|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
2. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
3. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
2. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
4. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
6. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
7. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
8. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
9. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
10. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 2
Holmes uses the process of deduction in solving his cases. Contrast this with more traditional detective work using inductive reasoning. What are the similarities and differences between these two types of reasoning?
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)