|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To show it off to his family.
(b) To keep it safe.
(c) To sell it.
(d) To steal it.
2. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
(a) On their wedding day.
(b) Two days after their wedding.
(c) The night before their wedding.
(d) The day after their wedding.
3. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
(a) A mysterious man in a mask.
(b) It was left on his front step.
(d) A policeman.
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how much does Holmes ask for the return of the jewels?
(a) 4000 pounds.
(b) 2500 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 50 schillings.
5. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Tells him to get out of town.
(b) Turns him over to the police.
(c) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
(d) Lets him go free.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
2. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
3. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
4. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
2. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
3. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes deduce the machine is used for?
5. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
6. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
7. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
8. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
9. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
10. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)