|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) In a goose.
(c) In his sandwhich.
(d) In the piano in his house.
2. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
(a) Inspector Bradstreet.
(b) Colonel Lysander Stark.
(c) Miss Helen Stoner.
(d) Victor Hatherly.
3. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(b) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
(c) It is an unusual job for a woman.
(d) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She is freed from jail.
(b) She ends up in jail.
(c) She returns home with Holder.
(d) She flees with Burnwell.
5. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(b) He is scared he will never see her again.
(c) He doesn't believe in marriage.
(d) He will lose a large sum of money.
6. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
(a) A ring and corset.
(b) A camera and pen.
(c) A hat and cane.
(d) A dress and shoes.
7. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
(a) A mysterious man in a mask.
(b) It was left on his front step.
(d) A policeman.
8. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(b) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(c) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(d) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
9. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
(a) He telephones her before the wedding.
(b) Through a note in her bouquet.
(c) An acquaintance passes her a note.
(d) They meet in the buffet line.
10. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Miss Helen Stoner.
(b) Miss Irene Adler.
(c) Miss Sutherland.
(d) Miss Victoria Bentley.
11. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A local military officer.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A bank president.
(d) A doctor.
12. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A lover.
(b) Her father.
(c) A known criminal.
(d) A gambler.
13. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
14. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) A horse carriage.
(c) A hydraulic press.
(d) A lamp.
15. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(b) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(c) He loves her to much to have her move away.
(d) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
2. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
3. What happens to Mr. Rucastle's daughter?
4. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
5. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," how much does Holmes ask for the return of the jewels?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)