|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Burnwell taking the coronet.
(b) Holder taking the coronet.
(c) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
(d) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
2. What happens to Holder's niece?
(a) She is murdered.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She is locked in her home.
(d) She runs away.
3. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
(a) Sir George Burnwell.
(b) His son.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) His niece.
4. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
(a) Who the note is from.
(b) The date of the note.
(c) The hotel bill it is written on.
(d) The handwriting of the note.
5. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Turns him over to the police.
(b) Tells him to get out of town.
(c) Lets him go free.
(d) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
6. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who dies of strange circumstances?
(a) The main character's father.
(b) The main character's twin sister.
(c) The main character's brother.
(d) The main character's mother.
7. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To sell it.
(b) To keep it safe.
(c) To steal it.
(d) To show it off to his family.
8. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
(a) A horse carriage.
(b) A lamp.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A hydraulic press.
9. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(b) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
(c) He is bored with the country.
(d) He misses his family back home in England.
10. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She returns home with Holder.
(b) She is freed from jail.
(c) She flees with Burnwell.
(d) She ends up in jail.
11. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
(a) A stolen check.
(b) The stolen crown jewels.
(c) The stolen hope diamond.
(d) The stolen blue carbuncle.
12. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
(a) A mysterious man in a mask.
(b) It was left on his front step.
(c) A policeman.
13. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
(a) On their wedding day.
(b) Two days after their wedding.
(c) The night before their wedding.
(d) The day after their wedding.
14. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
(a) He refuses to marry her.
(b) He takes a promotion and moves out of the country.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He leaves her for another woman.
15. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what animal is kept for security?
(a) A large mastiff.
(b) A trained snake.
(c) A talking parakeet.
(d) A small lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
2. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
3. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
4. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
5. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)