|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To show it off to his family.
(b) To keep it safe.
(c) To sell it.
(d) To steal it.
2. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She has dinner with Holmes.
(b) She receives a promotion.
(c) She takes a job as a governess.
(d) She runs a school of her own.
3. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who dies of strange circumstances?
(a) The main character's mother.
(b) The main character's brother.
(c) The main character's twin sister.
(d) The main character's father.
4. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He needs a place to hide.
(b) He is an old family friend.
(c) He is lost and asks for directions.
(d) He needs a doctor.
6. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where is Hunter required to sit?
(a) Outside on the front porch.
(b) Behind a desk.
(c) In a corner in the kitchen.
(d) With her back to a window.
7. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(b) It is an unusual job for a woman.
(c) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
(d) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
8. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To leave the house.
(b) To turn on the radio.
(c) To begin reading in the study.
(d) To get drunk.
9. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
(a) A white glove.
(b) A tissue.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) Her bouquet.
10. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
(a) He leaves her for another woman.
(b) He refuses to marry her.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He takes a promotion and moves out of the country.
11. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how much does Holmes ask for the return of the jewels?
(a) 2500 pounds.
(b) 4000 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 50 schillings.
12. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
13. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) A whistling and a metal clamp.
(b) Scraping on the wall.
(c) A scream and a siren.
(d) Animal noises.
14. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(b) He loves her to much to have her move away.
(c) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(d) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
15. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Tells him to get out of town.
(b) Turns him over to the police.
(c) Lets him go free.
(d) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
2. At the end of "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who does Holmes eat dinner with?
3. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
5. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)