|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
(a) His father.
(b) The alchemist.
(c) The king.
(d) The gypsy.
2. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
(a) He needs to keep his crystal in his shop.
(b) He does not like change.
(c) He is afraid of thieves.
(d) He cannot afford it.
3. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
(a) The two stones.
(b) His book.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The beautiful girl.
4. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
(a) On a bench in the plaza.
(b) In the field with his sheep.
(c) At the gypsy's home.
(d) At the house of the merchant's daughter.
5. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
6. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
(a) To school in Spain
(b) To study at the seminary .
(c) To become a translator.
(d) To become a shepherd.
7. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One half of his flock.
(b) One tenth of his treasure.
(c) One half of his treasure.
(d) One tenth of his flock.
8. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
9. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(c) He will have to expand his business.
(d) People will get sick.
10. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Go home and work for his father.
(b) Start his own crystal shop.
(c) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(d) Go to Egypt.
11. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(a) More sheep to herd.
(d) A ticket to Africa.
12. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a ticket salesman.
(b) Herding sheep.
(c) With a camel salesman.
(d) With a crystal merchant.
13. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Dozens of people and animals.
(b) Hundreds of people only.
(c) Hundreds of people and animals.
(d) Thousands of people and animals.
14. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
(a) His parents.
15. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
(a) To realize his obligations.
(b) To share his wealth.
(c) To fulfill his obligations.
(d) To realize his destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
2. What does the old man says that conspires to see that people really get what they want?
3. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
4. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
5. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)