|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the stepfather die in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) He is killed by his stepdaughter.
(b) He is attacked by a snake.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He is poisoned.
2. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
3. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She flees with Burnwell.
(b) She returns home with Holder.
(c) She is freed from jail.
(d) She ends up in jail.
4. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She welcomes him into her home.
(b) She asks him for help.
(c) She implores him to leave immediately.
(d) She wonders what he is doing there.
5. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In his sandwhich.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) In the piano in his house.
(d) In a goose.
6. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what body part of the main character was cut off?
7. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Scraping on the wall.
(b) Animal noises.
(c) A whistling and a metal clamp.
(d) A scream and a siren.
8. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(b) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
(c) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
(d) It is an unusual job for a woman.
9. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
(a) A mysterious man in a mask.
(b) A policeman.
(d) It was left on his front step.
10. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) An enormous spider.
(b) A rogue bat.
(c) A speckled band.
(d) A lost necklace.
11. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the size?
(a) That he is fat.
(b) That he is intelligent.
(c) That he is old.
(d) That he is stupid.
12. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Its historical value to England.
(b) Its size.
(c) Its unusual color.
(d) Where it was found.
13. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To keep it safe.
(b) To sell it.
(c) To show it off to his family.
(d) To steal it.
14. Why does the character in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" return from India?
(a) He is bored with the country.
(b) He is forced to after beating his butler to death.
(c) He is forced to after not paying off a gambling debt.
(d) He misses his family back home in England.
15. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
(a) His son.
(b) His niece.
(c) Sir George Burnwell.
(d) He doesn't know.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
2. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
3. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
4. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
5. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)