|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
3. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what job does Miss Violet Hunter ask Holmes opinion on?
5. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
2. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
3. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
5. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
6. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
7. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
8. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
10. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of a Sherlock Holmes mystery? Use examples from the short stories to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
While it is true that many of these stories involve long monologues of characters recounting the details of past events, there is often taut and sprightly dialogue between Holmes and Watson. Using examples from the text, analyze Doyle's use of dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)