|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
(a) Mr. Rucastle stealing from the kitchen.
(b) Holmes sneaking up on Mr. Rucastle.
(c) A man watching her.
(d) The animal being set free.
2. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
(a) On their wedding day.
(b) The day after their wedding.
(c) The night before their wedding.
(d) Two days after their wedding.
3. What happens to Holder's niece?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She is locked in her home.
(d) She is murdered.
4. What does Helen hear that makes her nervous in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Scraping on the wall.
(b) A scream and a siren.
(c) A whistling and a metal clamp.
(d) Animal noises.
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(b) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
(c) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(d) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
6. What is the Beryl Coronet known for?
(a) Its historical value to England.
(b) Its size.
(c) Its unusual color.
(d) Where it was found.
7. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes consult to find information about Lord St. Simon's case?
(a) The radio.
(b) The encyclopedia.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Daily Journal.
8. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Keeper of the zoo.
(b) Master of the house.
(c) Head servant.
(d) Lead groundskeeper.
9. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He needs a place to hide.
(b) He is an old family friend.
(c) He is lost and asks for directions.
(d) He needs a doctor.
10. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) Victor Hatherly.
(b) Inspector Bradstreet.
(c) Miss Helen Stoner.
(d) Colonnel Lysander Stark.
11. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where does Hunter ask Holmes to meet her?
12. What does Doran think happened to Moulton?
(a) He takes a promotion and moves out of the country.
(b) He leaves her for another woman.
(c) He refuses to marry her.
(d) He is killed.
13. What is unusual about the requirements for the job Miss Violet Hunter seeks?
(a) She wouldn't be paid very much.
(b) She would need to wear funny shoes and glasses.
(c) It is an unusual job for a woman.
(d) She would need to wear specific dresses and cut her hair.
14. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to Holder's son?
(a) He is sentenced to life in jail.
(b) He sells the beryl coronet and is a rich man.
(c) He is freed from jail.
(d) He gets away with only probation.
15. When Holmes and Watson arrive at the main character's home in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," where does she go?
(a) To a friends house.
(b) On the roof.
(c) Downstairs in the basement.
(d) To a nearby inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
2. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
3. Who was the object found in the stomach of a goose stolen from?
4. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
5. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)