|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) On vacation with his wife.
(b) Seeing a patient.
(c) Researching in his library.
(d) Having breakfast with his wife.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
(a) Smoke a pipe and mend socks.
(b) Listen to music.
(c) Draw and sew.
(d) Read and knit.
3. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To cover up a murder.
(b) To save money on publications.
(c) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
(d) To later use the information as a bribe.
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To apply for a job.
(b) To see Hugh Boone.
(c) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
(d) To talk to the detective.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A cripple and some clothes.
(b) A pistol and ammunition.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A bottle of gin.
6. What does Holmes decide to do with the killer at the end of "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Extort 10,000 pounds from him.
(b) Let him go free.
(c) Turn him over to the police.
(d) Make him confess his guilt.
7. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(b) Opera singer.
8. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) Five orange pips.
(b) A blank check.
(c) Pictures from his past.
(d) Directions to treasure.
9. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
(a) Windbank is Sutherland's stepfather.
(b) Sutherland is Windbank's maid.
(c) Windbank os Sutherland's father.
(d) Sutherland is Windbank's mother.
10. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) The Bible.
(c) An atlas.
(d) A dictionary.
11. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) A letter.
(b) A picture.
(c) Incriminating evidence.
(d) Embarrassing tapes.
12. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
(b) Dr. Watson.
(c) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
13. In "A Case of Identity," Watson uses a newspaper story about what to prove his point to Holmes?
(a) A man beating his wife.
(b) A stolen book.
(c) A murder.
(d) A bank robbery.
14. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
(a) To preserve the wealth of red heads.
(b) To outline the lineage of red-headed people.
(c) To advance the interests of red-headed men everywhere.
(d) For the education of red-headed families.
15. How does Miss Sutherland support herself?
(a) Her inheritance and a job as a typist.
(b) Her allowance from her stepfather.
(c) She works as a prostitute.
(d) She is married and her husband supports her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
3. According to Watson's medical investigation in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," from which angle did the fatal blow come?
4. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
5. What is the name of the female in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)