|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
(c) Egyptian pyramids.
2. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
3. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
4. Why does Santiago feel he must stay with his flock of animals at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) He promised his father.
(b) They depend on him.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He needs their fleece.
5. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 300 years old.
(b) 200 years old.
(c) 90 years old.
(d) 100 years old.
6. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) The same amount.
(b) Half of the amount.
(c) Twice the amount.
(d) Three times the amount.
7. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Hundreds of people only.
(b) Hundreds of people and animals.
(c) Thousands of people and animals.
(d) Dozens of people and animals.
8. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
(a) He will always stay a shepherd.
(b) With the merchant's daughter.
(c) Back home.
(d) The Egyptian pyramids.
9. Where is the caravan traveling in Part 3?
(a) Across Spain.
(b) Across the sea.
(c) Across the Sahara.
(d) Across Africa.
10. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One half of his treasure.
(b) One tenth of his flock.
(c) One tenth of his treasure.
(d) One half of his flock.
11. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(b) He will have to expand his business.
(c) People will get sick.
(d) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
12. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
(a) Runs errands.
(b) Goes back to his flock.
(c) Goes to find the merchant's daughter.
(d) Talks to the king.
13. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The king.
(b) The alchemist.
(c) Santiago's father.
(d) The gypsy.
14. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
(a) The old man did not give him money.
(b) The old man didn't give him any useful information.
(c) The old man was right.
(d) The old man was wrong.
15. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
(a) His book.
(b) The beautiful girl.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The two stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
2. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
3. What does Santiago say he will use the money he earns working for a merchant for?
4. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
5. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)