|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
(a) The oasis is attacked.
(b) Santiago is banished from the oasis.
(c) The Alchemist leaves the oasis.
(d) Santiago's warning does not come true.
2. What does Santiago express to the alchemist at the beginning of Part 6?
(a) Joy and happiness.
(b) Love and excitement.
(c) Confidence and belief in his mission.
(d) Fear and doubt.
3. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
(a) His new position within the tribe.
(b) His ability to read the desert omens.
(d) His camel.
4. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
(a) Soul of the World.
(b) Philosopher's Stone.
(c) Soul of God.
(d) Elixir of Life.
5. What promise does the tribal chief tell Santiago they will break?
(a) To have women and children fight in the war.
(b) To not choose sides in the battle.
(c) Not to carry arms.
(d) To protect the desert.
6. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
7. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
(a) The invaders become a part of the tribe.
(b) They destroy the invaders.
(c) It is destroyed by the invaders.
(d) It is taken over by the invaders.
8. What should Santiago acquire for his trade, according to the Alchemist in Part 5?
(a) Gold pieces.
(b) A horse.
(d) A camel.
9. Who does Santiago meet at the well in Part 4?
(b) The Alchemist.
(c) A beautiful girl.
(d) The camel driver.
10. What does the individual Santiago meets at the well in Part 4 tell him?
(a) Where to find the alchemist.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) To stay away from the Englishmen.
(d) That he should be afraid of the war.
11. What does the Englishman plan on using the object he built outside of his tent for?
(a) To create the Master Work.
(b) To keep his tent warm.
(c) To begin turning lead into gold.
(d) To make the Elixir of Life.
12. Once all of the metal's properties are burned away, what is left?
(a) Master Work.
(b) Elixir of Life.
(d) Soul of the World.
13. In Part 6, how long are the alchemist and Santiago given to prove that Santiago really does have the ability that the Alchemist claims he does?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
14. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
15. What does the Alchemist say happens to anyone who interferes with the destinies of others?
(a) They will help others to reach their destiny.
(b) They will never reach their own.
(c) They will learn to turn lead into gold.
(d) They will abandon their destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6?
2. Where does the Alchemist take Santiago the day after he makes his trade?
3. According to Part 4, who is waiting at the oasis?
4. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
5. What does Santiago tell the Alchemist that his heart is afraid of?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)