|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To show it off to his family.
(b) To steal it.
(c) To sell it.
(d) To keep it safe.
2. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Animal noises.
(b) Scraping on the wall.
(c) A scream and a siren.
(d) A whistling and a metal clamp.
3. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A lover.
(b) A known criminal.
(c) A gambler.
(d) Her father.
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Lead groundskeeper.
(b) Head servant.
(c) Master of the house.
(d) Keeper of the zoo.
5. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
4. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who dies of strange circumstances?
5. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," why does Holder believe his son stole the coronet?
3. How is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to "The Adventures of the Speckled Band?"
4. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," before agreeing to work, what does Victor ask Stark?
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
6. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how does Holder end up with the Beryl Coronet?
7. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," Inspector Lestrade shows Holmes a piece of evidence. What part of the note is most interesting to Holmes?
8. What turn of events does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" end with?
9. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
10. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)