|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
(a) The Egyptian pyramids.
(b) At home.
(c) With the beautiful girl.
(d) In the oasis.
2. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One tenth of his flock.
(b) One half of his flock.
(c) One tenth of his treasure.
(d) One half of his treasure.
3. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
(a) War between the desert tribes.
(b) War between Egypt and Spain.
(c) Thieves and robbers coming to attack the caravan.
(d) War between members of the caravan.
4. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
(a) The old man was right.
(b) The old man didn't give him any useful information.
(c) The old man was wrong.
(d) The old man did not give him money.
5. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
(a) His sheep.
(b) The beautiful girl.
(c) The fields in which he herds sheep.
(d) The old man.
6. What does the old man says that conspires to see that people really get what they want?
(d) The Universe.
7. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
(a) Crystals with omens inside.
(b) Crystal glasses with tea in them.
(c) Tea and cookies.
(d) Crystal glasses.
8. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(a) A ticket to Africa.
(d) More sheep to herd.
9. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From his father.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From the gypsy.
(d) From the field.
10. What fields does Santiago travel with his flock of animals?
(a) The Seminary's.
(b) The gypsy's.
(d) His father's.
11. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
(a) A herd of sheep.
(b) A ticket to Egypt.
(d) A place to sleep.
12. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(b) How to find positive omens.
(c) How to survive in the desert.
(d) How to turn lead into gold.
13. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
(b) He does not have to pay her.
(c) He only had to pay her a small fee.
(d) She dies.
14. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
(a) Two oracle stones.
(b) Three crystal stones.
(c) Two crystal stones.
(d) Three oracle stones.
15. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He promised his father.
(b) He needs their fleece.
(c) They depend on him.
(d) He loves them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of this novel?
2. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
3. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
4. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
5. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)