|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A local military officer.
(c) A bank president.
(d) A doctor.
2. How does Holmes make contact with the owner of the goose and hat?
(a) Holmes goes to a goose farm.
(b) Holmes goes to a hat maker's shop.
(c) Holmes puts a flier up on the streetcorner.
(d) Holmes puts an ad in the paper.
3. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the size?
(a) That he is old.
(b) That he is fat.
(c) That he is stupid.
(d) That he is intelligent.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He needs a doctor.
(b) He is an old family friend.
(c) He needs a place to hide.
(d) He is lost and asks for directions.
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Keeper of the zoo.
(b) Lead groundskeeper.
(c) Master of the house.
(d) Head servant.
6. Who took the beryl coronet?
(a) No one, it was misplaced.
(b) Sir George Burnwell.
(c) Holder's niece.
(d) Holder's son.
7. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She takes a job as a governess.
(b) She has dinner with Holmes.
(c) She runs a school of her own.
(d) She receives a promotion.
8. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) Turns him over to the police.
(b) Asks for a cut of the stolen goods.
(c) Tells him to get out of town.
(d) Lets him go free.
9. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
(a) In the countryhouse of an old aristocratic family.
(b) In the garage of one of Holmes' neighbors.
(c) In the back of a pastry shop.
(d) In a room of an apartment of a wealthy family.
10. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To sell it.
(b) To keep it safe.
(c) To steal it.
(d) To show it off to his family.
11. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
(b) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(c) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(d) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
12. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
(a) Her bouquet.
(b) A tissue.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) A white glove.
13. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Father and daughter.
(d) Former coworkers.
14. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) 30 schillings.
(b) 100 guineas.
(c) 50 guineas.
(d) 25 pounds.
15. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
(a) October of 1901.
(b) April of 1883.
(c) January of 1895.
(d) June of 1878.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
3. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where is Hunter required to sit?
4. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
5. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)