Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
(b) He is held hostage.
(c) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
(d) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
2. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) He is poisoned.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He is attacked by a snake.
(d) He is killed by his stepdaughter.
3. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
(a) He refuses to marry her.
(b) He leaves her for another woman.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He takes a promotion and moves out of the country.
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
(a) A large dowry.
(b) An elevated social status.
(c) A large country estate.
(d) A set of royal jewels.
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
(a) A hat and cane.
(b) A dress and shoes.
(c) A camera and pen.
(d) A ring and corset.
6. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
(a) In the garage of one of Holmes' neighbors.
(b) In the countryhouse of an old aristocratic family.
(c) In the back of a pastry shop.
(d) In a room of an apartment of a wealthy family.
7. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
(a) The bell cord.
(b) The light.
(c) The lamp.
(d) The ceiling fan.
8. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what job does Miss Violet Hunter ask Holmes opinion on?
(a) A governess at a country home.
(b) A bartender at a local pub.
(c) A teacher in a small school.
(d) A nurse at the local clinic.
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what other item was taken from the person with the hat?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A picture.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A goose.
10. What time of year is it at the beginning of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(b) St. Patrick's Day.
11. How does Holmes know the owner of the hat's wife no longer loves him in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) The hat has not been pressed for days.
(b) The hat has tags on it.
(c) The hat has not been brushed for weeks.
(d) The hat smells of perfume.
12. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He will lose a large sum of money.
(b) He doesn't believe in marriage.
(c) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(d) He is scared he will never see her again.
13. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where is Hunter required to sit?
(a) With her back to a window.
(b) Outside on the front porch.
(c) Behind a desk.
(d) In a corner in the kitchen.
14. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She wonders what he is doing there.
(b) She implores him to leave immediately.
(c) She welcomes him into her home.
(d) She asks him for help.
15. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
(a) It is used for counterfeiting.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) It is used as a printing press.
(d) It is used for torture.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
4. What happens to Holder's niece?
5. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)