|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
(a) January of 1895.
(b) June of 1878.
(c) October of 1901.
(d) April of 1883.
2. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Father and daughter.
(d) Former coworkers.
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
(a) He leaves her for another woman.
(b) He takes a promotion and moves out of the country.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He refuses to marry her.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(b) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
(c) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(d) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
5. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To turn on the radio.
(b) To get drunk.
(c) To begin reading in the study.
(d) To leave the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
2. How does Holmes know the owner of the hat's wife no longer loves him in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
3. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
4. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
5. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What turn of events does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" end with?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", what happens to the couple after their marriage ceremony?
3. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what happens to Julia?
4. What does Holmes tell Hunter to do in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches?"
5. What happens to Lord St. Simon on his wedding day in "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?"
6. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat.
7. Describe the plot twist in "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
8. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of the story?
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," as the policeman tries to stop a gang beating up a man, what two items does the victim drop before running off?
10. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle hire Miss Violet Hunter?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)