|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(b) How to survive in the desert.
(c) How to turn lead into gold.
(d) How to find positive omens.
2. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One half of his flock.
(b) One tenth of his treasure.
(c) One tenth of his flock.
(d) One half of his treasure.
3. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
(a) A king.
(b) A child.
(c) An old man.
(d) His father.
4. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(b) He will have to expand his business.
(d) People will get sick.
5. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) Twice the amount.
(b) Half of the amount.
(c) Three times the amount.
(d) The same amount.
6. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To study at the seminary .
(c) To become a shepherd.
(d) To become a translator.
7. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
8. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
(a) Heart of the soul.
(b) Heart of the world.
(c) Soul of the heart.
(d) Soul of the world.
9. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
(a) About three months.
(b) About six months.
(c) About twelve months.
(d) About one month.
10. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
11. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
(a) A ticket to Egypt.
(c) A regular job.
(d) Sheep to rebuild his flock.
12. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Be just like his father.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Translate items for people.
13. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Interprets his dreams.
(b) Reads the bumps on his head.
(c) Tells his fortune.
(d) Reads his palm.
14. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
15. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
2. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
3. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
4. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
5. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)