|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago do with the three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) Buys a flock of sheep.
(b) Buys land to farm near his father.
(c) Travels to the town of Andalusia.
(d) Travels the world.
2. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
3. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
4. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The king.
(c) Santiago's father.
(d) The gypsy.
5. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
6. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) The same amount.
(b) Three times the amount.
(c) Half of the amount.
(d) Twice the amount.
7. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To share his wealth.
(b) To realize his destiny.
(c) To realize his obligations.
(d) To fulfill his obligations.
8. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
(a) He stows away on a boat to Africa.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He cries.
(d) He chases the boy.
9. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One half of his flock.
(b) One half of his treasure.
(c) One tenth of his flock.
(d) One tenth of his treasure.
10. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
(a) Cleaning up after camels.
(b) Selling tickets.
(c) Creating crystals.
(d) Cleaning windows.
11. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
(a) The protection of the crystals.
(b) The omens.
(c) The Elixir of Life.
(d) He is rich.
12. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
13. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
14. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will have to expand his business.
(b) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(c) People will get sick.
15. What does the old man says that conspires to see that people really get what they want?
(b) The Universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
2. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
3. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
4. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
5. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)