|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An object called a directional ______ transmits the pulses of the wind or what the author terms film.
2. Unnamed men connected by a wire and covered with a _______ are dipped in a room containing unrelated waters.
3. When the process of capturing the wind of a storm is complete, the storm will leave the sky in favor of the _________.
4. Today, people tend to swim in large groups as they await open ________, according to this section of the story.
5. Warmer portions of the ________ rise through its cooler parts, to be replaced by cooler parts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two of the things that can happen in the place where people live in all sorts of shelters?
2. How is 'arm' described in Biology?
3. How is the experience of swimming described?
4. What should a person do with the wind of a storm, according to quotes from the mother's book?
5. What happens to the skin when a wind gun is used?
6. What happens when the wind grows strong and reverses after the society moves underground?
7. What is the object of the hiding-ball game, according to the writing in the story?
8. What happens to the unnamed men who are connected to the wire, according to this section of the book?
9. What happens to make a dog feel less hungry, according to the story's description?
10. What are the three things that the author points out as having affected the horse populations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The violence the author includes seems to be used to shock the reader, rather than to add to the book's strength.
Part 1: Is there ever a place for violence in a book? What purpose can it serve?
Part 2: How do you feel about the section on a family witnessing an intruder coming into the home and then killing themselves?
Part 3: Do you think that the author has a personal experience with an intruder committing suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Marcus uses names in the book, but does not give them traditional definitions. For example, Jennifer is the partial inability to see hands.
Part 1: What is the purpose of assigning new definitions to words in the book?
Part 2: Do you think Marcus is trying to be confusing to the reader?
Part 3: How do the new definitions expand the meaning of words for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The Living are described as people who seem to put their hands in something unseen and too heavy to lift.
Part 1: What do you think Marcus means when he talks about the living?
Part 2: Do you think that you are a part of the Living? Why or why not?
Part 3: Who do you think should not be a part of the Living? Why?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)