Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the genre of the novel. What qualities make it fit that description? Use examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony found in "The Man with the Twisted Lip."
Essay Topic 3
Holmes uses the process of deduction in solving his cases. Contrast this with more traditional detective work using inductive reasoning. What are the similarities and differences between these two types of reasoning?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)