|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
(a) Listen to music.
(b) Draw and sew.
(c) Read and knit.
(d) Smoke a pipe and mend socks.
2. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
3. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) The killer is insane and a serial killer.
(b) The killer is being blackmailed.
(c) The victim lied to the killer.
(d) The victim has incriminating evidence on the killer.
4. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
(a) He flees the country.
(b) He is accused of murder.
(c) He trips over a hole, hits his head and is killed.
(d) He hangs himself.
5. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
6. Describe Holmes' client in "The Five Orange Pips."
(a) A young man in his twenties.
(b) An blind man in his sixties.
(c) A pretty young woman.
(d) A large old woman.
7. What is Watson doing when he receives a telegram from Holmes in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Seeing a patient.
(b) On vacation with his wife.
(c) Having breakfast with his wife.
(d) Researching in his library.
8. In "A Case of Identity," what does Holmes need in order to solve the case?
(a) Holmes tells Watson to meet him at 10 pm.
(b) Holmes sends a letter to Windbanks.
(c) Holmes has a drink with Angel.
(d) Holmes disguises himself as Windbanks and meets Sutherland.
9. What is the outcome of the case in "The Red-Headed League?"
(a) Holmes is unable to solve the case.
(b) Holmes solves the case and executes the criminal.
(c) Holmes solves the case but lets the criminal go free.
(d) Holmes solves the case and catches the criminal.
10. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is Holmes feeling about the person he is looking for?
(a) That he is dead.
(b) That he is in jail.
(c) That he will never be found.
(d) That he left his wife.
11. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A cripple and some clothes.
(b) A pistol and ammunition.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A bottle of gin.
12. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A cat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rat.
13. What is Holmes' client being blackmailed with in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Embarrassing tapes.
(b) Incriminating evidence.
(c) A letter.
(d) A picture.
14. Where did Sutherland and Angel meet?
(a) At a library.
(b) At a pub.
(c) At Sutherland's home.
(d) At a ball.
15. Who owns the estate McCarthy lives on?
(d) McCarthy owns it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
2. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
4. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
5. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)