Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
Essay Topic 1
Holmes uses the process of deduction in solving his cases. Contrast this with more traditional detective work using inductive reasoning. What are the similarities and differences between these two types of reasoning?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," Holmes and Watson often travel in the underbelly of London. Additionally, Holmes is somewhat addicted to morphine and cocaine. The story has Holmes and Watson going deep into the underground world of opium dens and beggars. In an essay, analyze the theme of social realism, as attempted by Doyle.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the point of view from which the Sherlock Holmes stories are told.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)