|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To share his wealth.
(b) To realize his obligations.
(c) To realize his destiny.
(d) To fulfill his obligations.
2. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) People will get sick.
(c) He will have to expand his business.
(d) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
3. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
(d) His parents.
4. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To become a shepherd.
(c) To become a translator.
(d) To study at the seminary .
5. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
6. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
7. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
8. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(d) Egyptian pyramids.
9. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
(a) He does not like change.
(b) He is afraid of thieves.
(c) He needs to keep his crystal in his shop.
(d) He cannot afford it.
10. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
(a) New crystals.
(b) An outside display case.
(c) A place to keep sheep.
(d) A tea stand.
11. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
(b) A ticket to Egypt.
(c) Sheep to rebuild his flock.
(d) A regular job.
12. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
(a) The fields in which he herds sheep.
(b) The beautiful girl.
(c) The old man.
(d) His sheep.
13. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
(a) Within two months.
(b) Within four months.
(c) Within a month.
(d) Within six months.
14. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The king.
(b) The gypsy.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) Santiago's father.
15. What does the old man says that conspires to see that people really get what they want?
(d) The Universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
2. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
3. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
4. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
5. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)