|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
(a) The possibility of having a dream come true.
(b) The possibility of being a shepherd.
(c) The possibility of meeting the merchant's daughter.
(d) The possibility of traveling the world.
2. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) One month.
(b) More than two years.
(c) One day.
(d) More than a year.
3. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
4. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
(a) Goes back to his flock.
(b) Goes to find the merchant's daughter.
(c) Runs errands.
(d) Talks to the king.
5. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
6. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
7. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) Santiago's father.
(b) The king.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The gypsy.
8. Who is the main character of this novel?
9. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
10. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
11. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Interprets his dreams.
(b) Reads his palm.
(c) Reads the bumps on his head.
(d) Tells his fortune.
12. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
(c) An alchemist.
13. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(c) Egyptian pyramids.
14. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
(a) Two crystal stones.
(b) Three oracle stones.
(c) Two oracle stones.
(d) Three crystal stones.
15. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
(d) Muslim beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
2. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
3. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
4. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
5. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)