|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
2. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
4. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
5. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 2
What do you know about the author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? What are his influences in writing Sherlock Holmes?
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the short stories in this collection. Analyze the story's plot structure. Does it follow a traditional plot diagram?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)