|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He promised his father.
(b) He needs their fleece.
(c) He loves them.
(d) They depend on him.
2. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
(a) Heart of the soul.
(b) Heart of the world.
(c) Soul of the heart.
(d) Soul of the world.
3. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
(a) To make crystals.
(b) To become a shop owner.
(c) To go to Egypt.
(d) To buy a new herd of sheep.
4. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) Three times the amount.
(b) The same amount.
(c) Half of the amount.
(d) Twice the amount.
5. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Dozens of people and animals.
(b) Hundreds of people and animals.
(c) Thousands of people and animals.
(d) Hundreds of people only.
6. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a crystal merchant.
(b) Herding sheep.
(c) With a ticket salesman.
(d) With a camel salesman.
7. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will have to expand his business.
(c) People will get sick.
(d) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
8. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to turn lead into gold.
(b) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(c) How to survive in the desert.
(d) How to find positive omens.
9. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(a) A ticket to Africa.
(b) More sheep to herd.
10. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
(a) Two crystals.
(b) Two camels.
(c) Two stones.
(d) A ticket on the boat.
11. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) More than a year.
(b) One day.
(c) More than two years.
(d) One month.
12. Where is the caravan traveling in Part 3?
(a) Across Spain.
(b) Across Africa.
(c) Across the Sahara.
(d) Across the sea.
13. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The merchant's daughter.
(c) The Egyptian pyramids.
(d) The gypsy.
14. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To become a translator.
(b) To study at the seminary .
(c) To school in Spain
(d) To become a shepherd.
15. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) He does not have to pay her.
(b) He only had to pay her a small fee.
(c) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
(d) She dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
2. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
3. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
4. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
5. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)