|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
2. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
(a) A hatchet.
(b) A cleaver.
(c) A knife.
(d) A sword.
3. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
4. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is bored with the country.
(b) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
(c) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(d) He misses his family back home in England.
5. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) On the roof.
(b) To a nearby inn.
(c) Downstairs in the basement.
(d) To a friends house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other Doyle story is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to?
2. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
3. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who does Holmes eat dinner with?
5. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
2. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
3. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
4. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
5. Why is "The Adventures of the Speckled Band" more of a favorite than "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
6. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
7. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
8. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
9. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," Inspector Lestrade shows Holmes a piece of evidence. What part of the note is most interesting to Holmes?
10. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)