|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took the beryl coronet?
(a) Holder's son.
(b) Holder's niece.
(c) Sir George Burnwell.
(d) No one, it was misplaced.
2. While sitting, what does Hunter notice?
(a) Holmes sneaking up on Mr. Rucastle.
(b) The animal being set free.
(c) A man watching her.
(d) Mr. Rucastle stealing from the kitchen.
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does Holmes conclude about the machine?
(a) It is used for counterfeiting.
(b) It is used for torture.
(c) It is used as a printing press.
(d) It is stolen.
4. What is the relationship between St. Simon and Flora Millar?
(a) Former coworkers.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Father and daughter.
5. What does Helen mutter about before dying?
(a) A rogue bat.
(b) A lost necklace.
(c) An enormous spider.
(d) A speckled band.
6. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," what does Holmes deduce about the owner of the hat based on the strap?
(a) That he has foresight.
(b) That he is wealthy.
(c) That he is cautious.
(d) That he is poor.
7. What happens to Mr. Rucastle's daughter?
(a) She escapes with her lover.
(b) She is killed escaping her home.
(c) She remains locked in her bedroom.
(d) She is severely injured by the animal.
8. Who does Holder accuse of taking the beryls?
(a) His niece.
(b) His son.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) Sir George Burnwell.
9. At the end of "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," what does Miss Hunter do?
(a) She receives a promotion.
(b) She runs a school of her own.
(c) She takes a job as a governess.
(d) She has dinner with Holmes.
10. At the end of "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what happens to the niece?
(a) She ends up in jail.
(b) She returns home with Holder.
(c) She is freed from jail.
(d) She flees with Burnwell.
11. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," how does Holmes determine where the goose was purchased?
(a) Makes a bribe.
(b) Makes a bet.
(c) Asks the owner.
(d) Threatens with his fists.
12. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
13. In "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor," what does Holmes receive from Lord St. Simon?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A picture.
(c) A letter.
(d) A telegram.
14. In "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches," where does Hunter ask Holmes to meet her?
15. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(b) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(c) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
(d) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," who delivers the black hat to Holmes?
2. In "The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet," what did Holder's son witness?
3. Which other Doyle story is "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" similar to?
4. What time of year is it at the beginning of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle?"
5. When did Lord St.Simon's wife disappear?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)