|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In a goose.
(b) In his sandwhich.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) In the piano in his house.
2. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She takes a job as a governess.
(b) She runs a school of her own.
(c) She has dinner with Holmes.
(d) She receives a promotion.
3. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what animal is kept for security?
(a) A talking parakeet.
(b) A trained snake.
(c) A small lion.
(d) A large mastiff.
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what other item was taken from the person with the hat?
(a) A wallet.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A goose.
(d) A picture.
6. How does Holmes make contact with the owner of the goose and hat?
(a) Holmes goes to a hat maker's shop.
(b) Holmes goes to a goose farm.
(c) Holmes puts an ad in the paper.
(d) Holmes puts a flier up on the streetcorner.
7. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To leave the house.
(b) To get drunk.
(c) To begin reading in the study.
(d) To turn on the radio.
8. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(b) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(c) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(d) He loves her to much to have her move away.
9. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To keep it safe.
(b) To show it off to his family.
(c) To steal it.
(d) To sell it.
10. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
(a) A set of royal jewels.
(b) A large country estate.
(c) A large dowry.
(d) An elevated social status.
11. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
(a) A tissue.
(b) Her bouquet.
(c) A white glove.
(d) Her necklace.
12. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
13. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
(a) The light.
(b) The bell cord.
(c) The lamp.
(d) The ceiling fan.
14. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) To a friends house.
(b) Downstairs in the basement.
(c) To a nearby inn.
(d) On the roof.
15. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) It is an unusual job for a woman.
(b) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
(c) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(d) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
2. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
3. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
4. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)