|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
(a) They meet in the buffet line.
(b) He telephones her before the wedding.
(c) Through a note in her bouquet.
(d) An acquaintance passes her a note.
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
(b) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
(c) Holder taking the coronet.
(d) Burnwell taking the coronet.
3. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A speckled band.
(b) An enormous spider.
(c) A rogue bat.
(d) A lost necklace.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He is an old family friend.
(b) He needs a doctor.
(c) He is lost and asks for directions.
(d) He needs a place to hide.
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He is held hostage.
(b) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
(c) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
(d) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
2. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
4. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," how does Victor escape after Stark tries to kill him?
2. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
3. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how does Holder end up with the Beryl Coronet?
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
6. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
7. What is Holder's niece's involvement with the stolen coronet?
8. In "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Colonel Lysander ask Victor to do in the country?
9. What characteristics of a Holmes mystery does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" contain?
10. Why is "The Adventures of the Speckled Band" more of a favorite than "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)