|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The Egyptian pyramids.
(c) The merchant's daughter.
(d) The gypsy.
2. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) The king.
(b) His life's desire.
(c) Hidden treasure.
(d) A woman.
3. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To realize his destiny.
(b) To fulfill his obligations.
(c) To realize his obligations.
(d) To share his wealth.
4. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) Twice the amount.
(b) Three times the amount.
(c) Half of the amount.
(d) The same amount.
5. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From the field.
(b) From his father.
(c) From his mother.
(d) From the gypsy.
6. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Looks for the old man.
(b) Searches for the other boy.
(c) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(d) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
7. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Reads his palm.
(b) Interprets his dreams.
(c) Reads the bumps on his head.
(d) Tells his fortune.
8. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) He only had to pay her a small fee.
(b) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
(c) He does not have to pay her.
(d) She dies.
9. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) Santiago's father.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The king.
10. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
11. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He promised his father.
(b) He needs their fleece.
(c) They depend on him.
(d) He loves them.
12. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a crystal merchant.
(b) With a ticket salesman.
(c) With a camel salesman.
(d) Herding sheep.
13. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To become a translator.
(b) To school in Spain
(c) To study at the seminary .
(d) To become a shepherd.
14. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
15. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
2. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
3. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
4. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
5. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)