|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to the ship, the Lone Star?
(a) It is sunk at sea.
(b) It is run aground just outside of England.
(c) It is attacked by pirates.
(d) It is lost at sea for three months.
2. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
(b) Stable worker.
3. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To cover up a murder.
(b) To save money on publications.
(c) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
(d) To later use the information as a bribe.
4. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is unusual about the visitor who comes to Holmes' apartment?
(a) The visitor is wearing unusual glasses.
(b) The visitor is not wearing any clothes.
(c) The visitor is wearing an eyepatch.
(d) The visitor is wearing a mask.
5. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Pay his bill.
(b) Post bail.
(c) Get him dressed.
(d) Clean him up.
6. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
(b) New York.
(c) Madrid, Spain.
(d) Pondicherry, India.
7. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) A pistol.
(b) The authorities.
(c) A knife.
(d) A riding whip.
8. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) Grotesque details.
(b) A young woman about to be married.
(c) Exotic murder weapon.
(d) Character from a foreign land.
9. In "The Red-Headed League," where do Holmes and Watson go?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the theatre.
(c) To the bank.
(d) To the gym.
10. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
(a) Sutherland is Windbank's mother.
(b) Windbank os Sutherland's father.
(c) Sutherland is Windbank's maid.
(d) Windbank is Sutherland's stepfather.
11. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
(a) He calls off the wedding.
(b) He falls and breaks his leg.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He is in a car accident.
12. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A flower and vase.
(b) A pocketwatch and boots.
(c) A letter and his ring.
(d) A book and a feather.
13. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," which character is found dead?
(a) John Turner.
(b) James McCarthy.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) Charles McCarthy.
14. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
(d) Best man.
15. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
(a) Yes, but the object is destroyed.
(b) Yes, the object is returned to the king.
(c) No, Holmes is unsuccessful.
(d) No, the lady takes the object with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's relationship status?
2. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
3. What is the motivation for the murder in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
4. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
5. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)