|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) Santiago's father.
(b) The gypsy.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The king.
2. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Hundreds of people and animals.
(b) Thousands of people and animals.
(c) Dozens of people and animals.
(d) Hundreds of people only.
3. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
(a) One half of the treasure.
(b) One fifth of the treasure.
(c) One tenth of the treasure.
(d) Three golden coins.
4. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Searches for the other boy.
(b) Looks for the old man.
(c) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(d) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
5. What happens to Santiago's money in Part 2?
(a) He buys two camels with it.
(b) He gives it to the old man.
(c) He gives it to the boy.
(d) He gives it to the crystal maker.
6. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
(a) The castle of the king.
(c) The gypsy's home.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
7. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From his father.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From the gypsy.
(d) From the field.
8. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
9. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
(a) The old man was wrong.
(b) The old man did not give him money.
(c) The old man was right.
(d) The old man didn't give him any useful information.
10. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(b) He will have to expand his business.
(c) People will get sick.
(d) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
11. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Start his own crystal shop.
(b) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(c) Go to Egypt.
(d) Go home and work for his father.
12. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
(a) Sheep to rebuild his flock.
(b) A regular job.
(c) A ticket to Egypt.
13. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
(a) Running errands.
(b) Cleaning the crystal.
(c) Making crystals.
(d) Washing windows.
14. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
(a) He cries.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He stows away on a boat to Africa.
(d) He chases the boy.
15. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
(a) The two stones.
(b) The gypsy.
(c) The beautiful girl.
(d) His book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
2. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
3. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
4. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
5. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)