|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
4. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
5. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
3. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
4. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
6. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
7. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
8. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
10. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sets his mysteries of Sherlock Holmes mainly in London in the late 19th century, commonly known as the Victorian Era. Describe the setting of the mysteries and analyze effect setting has on the plot.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)