|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where does Hunter ask Holmes to meet her?
2. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She wonders what he is doing there.
(b) She asks him for help.
(c) She welcomes him into her home.
(d) She implores him to leave immediately.
3. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To leave the house.
(b) To begin reading in the study.
(c) To get drunk.
(d) To turn on the radio.
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what job does Miss Violet Hunter ask Holmes opinion on?
(a) A governess at a country home.
(b) A teacher in a small school.
(c) A nurse at the local clinic.
(d) A bartender at a local pub.
5. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(b) He is scared he will never see her again.
(c) He doesn't believe in marriage.
(d) He will lose a large sum of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Rucastle's daughter?
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what animal is kept for security?
4. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
5. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
2. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Colonel Lysander ask Victor to do in the country?
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
5. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why does Helen go to see Holmes?
6. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," Inspector Lestrade shows Holmes a piece of evidence. What part of the note is most interesting to Holmes?
7. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
8. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how does Holder end up with the Beryl Coronet?
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
10. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)