|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
2. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
5. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is "The Adventures of the Speckled Band" more of a favorite than "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
2. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
3. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
5. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
6. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
7. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
8. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
9. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
10. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Holmes is brilliant or just lucky? Defend your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character analysis of Holmes. Include the following: physical description, character traits, family/friends, profession, cases.
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Use examples from the short stories to support your points.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)