|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives the third letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
(a) Holmes receives a phone call.
(b) It is a surprise guest.
(c) Holmes receives a letter.
(d) Holmes receives a telegram.
3. What is the relationship between Angel and Sutherland?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Boss and employee.
4. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
(a) Sunny and hot.
(c) Clear skies.
5. Where is Boscombe Valley?
(b) In the city.
(c) In the countryside.
(d) On an island.
6. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary books.
(b) Ordinary life.
(c) Ordinary people.
(d) Ordinary dreams.
7. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
8. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) Four pounds a week.
(b) 50 pence an hour.
(c) Ten pounds a month.
(d) Three pounds a day.
9. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
(a) Tells him to run out of town.
(b) Tells him to turn himself in to the police.
(c) Tells him to go back to his wife and quit begging.
(d) Tells him to continue what he is doing.
10. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
(a) Mr. Windbanks.
(b) Mr. Hosmer Angel.
(c) Miss Sutherland.
(d) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
11. According to Watson's medical investigation in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," from which angle did the fatal blow come?
(a) From the side.
(b) From behind.
(c) There was no fatal blow.
(d) From the front.
12. Who receives the second letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
13. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
(a) He works endless hours at his lawfirm.
(b) He is a wine dealer and travels to France.
(c) He has a gambling addiction and plays poker.
(d) He is an opium addict and spends time begging on the streets.
14. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
(a) Kate Whitney.
(b) Mrs. St. Clair.
(c) Isa Whitney.
(d) Mr. St. Clair.
15. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Embarrassing tapes.
(b) A letter.
(c) Incriminating evidence.
(d) A picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
2. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is unusual about the visitor who comes to Holmes' apartment?
4. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)