|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
2. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A pocketwatch and boots.
(b) A book and a feather.
(c) A flower and vase.
(d) A letter and his ring.
3. In "A Case of Identity," what does Holmes need in order to solve the case?
(a) Holmes tells Watson to meet him at 10 pm.
(b) Holmes disguises himself as Windbanks and meets Sutherland.
(c) Holmes sends a letter to Windbanks.
(d) Holmes has a drink with Angel.
4. Where does the Red-Headed League place an advertisement for employment?
(a) The post office.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) A flier.
(d) The phonebook.
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is lost at sea for three months.
(b) It is sunk at sea.
(c) It is attacked by pirates.
(d) It is run aground just outside of England.
6. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) Holmes' landlord.
(b) Hotel concierge.
(c) City detective.
(d) Bank president.
7. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
(a) July 24th.
(b) June 3rd.
(c) May 7th.
(d) June 15th.
8. Who receives the second letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
9. Once Holmes determines the murderer in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what is the murderer's response?
(a) Attempts to murder Holmes.
(b) Denies his involvement.
(c) Flees the scene.
(d) Confesses to the crime.
10. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
11. How do Sutherland and Angel communicate?
(a) They don't communicate.
(b) They meet in secret.
(c) They talk by telephone.
(d) They write each other letters.
12. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is the title of the visitor to Holmes' apartment?
(a) Prime Minister.
13. What is the name of the female in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Irene Adler.
(b) Melanie Smith.
(c) Wilma Robinson.
(d) Jane Johnson.
14. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) Three pounds a day.
(b) 50 pence an hour.
(c) Four pounds a week.
(d) Ten pounds a month.
15. Who calls Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Detective Lestrade.
(b) Dr. Watson.
(c) James McCarthy.
(d) John Turner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the estate McCarthy lives on?
2. Where is Boscombe Valley?
3. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
4. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)