|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
2. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who dies of strange circumstances?
3. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
2. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
3. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
4. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
5. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
6. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
7. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
8. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
9. What turn of events does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" end with?
10. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," Inspector Lestrade shows Holmes a piece of evidence. What part of the note is most interesting to Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Use examples from the short stories to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
In more than one story, Holmes decides the fate of criminals, taking justice into his own hands. Analyze this aspect of Holmes character. Is it appropriate for Holmes to override the justice system? What are the qualities of the criminals Holmes most frequently lets go?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)