|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To talk to the detective.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To see Hugh Boone.
(d) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
2. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) Three pounds a day.
(b) Ten pounds a month.
(c) 50 pence an hour.
(d) Four pounds a week.
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
(a) Charles McCarthy.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) James McCarthy.
(d) John Turner.
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) On election day.
(b) On his wedding day.
(c) On Christmas morning.
(d) At the funeral.
5. Where does the Red-Headed League place an advertisement for employment?
(a) The phonebook.
(b) A flier.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The post office.
6. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To cover up a murder.
(b) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
(c) To save money on publications.
(d) To later use the information as a bribe.
7. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary books.
(b) Ordinary life.
(c) Ordinary people.
(d) Ordinary dreams.
8. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
(a) Tells him to go back to his wife and quit begging.
(b) Tells him to continue what he is doing.
(c) Tells him to run out of town.
(d) Tells him to turn himself in to the police.
9. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," who is the last person to see the person Holmes is investigating?
(a) Kate Whitney.
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(c) Mrs. St. Clair.
(d) Isa Whitney.
10. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
(a) June 15th.
(b) June 3rd.
(c) July 24th.
(d) May 7th.
11. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Pay his bill.
(b) Post bail.
(c) Clean him up.
(d) Get him dressed.
12. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Disguises himself as a salesman.
(b) Woos her to be her lover.
(c) Breaks in.
(d) Stages a fight.
13. What is the name of the female in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Melanie Smith.
(b) Jane Johnson.
(c) Irene Adler.
(d) Wilma Robinson.
14. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) An atlas.
(d) The Bible.
15. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
(a) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(b) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(c) Mr. Windbank.
(d) Mr. William Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
2. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
4. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
5. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)