|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
3. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what job does Miss Violet Hunter ask Holmes opinion on?
4. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
5. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
2. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
3. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
4. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
5. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how does Holder end up with the Beryl Coronet?
6. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
7. Why is "The Adventures of the Speckled Band" more of a favorite than "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
8. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
10. What turn of events does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" end with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
Essay Topic 2
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Holmes is brilliant or just lucky? Defend your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)