Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 2
What do you know about the author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? What are his influences in writing Sherlock Holmes?
Essay Topic 3
While it is true that many of these stories involve long monologues of characters recounting the details of past events, there is often taut and sprightly dialogue between Holmes and Watson. Using examples from the text, analyze Doyle's use of dialogue.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)