|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
(a) Omen belief.
(b) Good luck crystals.
(c) Personal courage.
(d) A caravan.
2. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
3. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Interprets his dreams.
(b) Tells his fortune.
(c) Reads his palm.
(d) Reads the bumps on his head.
4. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
(a) Double the size of his shop.
(b) Provide better displaying of the crystal.
(c) Cool off the shop.
(d) Attract more customers.
5. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
(a) One fifth of the treasure.
(b) One tenth of the treasure.
(c) Three golden coins.
(d) One half of the treasure.
6. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
(b) A herd of sheep.
(c) A place to sleep.
(d) A ticket to Egypt.
7. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From his mother.
(b) From the gypsy.
(c) From the field.
(d) From his father.
8. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Searches for the other boy.
(b) Looks for the old man.
(c) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
(d) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
9. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) The merchant's daughter.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
10. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(b) Go home and work for his father.
(c) Start his own crystal shop.
(d) Go to Egypt.
11. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
(a) Urim and Thummim.
(b) Urim and Omen.
(c) Gypsy and Thummim.
(d) Omen and Gypsy.
12. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
(b) The castle of the king.
(c) The gypsy's home.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
13. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
14. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
(a) The fact that he can speak Latin and Greek.
(b) The fact that he wants to become a priest.
(c) The fact that he can read.
(d) The fact that he is a shepherd.
15. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
2. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
3. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
4. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
5. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)