|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(a) A bottle of gin.
(b) His revolver.
(d) A knife.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is unusual when Watson first meets Holmes?
(a) Holmes has a mustache.
(b) Holmes is in disguise.
(c) Holmes is skipping along the road.
(d) Holmes is sleeping.
4. What is the weather like in "The Five Orange Pips" when Watson is at Holmes' home?
(c) Clear skies.
(d) Sunny and hot.
5. Who does Holmes believe to be behind the Red-Headed League?
(a) John Clay.
(b) Jake Jones.
(c) John Warren.
(d) Jim Smith.
6. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A bank.
(b) A post office.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A pub.
7. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Clean him up.
(b) Pay his bill.
(c) Get him dressed.
(d) Post bail.
8. What is Elias' reaction to the letter he receives?
9. What is unusual about Angel?
(a) Angel wears dark glasses and speaks quietly.
(b) Angel is very wealthy yet dresses like a slob.
(c) Angel walks with a limp.
(d) Angel knows Holmes from a previous case.
10. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
(a) Mr. William Prince.
(b) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(c) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(d) Mr. Windbank.
11. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
(a) To keep Wilson away from his shop.
(b) To court his mistress.
(c) To buy Wilson's business.
(d) To use as a tax shelter.
12. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
13. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A letter and his ring.
(b) A pocketwatch and boots.
(c) A flower and vase.
(d) A book and a feather.
14. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
(a) Yes, the object is returned to the king.
(b) No, the lady takes the object with her.
(c) No, Holmes is unsuccessful.
(d) Yes, but the object is destroyed.
15. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
(a) Smoke a pipe.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Drink alcohol.
(d) Read a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elias Openshaw die?
2. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
3. Who is Holmes' client in "The Red-Headed League?
4. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
5. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)