|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Burnwell taking the coronet.
(b) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
(c) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
(d) Holder taking the coronet.
2. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Animal noises.
(b) Scraping on the wall.
(c) A scream and a siren.
(d) A whistling and a metal clamp.
3. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
(b) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(c) He is bored with the country.
(d) He misses his family back home in England.
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Keeper of the zoo.
(b) Lead groundskeeper.
(c) Master of the house.
(d) Head servant.
5. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
(b) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
(c) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(d) It is an unusual job for a woman.
6. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
(a) Makes a bet.
(b) Asks the owner.
(c) Threatens with his fists.
(d) Makes a bribe.
7. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He will lose a large sum of money.
(b) He is scared he will never see her again.
(c) He doesn't believe in marriage.
(d) He dissaproves of her fiance.
8. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
(a) Colonel Lysander Stark.
(b) Victor Hatherly.
(c) Inspector Bradstreet.
(d) Miss Helen Stoner.
9. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) It is used for torture.
(c) It is used for counterfeiting.
(d) It is used as a printing press.
10. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
(a) In a room of an apartment of a wealthy family.
(b) In the back of a pastry shop.
(c) In the garage of one of Holmes' neighbors.
(d) In the countryhouse of an old aristocratic family.
11. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what body part of the main character was cut off?
12. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
(a) A lamp.
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A hydraulic press.
(d) A horse carriage.
13. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He is an old family friend.
(b) He is lost and asks for directions.
(c) He needs a doctor.
(d) He needs a place to hide.
14. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
15. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what animal is kept for security?
(a) A large mastiff.
(b) A small lion.
(c) A talking parakeet.
(d) A trained snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes make contact with the owner of the goose and hat?
2. What happens to Holder's niece?
3. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how much does Holmes ask for the return of the jewels?
5. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)