|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) Santiago's father.
(b) The gypsy.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The king.
2. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The wind.
(b) His sheep.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The old man.
3. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(b) A ticket to Africa.
(c) More sheep to herd.
4. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(b) Egyptian pyramids.
5. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
6. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
(a) With the merchant's daughter.
(b) Back home.
(c) He will always stay a shepherd.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
7. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
8. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
9. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
(a) The omens.
(b) He is rich.
(c) The protection of the crystals.
(d) The Elixir of Life.
10. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
(a) His father.
(b) The king.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The gypsy.
11. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
(a) Cleaning up after camels.
(b) Selling tickets.
(c) Creating crystals.
(d) Cleaning windows.
12. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Dozens of people and animals.
(b) Thousands of people and animals.
(c) Hundreds of people only.
(d) Hundreds of people and animals.
13. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
(a) Tea and cookies.
(b) Crystals with omens inside.
(c) Crystal glasses with tea in them.
(d) Crystal glasses.
14. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to turn lead into gold.
(b) How to find positive omens.
(c) How to survive in the desert.
(d) How to make the Elixir of Life.
15. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) They depend on him.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He needs their fleece.
(d) He promised his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
2. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
3. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
4. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
5. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)