|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
2. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
(a) Pondicherry, India.
(b) Madrid, Spain.
(d) New York.
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
(a) Both are from India.
(b) Both have KKK and five orange pips.
(c) Both are written in Spanish.
(d) Both are written on the same typewriter.
4. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It continues on with a new leader.
(b) It is dissolved.
(c) Holmes becomes the new leader.
(d) It is brought up on tax evasion.
5. What is Elias' reaction to the letter he receives?
6. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(a) A knife.
(c) A bottle of gin.
(d) His revolver.
7. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A riding whip.
(c) A knife.
(d) The authorities.
8. In "The Red-Headed League," besides Peter Jones, who meets with Watson and Holmes?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Windbanks.
(c) Mr. Merryweather.
(d) Mr. Wilson.
9. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) On Christmas morning.
(b) On election day.
(c) At the funeral.
(d) On his wedding day.
10. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) Hotel concierge.
(b) City detective.
(c) Bank president.
(d) Holmes' landlord.
11. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) The killer is insane and a serial killer.
(b) The victim lied to the killer.
(c) The killer is being blackmailed.
(d) The victim has incriminating evidence on the killer.
12. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
(a) James McCarthy.
(b) John Turner.
(c) Charles McCarthy.
(d) None of these.
13. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(c) Kate Whitney.
(d) Isa Whitney.
14. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
(a) Sunny and hot.
(c) Clear skies.
15. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A bank.
(b) A pub.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A post office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Holmes determines the murderer in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what is the murderer's response?
2. Describe Holmes' client in "The Five Orange Pips."
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," why is Watson staying with Holmes?
4. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
5. In "A Case of Identity," Watson uses a newspaper story about what to prove his point to Holmes?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)