|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) The victim lied to the killer.
(b) The killer is insane and a serial killer.
(c) The killer is being blackmailed.
(d) The victim has incriminating evidence on the killer.
2. How does Elias Openshaw die?
(c) He doesn't die.
3. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
(d) Best man.
4. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
(a) Isa Whitney.
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(d) Kate Whitney.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what does James claim to see in the water?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A top hat.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A gun.
6. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," why do Holmes and Watson travel to the police house?
(a) To post bail for Isa Whitney.
(b) To see Hugh Boone.
(c) To talk to the detective.
(d) To apply for a job.
7. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
(a) New York.
(c) Pondicherry, India.
(d) Madrid, Spain.
8. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
(a) The opium den.
(b) The brothel.
(c) The gambling room.
(d) The pub.
9. What is the crime committed in "A Case of Identity?"
10. Describe Holmes' client in "The Five Orange Pips."
(a) A pretty young woman.
(b) A young man in his twenties.
(c) A large old woman.
(d) An blind man in his sixties.
11. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A bottle of gin.
(b) A cripple and some clothes.
(c) A pistol and ammunition.
(d) A pipe.
12. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) He dies, apparently by accident.
(b) He is arrested for murder.
(c) He moves in with Holmes.
(d) He flees the country.
13. What is the outcome of the case in "The Red-Headed League?"
(a) Holmes solves the case and executes the criminal.
(b) Holmes solves the case and catches the criminal.
(c) Holmes is unable to solve the case.
(d) Holmes solves the case but lets the criminal go free.
14. How much does Wilson earn in his job for the Red-Headed League?
(a) 50 pence an hour.
(b) Ten pounds a month.
(c) Four pounds a week.
(d) Three pounds a day.
15. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
(a) The KKK.
(b) Scotland Yard.
(c) The Big Four.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," how are the first and second letter similar?
2. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what did a witness see?
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who is originally arrested for murder?
4. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
5. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's role at the female character's home?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)