|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
2. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
3. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what body part of the main character was cut off?
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
In more than one story, Holmes decides the fate of criminals, taking justice into his own hands. Analyze this aspect of Holmes character. Is it appropriate for Holmes to override the justice system? What are the qualities of the criminals Holmes most frequently lets go?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," Holmes and Watson often travel in the underbelly of London. Additionally, Holmes is somewhat addicted to morphine and cocaine. The story has Holmes and Watson going deep into the underground world of opium dens and beggars. In an essay, analyze the theme of social realism, as attempted by Doyle.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)