as fast as they can.
(d) To visit all of the oases.
5. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
(a) Santiago's warning does not come true.
(b) The Alchemist leaves the oasis.
(c) The oasis is attacked.
(d) Santiago is banished from the oasis.
6. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To test it.
(b) To work through the suffering.
(c) To ingnore it.
(d) To listen to it.
7. Which of the following is not found in the oasis?
(c) Date palms.
8. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
(a) She will go with him.
(b) She will not wait for him to return.
(c) She will wait for him to return.
(d) He should stay and not go.
9. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
(a) Never being successful.
(b) Fulfilling his destiny.
(c) Never finding love.
(d) Suffering and losing what it has won.
10. What reward will Santiago receive if the tribal chief's prediction is correct?
(a) A space to build a stand and become a merchant.
(b) A home with the tribe.
(c) Gold pieces.
(d) A horse.
11. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 5 days.
12. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Love and excitement.
(b) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(c) Fear and doubt.
(d) Joy and happiness.
13. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To race him on horseback.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(d) To defend the oasis.
14. How does Santiago feel about the individual he meets at the well in Part 4?
(a) He does not like her.
(b) He is in love at first sight.
(c) He is infatuated.
(d) He is intimidated by her.
15. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) There are many jewels.
(b) They hold no weapons.
(c) They are home to the alchemist.
(d) They are home to women and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist do to Santiago one they are in the chosen location the day after Santiago's trade in Part 5?
2. What does tribal tradition say about the oasis?
3. What two things do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 find in the alchemist's bag?
4. In Part 6, what does Santiago's heart tell him?
5. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)