|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
(a) A herd of sheep.
(b) A ticket to Egypt.
(d) A place to sleep.
2. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
(a) In the oasis.
(b) With the beautiful girl.
(c) At home.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
3. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
(a) He does not like change.
(b) He cannot afford it.
(c) He is afraid of thieves.
(d) He needs to keep his crystal in his shop.
4. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) The same amount.
(b) Twice the amount.
(c) Three times the amount.
(d) Half of the amount.
5. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(a) Egyptian pyramids.
6. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
(a) A child.
(b) A king.
(c) An old man.
(d) His father.
7. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Be just like his father.
(c) Travel the world.
(d) Translate items for people.
8. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
(a) The fact that he wants to become a priest.
(b) The fact that he is a shepherd.
(c) The fact that he can read.
(d) The fact that he can speak Latin and Greek.
9. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) Hidden treasure.
(b) His life's desire.
(c) A woman.
(d) The king.
10. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
11. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One tenth of his treasure.
(b) One tenth of his flock.
(c) One half of his treasure.
(d) One half of his flock.
12. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) His father.
(c) The king.
(d) The alchemist.
13. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To share his wealth.
(b) To realize his destiny.
(c) To fulfill his obligations.
(d) To realize his obligations.
14. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
15. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
2. Which of the following does Santiago not have left after his interaction with the boy in Part 2?
3. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
4. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
5. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)