|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the size?
(a) That he is stupid.
(b) That he is intelligent.
(c) That he is old.
(d) That he is fat.
2. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A speckled band.
(b) A rogue bat.
(c) An enormous spider.
(d) A lost necklace.
3. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes find intriguing about the note?
(a) The handwriting of the note.
(b) The date of the note.
(c) Who the note is from.
(d) The hotel bill it is written on.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He is an old family friend.
(b) He needs a doctor.
(c) He needs a place to hide.
(d) He is lost and asks for directions.
5. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) 100 guineas.
(b) 25 pounds.
(c) 50 guineas.
(d) 30 schillings.
6. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Its historical value to England.
(b) Its unusual color.
(c) Where it was found.
(d) Its size.
7. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
(a) The animal being set free.
(b) Mr. Rucastle stealing from the kitchen.
(c) Holmes sneaking up on Mr. Rucastle.
(d) A man watching her.
8. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Former coworkers.
(d) Father and daughter.
9. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where is Hunter required to sit?
(a) With her back to a window.
(b) Behind a desk.
(c) In a corner in the kitchen.
(d) Outside on the front porch.
10. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A bank president.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A local military officer.
11. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) Colonnel Lysander Stark.
(b) Miss Helen Stoner.
(c) Inspector Bradstreet.
(d) Victor Hatherly.
12. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
(a) That he is cautious.
(b) That he is poor.
(c) That he is wealthy.
(d) That he has foresight.
13. How does Holmes know the owner of the hat's wife no longer loves him in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) The hat smells of perfume.
(b) The hat has not been pressed for days.
(c) The hat has not been brushed for weeks.
(d) The hat has tags on it.
14. What happens to Holder's niece?
(a) She is murdered.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She is locked in her home.
15. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
(a) A hat and cane.
(b) A dress and shoes.
(c) A camera and pen.
(d) A ring and corset.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
2. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
3. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
4. What does Lord St. Simon stand to gain from his marriage to Hatty Doran?
5. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)