|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Thousands of people and animals.
(b) Hundreds of people and animals.
(c) Hundreds of people only.
(d) Dozens of people and animals.
2. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(b) How to survive in the desert.
(c) How to find positive omens.
(d) How to turn lead into gold.
3. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From his father.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From the field.
(d) From the gypsy.
4. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
(a) Thieves and robbers coming to attack the caravan.
(b) War between the desert tribes.
(c) War between Egypt and Spain.
(d) War between members of the caravan.
5. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
6. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
(a) In the fields with his sheep.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) At the old man's house.
(d) The boat.
7. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
(a) He will always stay a shepherd.
(b) With the merchant's daughter.
(c) Back home.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
8. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(b) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(c) People will get sick.
(d) He will have to expand his business.
9. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) The king.
(b) Hidden treasure.
(c) A woman.
(d) His life's desire.
10. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The old man.
(b) The wind.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) His sheep.
11. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(a) Egyptian pyramids.
12. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
(b) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(c) Searches for the other boy.
(d) Looks for the old man.
13. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The Egyptian pyramids.
(b) The merchant's daughter.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The gypsy.
14. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
15. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) Santiago's father.
(b) The king.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The alchemist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
2. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
3. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
4. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
5. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)