|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
(a) At the gypsy's home.
(b) At the house of the merchant's daughter.
(c) On a bench in the plaza.
(d) In the field with his sheep.
2. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He loves them.
(b) They depend on him.
(c) He needs their fleece.
(d) He promised his father.
3. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) His life's desire.
(b) Hidden treasure.
(c) The king.
(d) A woman.
4. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
5. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
(a) Back home.
(b) He will always stay a shepherd.
(c) With the merchant's daughter.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
6. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
7. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(d) Egyptian pyramids.
8. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
(a) In the caravan, you must obey the Bedouins.
(b) In the desert, you must obey the camels.
(c) In the desert, disobedience means death.
(d) In the caravan, disobedience means death.
9. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To become a translator.
(c) To study at the seminary .
(d) To become a shepherd.
10. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
11. Who is the main character of this novel?
12. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
(a) Soul of the world.
(b) Soul of the heart.
(c) Heart of the world.
(d) Heart of the soul.
13. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Be just like his father.
(b) Translate items for people.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Travel the world.
14. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
(a) Personal courage.
(b) A caravan.
(c) Omen belief.
(d) Good luck crystals.
15. What fields does Santiago travel with his flock of animals?
(b) His father's.
(c) The gypsy's.
(d) The Seminary's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
2. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
3. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
4. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
5. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)