|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
2. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
3. Who took the beryl coronet?
4. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
5. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" and "The Five Orange Pips," focusing on Holmes's bringing criminals to justice.
Essay Topic 2
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is different from many current writers of detective fiction and also from many of his contemporaries in that his work typically doesn't have any extreme plot twists. For which stories is this not true? In these stories, describe the plot twists that occur.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character analysis of Watson. What is Watson's role in the novel? Who do you think is smarter - Watson or Holmes? Why do you think Watson is Holmes friend? What would Holmes be without Watson? How would you describe the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)