|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) A cripple and some clothes.
(d) A pistol and ammunition.
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is the title of the visitor to Holmes' apartment?
(b) Prime Minister.
3. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(b) Opera singer.
4. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
(b) Best man.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," whose disappearance is Holmes investigating?
(a) Kate Whitney.
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(c) Isa Whitney.
(d) Mrs. St. Clair.
6. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) An atlas.
7. What is the name of the female in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Wilma Robinson.
(b) Jane Johnson.
(c) Melanie Smith.
(d) Irene Adler.
8. How do Holmes and Watson travel to the case in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery"?
(a) By foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By horse.
(d) By train.
9. In "The Five Orange Pips," what happens to Joseph?
(a) He hangs himself.
(b) He trips over a hole, hits his head and is killed.
(c) He is accused of murder.
(d) He flees the country.
10. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
(a) To prevent Miss Sutherland from getting married.
(b) To gain Miss Sutherland's inheritance.
(c) To legally adpot Miss Sutherland.
(d) To have Miss Sutherland move out of his house.
11. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
(a) Dr. Watson.
(c) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
12. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
(a) Yes, but the object is destroyed.
(b) Yes, the object is returned to the king.
(c) No, Holmes is unsuccessful.
(d) No, the lady takes the object with her.
13. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
(a) A young woman about to be married.
(b) Character from a foreign land.
(c) Exotic murder weapon.
(d) Grotesque details.
14. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes ask Watson to bring with him at night?
(a) A bottle of gin.
(b) A knife.
(d) His revolver.
15. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) A blank check.
(b) Pictures from his past.
(c) Directions to treasure.
(d) Five orange pips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Holmes' client in "A Case of Identity?"
2. When Holmes begins to solve the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is his disguise?
3. From which country do Turner and McCarthy know each other?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which feeling best describes the person Holmes is investigating once caught?
5. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)