|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Holmes' client in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) Victor Hatherly.
(b) Inspector Bradstreet.
(c) Colonnel Lysander Stark.
(d) Miss Helen Stoner.
2. Where do Miss Doran and Mr. Francis Hay Moulton meet?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
(b) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
(c) He is held hostage.
(d) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
4. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
(a) Mr. Rucastle stealing from the kitchen.
(b) The animal being set free.
(c) A man watching her.
(d) Holmes sneaking up on Mr. Rucastle.
5. Who took the beryl coronet?
(a) Holder's niece.
(b) No one, it was misplaced.
(c) Holder's son.
(d) Sir George Burnwell.
6. Where does James Ryder hide the stolen object?
(a) In a goose.
(b) In his sandwhich.
(c) In the piano in his house.
(d) In his pocket.
7. When does "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" take place?
(a) October of 1901.
(b) June of 1878.
(c) April of 1883.
(d) January of 1895.
8. What is found in the stomach of a goose?
(a) A stolen check.
(b) The stolen blue carbuncle.
(c) The stolen hope diamond.
(d) The stolen crown jewels.
9. According to the Holder's niece, who did one of the servant girls meet with?
(a) A gambler.
(b) A known criminal.
(c) A lover.
(d) Her father.
10. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," why doesn't the stepfather want his stepdaughter to get married?
(a) He dissaproves of her fiance.
(b) He is scared he will never see her again.
(c) He will lose a large sum of money.
(d) He doesn't believe in marriage.
11. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A speckled band.
(b) A lost necklace.
(c) An enormous spider.
(d) A rogue bat.
12. How many people does Holder show the Coronet to?
13. According to Holmes' directions, what must Hunter wait for Mr. Toller to do?
(a) To get drunk.
(b) To begin reading in the study.
(c) To leave the house.
(d) To turn on the radio.
14. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," who is Julia engaged to?
(a) A local military officer.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A bank president.
15. Why does Holder take the Coronet home with him?
(a) To keep it safe.
(b) To steal it.
(c) To show it off to his family.
(d) To sell it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes do with the criminal at the end of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
2. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
4. Where does Holmes' client in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" live?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer try to fix?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)