|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(c) A ticket to Africa.
(d) More sheep to herd.
2. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to turn lead into gold.
(b) How to make the Elixir of Life.
(c) How to find positive omens.
(d) How to survive in the desert.
3. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
4. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
(d) Muslim beliefs.
5. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
6. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Go to Egypt.
(b) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(c) Start his own crystal shop.
(d) Go home and work for his father.
7. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
(a) New crystals.
(b) A tea stand.
(c) An outside display case.
(d) A place to keep sheep.
8. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(b) Looks for the old man.
(c) Searches for the other boy.
(d) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
9. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
(a) Goes to find the merchant's daughter.
(b) Goes back to his flock.
(c) Runs errands.
(d) Talks to the king.
10. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a ticket salesman.
(b) Herding sheep.
(c) With a camel salesman.
(d) With a crystal merchant.
11. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
(a) The church where he learned the seminary skills.
(b) An abandoned church.
(c) A gypsy's caravan.
(d) The merchant's store.
12. What fields does Santiago travel with his flock of animals?
(a) The Seminary's.
(b) The gypsy's.
(c) His father's.
13. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) The alchemist.
(c) The Egyptian pyramids.
(d) The merchant's daughter.
14. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) The boat.
(c) In the fields with his sheep.
(d) At the old man's house.
15. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
2. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
3. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
4. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
5. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)