|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
(a) Personal courage.
(b) Omen belief.
(c) A caravan.
(d) Good luck crystals.
2. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
3. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
(a) War between members of the caravan.
(b) War between Egypt and Spain.
(c) War between the desert tribes.
(d) Thieves and robbers coming to attack the caravan.
4. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
(a) Back home.
(b) He will always stay a shepherd.
(c) The Egyptian pyramids.
(d) With the merchant's daughter.
5. Which of the follow is not something Santiago decides is a step on the way to his destiny?
(a) The beautiful girl.
(b) The old man.
(c) The fields in which he herds sheep.
(d) His sheep.
6. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
(a) Urim and Thummim.
(b) Urim and Omen.
(c) Omen and Gypsy.
(d) Gypsy and Thummim.
7. How long has the main character been doing his job in Part 1?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 years.
8. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
9. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(b) People will get sick.
(c) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(d) He will have to expand his business.
10. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
(a) Two camels.
(b) A ticket on the boat.
(c) Two stones.
(d) Two crystals.
11. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
(a) About twelve months.
(b) About one month.
(c) About three months.
(d) About six months.
12. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
(a) Goes back to his flock.
(b) Runs errands.
(c) Goes to find the merchant's daughter.
(d) Talks to the king.
13. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Hundreds of people and animals.
(b) Dozens of people and animals.
(c) Hundreds of people only.
(d) Thousands of people and animals.
14. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The old man.
(b) His sheep.
(c) The wind.
(d) The gypsy.
15. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) More than two years.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) More than a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
2. What does the king describe as the only real obligation in life?
3. What is Santiago's second suggestion to improve the crystal merchant's business?
4. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
5. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)