|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
2. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
(a) The possibility of meeting the merchant's daughter.
(b) The possibility of being a shepherd.
(c) The possibility of having a dream come true.
(d) The possibility of traveling the world.
3. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
(a) In the desert, you must obey the camels.
(b) In the desert, disobedience means death.
(c) In the caravan, disobedience means death.
(d) In the caravan, you must obey the Bedouins.
4. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
5. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
6. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) The old man.
(c) His sheep.
(d) The wind.
7. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Translate items for people.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Be just like his father.
8. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
(a) A ticket on the boat.
(b) Two camels.
(c) Two crystals.
(d) Two stones.
9. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The merchant's daughter.
(c) The Egyptian pyramids.
(d) The gypsy.
10. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
(a) Omen and Gypsy.
(b) Gypsy and Thummim.
(c) Urim and Thummim.
(d) Urim and Omen.
11. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(b) He will have to expand his business.
(d) People will get sick.
12. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
(a) War between Egypt and Spain.
(b) War between the desert tribes.
(c) Thieves and robbers coming to attack the caravan.
(d) War between members of the caravan.
13. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
14. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
(a) With the beautiful girl.
(b) The Egyptian pyramids.
(c) At home.
(d) In the oasis.
15. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To study at the seminary .
(c) To become a shepherd.
(d) To become a translator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
2. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
3. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
4. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
5. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)