|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," besides Peter Jones, who meets with Watson and Holmes?
(a) Mr. Merryweather.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Wilson.
(d) Mr. Windbanks.
2. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) Holmes' landlord.
(b) City detective.
(c) Bank president.
(d) Hotel concierge.
3. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A post office.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A bank.
(d) A pub.
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
(b) To see Hugh Boone.
(c) To apply for a job.
(d) To talk to the detective.
5. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
6. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A rat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A snake.
(d) A cat.
7. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
(a) The pub.
(b) The opium den.
(c) The gambling room.
(d) The brothel.
8. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It continues on with a new leader.
(b) It is dissolved.
(c) It is brought up on tax evasion.
(d) Holmes becomes the new leader.
9. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) A young woman about to be married.
(b) Grotesque details.
(c) Character from a foreign land.
(d) Exotic murder weapon.
10. How do Sutherland and Angel communicate?
(a) They don't communicate.
(b) They meet in secret.
(c) They write each other letters.
(d) They talk by telephone.
11. What is the address of Holmes' apartment?
(a) 221B Baker Street.
(b) 4235D Baker Road.
(c) 342C Butcher Street.
(d) 1212A Mystery Street.
12. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A letter and his ring.
(b) A pocketwatch and boots.
(c) A flower and vase.
(d) A book and a feather.
13. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
(a) Has a girlfriend.
14. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's role at the female character's home?
(a) To distract the lady.
(b) To call while Holmes is in the home.
(c) To throw a smoke bomb.
(d) To wait in the car.
15. Who owns the estate McCarthy lives on?
(c) McCarthy owns it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
2. In "A Case of Identity," what does Holmes need in order to solve the case?
3. Holmes determines that Windbanks is ______________.
4. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
5. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)