|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
2. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) Colonnel Lysander Stark.
(b) Miss Helen Stoner.
(c) Inspector Bradstreet.
(d) Victor Hatherly.
3. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Inspector Lestrade find in the river?
(a) A camera and pen.
(b) A dress and shoes.
(c) A hat and cane.
(d) A ring and corset.
4. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She flees with Burnwell.
(b) She returns home with Holder.
(c) She ends up in jail.
(d) She is freed from jail.
5. How does Moulton contact Doran on her wedding day?
(a) An acquaintance passes her a note.
(b) They meet in the buffet line.
(c) He telephones her before the wedding.
(d) Through a note in her bouquet.
6. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
(a) In the garage of one of Holmes' neighbors.
(b) In the countryhouse of an old aristocratic family.
(c) In a room of an apartment of a wealthy family.
(d) In the back of a pastry shop.
7. What happens to Mr. Rucastle's daughter?
(a) She escapes with her lover.
(b) She is severely injured by the animal.
(c) She is killed escaping her home.
(d) She remains locked in her bedroom.
8. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
(a) It is used for counterfeiting.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) It is used for torture.
(d) It is used as a printing press.
9. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She wonders what he is doing there.
(b) She implores him to leave immediately.
(c) She welcomes him into her home.
(d) She asks him for help.
10. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what is the role of Mr. Rucastle?
(a) Master of the house.
(b) Head servant.
(c) Keeper of the zoo.
(d) Lead groundskeeper.
11. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A known criminal.
(b) A lover.
(c) A gambler.
(d) Her father.
12. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She has dinner with Holmes.
(b) She receives a promotion.
(c) She takes a job as a governess.
(d) She runs a school of her own.
13. How does Holmes make contact with the owner of the goose and hat?
(a) Holmes goes to a goose farm.
(b) Holmes puts a flier up on the streetcorner.
(c) Holmes puts an ad in the paper.
(d) Holmes goes to a hat maker's shop.
14. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
(a) October of 1901.
(b) June of 1878.
(c) April of 1883.
(d) January of 1895.
15. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band?"
(a) Miss Helen Stoner.
(b) Miss Victoria Bentley.
(c) Miss Sutherland.
(d) Miss Irene Adler.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
2. What happens to Holder's niece?
3. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
4. What time of year is it at the beginning of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
5. At the end of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," what does Holmes hit with his cane?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)