|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
(a) Reading a sailing novel.
(b) Cross-indexing his files.
(c) Playing the guitar.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
2. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
(a) He is an opium addict and spends time begging on the streets.
(b) He is a wine dealer and travels to France.
(c) He has a gambling addiction and plays poker.
(d) He works endless hours at his lawfirm.
3. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Researching in his library.
(b) Seeing a patient.
(c) On vacation with his wife.
(d) Having breakfast with his wife.
4. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) A blank check.
(b) Pictures from his past.
(c) Directions to treasure.
(d) Five orange pips.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A rat.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A snake.
6. Where is Boscombe Valley?
(b) In the countryside.
(c) In the city.
(d) On an island.
7. What does Holmes refer to the female character in "A Scandal in Bohemia" as?
(a) "The temptress."
(b) "The sleuth."
(c) Nothing. He refuses to speak her name.
(d) "The woman."
8. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
(a) The gambling room.
(b) The pub.
(c) The opium den.
(d) The brothel.
9. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Breaks in.
(b) Woos her to be her lover.
(c) Stages a fight.
(d) Disguises himself as a salesman.
10. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Get him dressed.
(b) Clean him up.
(c) Pay his bill.
(d) Post bail.
11. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
(d) Stable worker.
12. Who receives the second letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
13. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
(a) Kate Whitney.
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(d) Isa Whitney.
14. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is Holmes feeling about the person he is looking for?
(a) That he will never be found.
(b) That he left his wife.
(c) That he is dead.
(d) That he is in jail.
15. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
(a) John Turner.
(b) Charles McCarthy.
(c) None of these.
(d) James McCarthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
3. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
4. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
5. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)