|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
(a) He is afraid of thieves.
(b) He cannot afford it.
(c) He needs to keep his crystal in his shop.
(d) He does not like change.
2. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will have to expand his business.
(b) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(d) People will get sick.
3. How much of his flock does Santiago's friend buy?
4. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
5. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
(a) The omens.
(b) The Elixir of Life.
(c) The protection of the crystals.
(d) He is rich.
6. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Dozens of people and animals.
(b) Hundreds of people only.
(c) Thousands of people and animals.
(d) Hundreds of people and animals.
7. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
8. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
(a) The fact that he can read.
(b) The fact that he is a shepherd.
(c) The fact that he can speak Latin and Greek.
(d) The fact that he wants to become a priest.
9. Where does Santiago get his first a job on his journey?
(a) With a camel salesman.
(b) Herding sheep.
(c) With a crystal merchant.
(d) With a ticket salesman.
10. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
(a) How to turn lead into gold.
(b) How to survive in the desert.
(c) How to find positive omens.
(d) How to make the Elixir of Life.
11. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
12. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
13. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
(a) More sheep to herd.
(c) A ticket to Africa.
14. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
(a) The gypsy's home.
(b) The Egyptian pyramids.
(c) The castle of the king.
15. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
(a) One tenth of the treasure.
(b) One half of the treasure.
(c) One fifth of the treasure.
(d) Three golden coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
2. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
3. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
4. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
5. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)