|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To apply for a job.
(b) To talk to the detective.
(c) To see Hugh Boone.
(d) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
2. Who is Holmes' client in "A Case of Identity?"
(a) Miss Mary Sutherland.
(b) Miss Jenny Fromberg.
(c) Miss Jane Jones.
(d) Miss Irene Adler.
3. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary life.
(b) Ordinary people.
(c) Ordinary dreams.
(d) Ordinary books.
4. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) James McCarthy.
(b) John Turner.
(c) John McCarthy.
(d) Charles McCarthy.
5. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Stages a fight.
(b) Disguises himself as a salesman.
(c) Woos her to be her lover.
(d) Breaks in.
6. What does Holmes decide to do with the killer at the end of "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Let him go free.
(b) Make him confess his guilt.
(c) Turn him over to the police.
(d) Extort 10,000 pounds from him.
7. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what does James claim to see in the water?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A top hat.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A gun.
8. According to the interrogation report of James in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what sound did Charles McCarthy make?
9. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
(a) Read and knit.
(b) Listen to music.
(c) Smoke a pipe and mend socks.
(d) Draw and sew.
10. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
(a) Mr. Godfrey Norton.
(b) Mr. William Prince.
(c) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(d) Mr. Windbank.
11. Where is Boscombe Valley?
(a) In the city.
(b) In the countryside.
(c) On an island.
12. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what did a witness see?
(a) Charles and James quarreling at the lake.
(b) James walking with John.
(c) John and James returning from the lake.
(d) Charles and John exchanging money.
13. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do with the person he is investigating?
(a) Tells him to go back to his wife and quit begging.
(b) Tells him to continue what he is doing.
(c) Tells him to turn himself in to the police.
(d) Tells him to run out of town.
14. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) A riding whip.
(b) The authorities.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A knife.
15. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Red-Headed League," where do Holmes and Watson go?
2. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
3. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
4. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
5. In "The Five Orange Pips," why is Watson staying with Holmes?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)