|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She ends up in jail.
(b) She is freed from jail.
(c) She returns home with Holder.
(d) She flees with Burnwell.
2. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Miss Irene Adler.
(b) Miss Victoria Bentley.
(c) Miss Sutherland.
(d) Miss Helen Stoner.
3. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(b) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(c) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(d) He loves her to much to have her move away.
4. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
(a) Makes a bribe.
(b) Makes a bet.
(c) Asks the owner.
(d) Threatens with his fists.
5. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She wonders what he is doing there.
(b) She asks him for help.
(c) She implores him to leave immediately.
(d) She welcomes him into her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
3. How does Holmes make contact with the owner of the goose and hat?
4. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
2. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
3. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
4. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who is the man who accompanies Miss Doran to Holmes' apartment?
6. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
7. What is Ryder's role in the theft of the blue carbuncle?
8. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
9. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
10. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)