|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
2. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
3. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
4. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
2. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
3. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
4. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
5. What turn of events does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" end with?
6. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
7. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
8. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
9. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
10. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the genre of the novel. What qualities make it fit that description? Use examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony found in "The Man with the Twisted Lip."
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)