|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where was the person Holmes investigating last seen?
(a) The brothel.
(b) The opium den.
(c) The pub.
(d) The gambling room.
2. Why is Mr. WIndbank frequently away from home?
(a) He has a gambling addiction and plays poker.
(b) He is a wine dealer and travels to France.
(c) He is an opium addict and spends time begging on the streets.
(d) He works endless hours at his lawfirm.
3. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
(a) Playing the guitar.
(b) Reading a sailing novel.
(c) Cross-indexing his files.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
4. What is the outcome of the case in "The Red-Headed League?"
(a) Holmes solves the case and executes the criminal.
(b) Holmes is unable to solve the case.
(c) Holmes solves the case but lets the criminal go free.
(d) Holmes solves the case and catches the criminal.
5. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) A dictionary.
(b) An atlas.
(c) The Bible.
(d) An encyclopedia.
6. Who receives the third letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
7. From which country do Turner and McCarthy know each other?
(d) United States.
8. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
(a) Stable worker.
9. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
(a) She is no longer there.
(b) In the sitting room.
(c) Eating in the kitchen.
(d) Hiding in the stable.
10. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is sunk at sea.
(b) It is attacked by pirates.
(c) It is lost at sea for three months.
(d) It is run aground just outside of England.
11. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what did a witness see?
(a) Charles and James quarreling at the lake.
(b) Charles and John exchanging money.
(c) James walking with John.
(d) John and James returning from the lake.
12. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
(a) Mr. St. Clair.
(b) Isa Whitney.
(d) Kate Whitney.
13. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
(a) To court his mistress.
(b) To use as a tax shelter.
(c) To keep Wilson away from his shop.
(d) To buy Wilson's business.
14. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A pistol and ammunition.
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A cripple and some clothes.
15. Who is Holmes' client in "The Red-Headed League?
(a) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(b) Mr. Windbank.
(c) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(d) Mr. McCarthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
2. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
3. What is unusual about Angel?
4. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
5. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)