|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In a goose.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) In the piano in his house.
(d) In his sandwhich.
2. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A letter.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A picture.
3. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) A whistling and a metal clamp.
(b) Scraping on the wall.
(c) A scream and a siren.
(d) Animal noises.
4. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(b) He misses his family back home in England.
(c) He is bored with the country.
(d) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what other item was taken from the person with the hat?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A goose.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A picture.
6. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what body part of the main character was cut off?
7. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She returns home with Holder.
(b) She ends up in jail.
(c) She flees with Burnwell.
(d) She is freed from jail.
8. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
(a) The light.
(b) The lamp.
(c) The ceiling fan.
(d) The bell cord.
9. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To begin reading in the study.
(b) To turn on the radio.
(c) To get drunk.
(d) To leave the house.
10. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Holder taking the coronet.
(b) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
(c) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
(d) Burnwell taking the coronet.
11. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what animal is kept for security?
(a) A large mastiff.
(b) A talking parakeet.
(c) A small lion.
(d) A trained snake.
12. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To sell it.
(b) To show it off to his family.
(c) To keep it safe.
(d) To steal it.
13. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A speckled band.
(b) A rogue bat.
(c) An enormous spider.
(d) A lost necklace.
14. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
(b) Tells him to get out of town.
(c) Lets him go free.
(d) Turns him over to the police.
15. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She receives a promotion.
(b) She takes a job as a governess.
(c) She runs a school of her own.
(d) She has dinner with Holmes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
2. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
5. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)