|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times has Santiago had the dream about the child?
2. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
(a) Personal courage.
(b) A caravan.
(c) Good luck crystals.
(d) Omen belief.
3. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
(a) Tea and cookies.
(b) Crystal glasses.
(c) Crystal glasses with tea in them.
(d) Crystals with omens inside.
4. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
(a) Cool off the shop.
(b) Provide better displaying of the crystal.
(c) Attract more customers.
(d) Double the size of his shop.
5. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(b) How to turn lead into gold.
(c) How to survive in the desert.
(d) How to find positive omens.
6. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To realize his obligations.
(b) To realize his destiny.
(c) To share his wealth.
(d) To fulfill his obligations.
7. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
(a) The old man didn't give him any useful information.
(b) The old man did not give him money.
(c) The old man was wrong.
(d) The old man was right.
8. What does Santiago do with the three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) Travels to the town of Andalusia.
(b) Buys a flock of sheep.
(c) Buys land to farm near his father.
(d) Travels the world.
9. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
10. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
(a) He cannot afford it.
(b) He needs to keep his crystal in his shop.
(c) He does not like change.
(d) He is afraid of thieves.
11. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
(a) Three crystal stones.
(b) Three oracle stones.
(c) Two crystal stones.
(d) Two oracle stones.
12. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
(a) In the desert, disobedience means death.
(b) In the caravan, you must obey the Bedouins.
(c) In the desert, you must obey the camels.
(d) In the caravan, disobedience means death.
13. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
14. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
15. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
2. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
3. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
4. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
5. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)