|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
(a) To have Miss Sutherland move out of his house.
(b) To gain Miss Sutherland's inheritance.
(c) To prevent Miss Sutherland from getting married.
(d) To legally adpot Miss Sutherland.
2. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It is brought up on tax evasion.
(b) Holmes becomes the new leader.
(c) It continues on with a new leader.
(d) It is dissolved.
3. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) John Turner.
(b) James McCarthy.
(c) John McCarthy.
(d) Charles McCarthy.
4. What date does Charles McCarthy make an appointment at the Boscombe Valley pool?
(a) July 24th.
(b) May 7th.
(c) June 15th.
(d) June 3rd.
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
(a) A snake.
(b) A dog.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cat.
6. What hours does Wilson work in his job for the Red-Headed League?
7. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To later use the information as a bribe.
(b) To cover up a murder.
(c) To save money on publications.
(d) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
8. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
(a) The brothel.
(b) The opium den.
(c) The pub.
(d) The gambling room.
9. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
(a) Holmes receives a phone call.
(b) Holmes receives a telegram.
(c) Holmes receives a letter.
(d) It is a surprise guest.
10. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
(a) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Dr. Watson.
11. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," when is Holmes' client set to be blackmailed?
(a) At the funeral.
(b) On his wedding day.
(c) On Christmas morning.
(d) On election day.
12. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A pub.
(b) A post office.
(c) A bank.
(d) A butcher.
13. What is the outcome of the case in "The Red-Headed League?"
(a) Holmes solves the case but lets the criminal go free.
(b) Holmes solves the case and catches the criminal.
(c) Holmes is unable to solve the case.
(d) Holmes solves the case and executes the criminal.
14. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) A young woman about to be married.
(b) Grotesque details.
(c) Character from a foreign land.
(d) Exotic murder weapon.
15. How do Holmes and Watson travel to the case in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery"?
(a) By train.
(b) By foot.
(c) By car.
(d) By horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Holmes' client in "A Case of Identity?"
2. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
3. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
4. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
5. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)