|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) Holmes becomes the new leader.
(b) It is brought up on tax evasion.
(c) It continues on with a new leader.
(d) It is dissolved.
2. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
(a) Mrs. St. Clair.
(c) His wife.
(d) Mr. St. Clair.
3. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) A young woman about to be married.
(b) Exotic murder weapon.
(c) Character from a foreign land.
(d) Grotesque details.
4. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) The authorities.
(b) A knife.
(c) A riding whip.
(d) A pistol.
5. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Embarrassing tapes.
(b) A letter.
(c) Incriminating evidence.
(d) A picture.
6. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A snake.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rat.
7. What is the relationship between Angel and Sutherland?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Father and daughter.
(d) Boss and employee.
8. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) The Bible.
(d) An atlas.
9. Who receives the second letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
10. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
(c) Stable worker.
11. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
(a) June 15th.
(b) July 24th.
(c) May 7th.
(d) June 3rd.
12. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(d) Opera singer.
13. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Stages a fight.
(b) Disguises himself as a salesman.
(c) Breaks in.
(d) Woos her to be her lover.
14. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is run aground just outside of England.
(b) It is sunk at sea.
(c) It is attacked by pirates.
(d) It is lost at sea for three months.
15. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
(a) To preserve the wealth of red heads.
(b) To advance the interests of red-headed men everywhere.
(c) To outline the lineage of red-headed people.
(d) For the education of red-headed families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crime committed in "A Case of Identity?"
2. What is Elias' reaction to the letter he receives?
3. In "The Red-Headed League," besides Peter Jones, who meets with Watson and Holmes?
4. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)