|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about the author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? What are his influences in writing Sherlock Holmes?
Essay Topic 2
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," Holmes and Watson often travel in the underbelly of London. Additionally, Holmes is somewhat addicted to morphine and cocaine. The story has Holmes and Watson going deep into the underground world of opium dens and beggars. In an essay, analyze the theme of social realism, as attempted by Doyle.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)