|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where was the person Holmes investigating last seen?
(a) The opium den.
(b) The pub.
(c) The gambling room.
(d) The brothel.
2. What is unusual about Angel?
(a) Angel walks with a limp.
(b) Angel knows Holmes from a previous case.
(c) Angel wears dark glasses and speaks quietly.
(d) Angel is very wealthy yet dresses like a slob.
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
(a) Mr. William Prince.
(b) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(c) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(d) Mr. Windbank.
4. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
(a) Kate Whitney.
(b) Isa Whitney.
(c) Mr. St. Clair.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Smoke a pipe.
(d) Drink alcohol.
6. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Charles McCarthy.
(c) John Turner.
(d) James McCarthy.
7. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Researching in his library.
(b) Seeing a patient.
(c) Having breakfast with his wife.
(d) On vacation with his wife.
8. What is Wilson instructed to copy in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) Webster's Dictionary.
(b) The Encyclopedia Britannica.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Oxford English Dictionary.
9. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) Pictures from his past.
(b) Five orange pips.
(c) Directions to treasure.
(d) A blank check.
10. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is attacked by pirates.
(b) It is sunk at sea.
(c) It is run aground just outside of England.
(d) It is lost at sea for three months.
11. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
(a) Playing the guitar.
(b) Reading a sailing novel.
(c) Cross-indexing his files.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
12. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
(a) James McCarthy.
(b) John Turner.
(c) None of these.
(d) Charles McCarthy.
13. What does Holmes decide to do with the killer at the end of "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Make him confess his guilt.
(b) Extort 10,000 pounds from him.
(c) Turn him over to the police.
(d) Let him go free.
14. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
(a) He trips over a hole, hits his head and is killed.
(b) He is accused of murder.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) He flees the country.
15. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
(a) In the sitting room.
(b) Hiding in the stable.
(c) Eating in the kitchen.
(d) She is no longer there.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
2. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
4. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
5. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)