|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Dozens of people and animals.
(b) Hundreds of people and animals.
(c) Hundreds of people only.
(d) Thousands of people and animals.
2. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Searches for the other boy.
(b) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(c) Looks for the old man.
(d) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
3. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
4. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) Twice the amount.
(b) Half of the amount.
(c) The same amount.
(d) Three times the amount.
5. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) She dies.
(b) He does not have to pay her.
(c) He only had to pay her a small fee.
(d) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
6. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a camel salesman.
(b) With a ticket salesman.
(c) With a crystal merchant.
(d) Herding sheep.
7. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
8. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To realize his obligations.
(b) To fulfill his obligations.
(c) To realize his destiny.
(d) To share his wealth.
9. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
(a) Gypsy and Thummim.
(b) Urim and Thummim.
(c) Omen and Gypsy.
(d) Urim and Omen.
10. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) His sheep.
(c) The old man.
(d) The wind.
11. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
12. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He promised his father.
(b) They depend on him.
(c) He needs their fleece.
(d) He loves them.
13. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
(d) Muslim beliefs.
14. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
(a) He gives it to the crystal maker.
(b) He loses it and cannot find it.
(c) It is stolen by the old man.
(d) It is stolen by the boy.
15. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
(c) An alchemist.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
2. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
3. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
4. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
5. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)