|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
2. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
3. Who took the beryl coronet?
4. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
5. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
2. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
3. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Colonel Lysander ask Victor to do in the country?
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
5. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
6. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
7. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
8. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
9. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
10. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While it is true that many of these stories involve long monologues of characters recounting the details of past events, there is often taut and sprightly dialogue between Holmes and Watson. Using examples from the text, analyze Doyle's use of dialogue.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the genre of the novel. What qualities make it fit that description? Use examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)