|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) People will get sick.
(c) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(d) He will have to expand his business.
2. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He needs their fleece.
(b) He promised his father.
(c) He loves them.
(d) They depend on him.
3. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
4. What fields does Santiago travel with his flock of animals?
(b) His father's.
(c) The Seminary's.
(d) The gypsy's.
5. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
(b) Looks for the old man.
(c) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(d) Searches for the other boy.
6. What happens to Santiago's money in Part 2?
(a) He buys two camels with it.
(b) He gives it to the boy.
(c) He gives it to the crystal maker.
(d) He gives it to the old man.
7. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
(a) A gypsy's caravan.
(b) The merchant's store.
(c) An abandoned church.
(d) The church where he learned the seminary skills.
8. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
(c) His parents.
9. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(b) Go to Egypt.
(c) Go home and work for his father.
(d) Start his own crystal shop.
10. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) The merchant's daughter.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
11. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
(a) The king.
(b) The alchemist.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) His father.
12. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
13. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
(a) Washing windows.
(b) Making crystals.
(c) Cleaning the crystal.
(d) Running errands.
14. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
15. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
(a) A ticket to Egypt.
(b) A herd of sheep.
(c) A place to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
2. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
3. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
4. Where did Santiago's mother and father send him?
5. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)