|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
2. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which short story is your favorite? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Doyle's writing style, particularly his use of monologue to describe action sequences. How effective is telling about an action sequence rather than describing it as it happens?
Essay Topic 3
While it is true that many of these stories involve long monologues of characters recounting the details of past events, there is often taut and sprightly dialogue between Holmes and Watson. Using examples from the text, analyze Doyle's use of dialogue.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)