|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(b) He misses his family back home in England.
(c) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
(d) He is bored with the country.
2. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," why does Mr. Rucastle not want his daughter to get married?
(a) He needs her help to raise the other children.
(b) He is overprotective of her and wants her to stay.
(c) He stands to lose a considerable sum of money.
(d) He loves her to much to have her move away.
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," who does Holmes eat dinner with?
(b) Inspector Lestrade.
(c) St. Simon.
(d) Moulton and Doran.
4. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where is Hunter required to sit?
(a) In a corner in the kitchen.
(b) Outside on the front porch.
(c) With her back to a window.
(d) Behind a desk.
5. Who was the object found in the stomach of a goose stolen from?
(a) Catherine Cusak.
(b) Ms. Irene Adler.
(c) Miss Sutherland.
(d) The Countess of Morcar.
6. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) To a friends house.
(b) Downstairs in the basement.
(c) On the roof.
(d) To a nearby inn.
7. What time of year is it at the beginning of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
(d) St. Patrick's Day.
8. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The Daily Journal.
(c) The encyclopedia.
(d) The radio.
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
(a) That he is poor.
(b) That he is wealthy.
(c) That he has foresight.
(d) That he is cautious.
10. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
(a) A man watching her.
(b) Mr. Rucastle stealing from the kitchen.
(c) The animal being set free.
(d) Holmes sneaking up on Mr. Rucastle.
11. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A lover.
(b) Her father.
(c) A gambler.
(d) A known criminal.
12. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
(b) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(c) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(d) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
13. Who took the beryl coronet?
(a) Sir George Burnwell.
(b) Holder's niece.
(c) No one, it was misplaced.
(d) Holder's son.
14. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(a) Former coworkers.
(b) Father and daughter.
(c) Brother and sister.
15. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Where it was found.
(b) Its size.
(c) Its historical value to England.
(d) Its unusual color.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
2. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
3. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what is Alexander Holder's profession?
4. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what did the bride drop while walking down the aisle?
5. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)