|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
(a) He stows away on a boat to Africa.
(b) He cries.
(c) He goes home.
(d) He chases the boy.
2. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
3. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
(b) His parents.
4. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One tenth of his treasure.
(b) One tenth of his flock.
(c) One half of his treasure.
(d) One half of his flock.
5. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
6. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(b) Egyptian pyramids.
7. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
8. Where is the caravan traveling in Part 3?
(a) Across Spain.
(b) Across the Sahara.
(c) Across the sea.
(d) Across Africa.
9. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
(a) The fact that he wants to become a priest.
(b) The fact that he can speak Latin and Greek.
(c) The fact that he is a shepherd.
(d) The fact that he can read.
10. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
(a) Crystals with omens inside.
(b) Crystal glasses with tea in them.
(c) Tea and cookies.
(d) Crystal glasses.
11. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The gypsy.
(c) His father.
(d) The king.
12. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
(a) A place to keep sheep.
(b) A tea stand.
(c) An outside display case.
(d) New crystals.
13. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
14. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
(b) Muslim beliefs.
15. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) They depend on him.
(b) He needs their fleece.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He promised his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
2. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
3. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
4. After his first job is complete in Part 2, what is Santiago offered?
5. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)