|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
4. What happens to Mr. Rucastle's daughter?
5. What time of year is it at the beginning of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
2. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
4. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
6. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
7. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
8. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
9. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
10. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the genre of the novel. What qualities make it fit that description? Use examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)