|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A known criminal.
(b) Her father.
(c) A lover.
(d) A gambler.
2. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A rogue bat.
(b) A speckled band.
(c) A lost necklace.
(d) An enormous spider.
3. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
(a) That he is poor.
(b) That he is cautious.
(c) That he is wealthy.
(d) That he has foresight.
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She flees with Burnwell.
(b) She ends up in jail.
(c) She is freed from jail.
(d) She returns home with Holder.
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(b) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(c) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(d) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
6. Who took the beryl coronet?
(a) Sir George Burnwell.
(b) No one, it was misplaced.
(c) Holder's niece.
(d) Holder's son.
7. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Burnwell taking the coronet.
(b) Holder taking the coronet.
(c) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
(d) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
8. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
(b) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
(c) He is held hostage.
(d) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
9. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
(a) The handwriting of the note.
(b) The date of the note.
(c) The hotel bill it is written on.
(d) Who the note is from.
10. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Its unusual color.
(b) Where it was found.
(c) Its size.
(d) Its historical value to England.
11. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where does Hunter ask Holmes to meet her?
12. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He loves her to much to have her move away.
(b) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(c) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(d) He needs her help to raise the other children.
13. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He will lose a large sum of money.
(b) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(c) He is scared he will never see her again.
(d) He doesn't believe in marriage.
14. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
15. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) 50 guineas.
(b) 30 schillings.
(c) 100 guineas.
(d) 25 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
2. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
3. Which other Doyle story is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to?
4. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
5. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)