|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
(a) In the fields with his sheep.
(b) The boat.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) At the old man's house.
2. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
(a) To make crystals.
(b) To buy a new herd of sheep.
(c) To become a shop owner.
(d) To go to Egypt.
3. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To become a shepherd.
(c) To study at the seminary .
(d) To become a translator.
4. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 90 years old.
(b) 100 years old.
(c) 200 years old.
(d) 300 years old.
5. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
6. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
(a) The Egyptian pyramids.
(b) In the oasis.
(c) With the beautiful girl.
(d) At home.
7. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
(a) Within six months.
(b) Within four months.
(c) Within two months.
(d) Within a month.
8. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
(a) Running errands.
(b) Washing windows.
(c) Cleaning the crystal.
(d) Making crystals.
9. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
(a) Three crystal stones.
(b) Two crystal stones.
(c) Two oracle stones.
(d) Three oracle stones.
10. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
(a) A child.
(b) A king.
(c) His father.
(d) An old man.
11. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
12. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
(a) One tenth of the treasure.
(b) Three golden coins.
(c) One half of the treasure.
(d) One fifth of the treasure.
13. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Travel the world.
(c) Translate items for people.
(d) Be just like his father.
14. What fields does Santiago travel with his flock of animals?
(a) His father's.
(b) The gypsy's.
(d) The Seminary's.
15. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) A woman.
(b) His life's desire.
(c) Hidden treasure.
(d) The king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
2. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
3. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
4. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
5. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)