|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
(a) The encyclopedia.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The radio.
(d) The Daily Journal.
3. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To leave the house.
(b) To turn on the radio.
(c) To get drunk.
(d) To begin reading in the study.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
(a) Victor Hatherly.
(b) Colonel Lysander Stark.
(c) Miss Helen Stoner.
(d) Inspector Bradstreet.
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Lead groundskeeper.
(b) Master of the house.
(c) Keeper of the zoo.
(d) Head servant.
6. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A letter.
(d) A picture.
7. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He is held hostage.
(b) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
(c) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
(d) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
8. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) On the roof.
(b) To a friends house.
(c) Downstairs in the basement.
(d) To a nearby inn.
9. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She has dinner with Holmes.
(b) She runs a school of her own.
(c) She receives a promotion.
(d) She takes a job as a governess.
10. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) It is used for torture.
(c) It is used as a printing press.
(d) It is used for counterfeiting.
11. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(b) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(c) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(d) He loves her to much to have her move away.
12. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
13. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A bank president.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A local military officer.
14. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Turns him over to the police.
(b) Tells him to get out of town.
(c) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
(d) Lets him go free.
15. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Its historical value to England.
(b) Its unusual color.
(c) Where it was found.
(d) Its size.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
4. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
5. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)