|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object(s) does the Englishman have that surprises Santiago?
(b) A revolver.
(d) Philosopher's stones.
2. What happens to Santiago and the Alchemist when they are one day away from the pyramids?
(a) They are captured as spies.
(b) They meet some armed tribesman.
(c) They pass an encampment.
(d) They continue on their journey.
3. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
(a) Soul of the World.
(b) Elixir of Life.
(c) Master Work.
4. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
(a) He should stay and not go.
(b) She will not wait for him to return.
(c) She will go with him.
(d) She will wait for him to return.
5. According to the Alchemist, what does the Soul of the World speak through?
(a) The omens of the desert.
(b) The Elixir of Life.
(c) The heart.
(d) The Philosopher's Stone.
6. The Alchemist tells Santiago in Part 5 to prepare in what way?
(a) Like a warrior.
(b) By saying goodbye to Fatima.
(c) By trying to do what he wants to do.
(d) Like a hawk.
7. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 6 days.
8. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
9. What does the powerful and intimidating stranger in Part 5 demand of Santiago?
(a) To know who read the hawk's flight omen.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) To defend the oasis.
(d) To race him on horseback.
10. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(b) Love and excitement.
(c) Joy and happiness.
(d) Fear and doubt.
11. What does the Alchemist say that people need to master?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) New knowledge.
(c) Love of another.
(d) Their souls.
12. What final decision does Santiago make about the Alchemist's proposal?
(a) He decides to become a merchant.
(b) He decides to go with him.
(c) He decides to stay with Fatima.
(d) He decides to return home.
13. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 3 weeks.
14. In Part 6, what does Santiago always promise about his heart?
(a) To work through the suffering.
(b) To test it.
(c) To listen to it.
(d) To ingnore it.
15. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
(a) They will learn to turn lead into gold.
(b) They will abandon their destiny.
(c) They will never reach their own.
(d) They will help others to reach their destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
2. What does the Alchemist do to Santiago one they are in the chosen location the day after Santiago's trade in Part 5?
3. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
4. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
5. Which of the following is true about the oasis?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)