|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In the piano in his house.
(b) In a goose.
(c) In his sandwhich.
(d) In his pocket.
2. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A lost necklace.
(b) A speckled band.
(c) An enormous spider.
(d) A rogue bat.
3. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A local military officer.
(b) A bank president.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A police officer.
4. Who was the object found in the stomach of a goose stolen from?
(a) Ms. Irene Adler.
(b) Catherine Cusak.
(c) The Countess of Morcar.
(d) Miss Sutherland.
5. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(b) He loves her to much to have her move away.
(c) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(d) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
6. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To get drunk.
(b) To begin reading in the study.
(c) To leave the house.
(d) To turn on the radio.
7. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what body part of the main character was cut off?
8. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
(a) The encyclopedia.
(b) The Daily Journal.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The radio.
9. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She takes a job as a governess.
(b) She receives a promotion.
(c) She runs a school of her own.
(d) She has dinner with Holmes.
10. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what weapon is used to cut off an appendage of the engineer's?
(a) A hatchet.
(b) A cleaver.
(c) A sword.
(d) A knife.
11. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He is scared he will never see her again.
(b) He will lose a large sum of money.
(c) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(d) He doesn't believe in marriage.
12. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
13. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
(a) A dress and shoes.
(b) A camera and pen.
(c) A ring and corset.
(d) A hat and cane.
14. How does Holmes know the owner of the hat's wife no longer loves him in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(a) The hat has not been brushed for weeks.
(b) The hat smells of perfume.
(c) The hat has not been pressed for days.
(d) The hat has tags on it.
15. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
(a) His niece.
(b) His son.
(c) Sir George Burnwell.
(d) He doesn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
2. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
3. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)