|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
(a) Her necklace.
(b) A tissue.
(c) Her bouquet.
(d) A white glove.
2. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
(a) A cleaver.
(b) A knife.
(c) A hatchet.
(d) A sword.
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
(a) Miss Helen Stoner.
(b) Inspector Bradstreet.
(c) Victor Hatherly.
(d) Colonel Lysander Stark.
4. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is bored with the country.
(b) He misses his family back home in England.
(c) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(d) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
5. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
(a) The day after their wedding.
(b) On their wedding day.
(c) The night before their wedding.
(d) Two days after their wedding.
6. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
(a) Through a note in her bouquet.
(b) He telephones her before the wedding.
(c) An acquaintance passes her a note.
(d) They meet in the buffet line.
7. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
(a) Holder's niece taking the coronet.
(b) Nothing, he doesn't know what happened to the coronet.
(c) Burnwell taking the coronet.
(d) Holder taking the coronet.
8. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
(a) It was left on his front step.
(b) A mysterious man in a mask.
(c) A policeman.
9. At the end of "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who does Holmes eat dinner with?
(a) Moulton and Doran.
(b) Inspector Lestrade.
(d) St. Simon.
10. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) Downstairs in the basement.
(b) On the roof.
(c) To a nearby inn.
(d) To a friends house.
11. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Head servant.
(b) Lead groundskeeper.
(c) Keeper of the zoo.
(d) Master of the house.
12. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Former coworkers.
13. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To turn on the radio.
(b) To leave the house.
(c) To begin reading in the study.
(d) To get drunk.
14. Which other Doyle story is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to?
(a) "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb."
(b) "The Adventures of the Speckled Band."
(c) "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet."
(d) "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor."
15. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She welcomes him into her home.
(b) She implores him to leave immediately.
(c) She asks him for help.
(d) She wonders what he is doing there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
2. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
3. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
4. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)