|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the tribal chief tell Santiago to always listen to?
(a) Tribal tales.
(c) Omens of the desert.
(d) The Alchemist.
2. What does the Alchemist say gold truly represents?
3. How many days pass on their traveling together before Santiago asks the Alchemist about teaching?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 5 days.
4. What does Santiago find out is the Language of the World?
5. What reward will Santiago receive if the tribal chief's prediction is correct?
(a) Gold pieces.
(b) A home with the tribe.
(c) A space to build a stand and become a merchant.
(d) A horse.
6. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago will severely test him?
(a) Soul of God.
(b) Elixir of Life.
(c) Philosopher's Stone.
(d) Soul of the World.
7. What precautions do Santiago and the Alchemist take as they travel through the desert?
(a) To avoid battles.
(b) To study the omens of the desert.
(c) To visit all of the oases.
(d) To get their as fast as they can.
8. How long does an alchemist need to heat the metal to purify it?
(a) Many months.
(b) One year.
(c) Many years.
(d) One month.
9. What happens after the oasis is attacked?
(a) The invaders become a part of the tribe.
(b) They destroy the invaders.
(c) It is taken over by the invaders.
(d) It is destroyed by the invaders.
10. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago to trade in Part 5?
(a) His books.
(b) A camel.
(d) Gold pieces.
11. What does the Alchemist say has come to represent the highest point of evolution?
12. What happens the day after Santiago speaks with the tribal chief?
(a) The Alchemist leaves the oasis.
(b) Santiago is banished from the oasis.
(c) The oasis is attacked.
(d) Santiago's warning does not come true.
13. Why are oases considered neutral ground?
(a) They hold no weapons.
(b) They are home to women and children.
(c) They are home to the alchemist.
(d) There are many jewels.
14. What does the Englishman build outside of his tent?
(a) A war shelter.
(b) An alchemy hut.
(c) A furnace.
(d) A bookshelf.
15. What does Fatima say about Santiago's leaving in Part 5?
(a) She will wait for him to return.
(b) He should stay and not go.
(c) She will not wait for him to return.
(d) She will go with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to be the only one in the caravan not afraid of the war talk?
2. In Part 4, what kind of war does the camel driver tell Santiago is happening?
3. What do do the individuals who approach the Alchemist and Santiago in Part 6 do when the alchemist explains what the items in his bag do?
4. What did the Alchemist say to the Englishman when asked about teaching him how to turn lead into gold?
5. in Part 5, what does Santiago think his treasure is?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)