|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elias Openshaw die?
(a) He doesn't die.
2. What is Elias' reaction to the letter he receives?
3. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
(a) Yes, but the object is destroyed.
(b) No, Holmes is unsuccessful.
(c) Yes, the object is returned to the king.
(d) No, the lady takes the object with her.
4. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) A knife.
(b) The authorities.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A riding whip.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
6. What hours does Wilson work in his job for the Red-Headed League?
7. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(c) Opera singer.
8. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is Holmes feeling about the person he is looking for?
(a) That he is dead.
(b) That he left his wife.
(c) That he is in jail.
(d) That he will never be found.
9. When Watson shows up at the appointed time at night, what is the role of Peter Jones?
(a) City detective.
(b) Bank president.
(c) Hotel concierge.
(d) Holmes' landlord.
10. From which country do Turner and McCarthy know each other?
(a) United States.
11. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is sunk at sea.
(b) It is run aground just outside of England.
(c) It is lost at sea for three months.
(d) It is attacked by pirates.
12. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A flower and vase.
(b) A letter and his ring.
(c) A pocketwatch and boots.
(d) A book and a feather.
13. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) His revolver.
(d) A knife.
14. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) On his wedding day.
(b) On election day.
(c) On Christmas morning.
(d) At the funeral.
15. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
(a) Drink alcohol.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Smoke a pipe.
(d) Go for a walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Holmes believe to be behind the Red-Headed League?
2. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
3. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
4. In "The Five Orange Pips," why is Watson staying with Holmes?
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)