|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
(a) It is a surprise guest.
(b) Holmes receives a telegram.
(c) Holmes receives a phone call.
(d) Holmes receives a letter.
2. How does Elias Openshaw die?
(d) He doesn't die.
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To see Hugh Boone.
(b) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
(c) To apply for a job.
(d) To talk to the detective.
4. Who is Holmes' client in "A Case of Identity?"
(a) Miss Irene Adler.
(b) Miss Mary Sutherland.
(c) Miss Jenny Fromberg.
(d) Miss Jane Jones.
5. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To later use the information as a bribe.
(b) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
(c) To save money on publications.
(d) To cover up a murder.
6. What is the crime committed in "A Case of Identity?"
7. In "The Red-Headed League," besides Peter Jones, who meets with Watson and Holmes?
(a) Mr. Windbanks.
(b) Mr. Wilson.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Merryweather.
8. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) John McCarthy.
(b) Charles McCarthy.
(c) James McCarthy.
(d) John Turner.
9. What does Holmes decide to do with the killer at the end of "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Turn him over to the police.
(b) Let him go free.
(c) Extort 10,000 pounds from him.
(d) Make him confess his guilt.
10. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) Ten pounds a month.
(b) Four pounds a week.
(c) Three pounds a day.
(d) 50 pence an hour.
11. In "The Five Orange Pips," why is Watson staying with Holmes?
(a) Holmes is lonely and asks Watson to come over.
(b) Watson is getting a divorce.
(c) Watson's wife kicked him out.
(d) Watson's wife is out of town.
12. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) An atlas.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) An encyclopedia.
13. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what does James claim to see in the water?
(a) A gun.
(b) A top hat.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A diamond ring.
14. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
(d) Has a girlfriend.
15. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A bank.
(b) A pub.
(c) A post office.
(d) A butcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
2. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
3. What is Wilson instructed to copy in his job for the Red-Headed League?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
5. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)