|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
(a) Play the violin.
(b) Smoke a pipe.
(d) Take a walk.
2. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what does Holmes do while thinking about the case?
(a) Smoke a pipe.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Read a book.
(d) Drink alcohol.
3. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To later use the information as a bribe.
(b) To cover up a murder.
(c) To save money on publications.
(d) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
4. In "The Red-Headed League," where do Holmes and Watson go?
(a) To the theatre.
(b) To the bank.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the gym.
5. Holmes determines that Windbanks is ______________.
(b) Sutherland's real father.
(c) A thief.
(d) A criminal.
6. Which of the following characters is not in "A Case of Identity?"
(a) Mr. Windbanks.
(b) Mr. Jabez Wilson.
(c) Mr. Hosmer Angel.
(d) Miss Sutherland.
7. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
(a) The opium den.
(b) The pub.
(c) The brothel.
(d) The gambling room.
8. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," how does Holmes know someone is going to pay him a visit?
(a) Holmes receives a telegram.
(b) It is a surprise guest.
(c) Holmes receives a phone call.
(d) Holmes receives a letter.
9. Who receives the third letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
10. While on the case in "A Scandal in Bohemia," what role does Holmes play at the church?
(b) Best man.
11. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
(a) To buy Wilson's business.
(b) To keep Wilson away from his shop.
(c) To use as a tax shelter.
(d) To court his mistress.
12. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) A dictionary.
(b) The Bible.
(c) An encyclopedia.
(d) An atlas.
13. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
(a) A pistol and ammunition.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A cripple and some clothes.
(d) A bottle of gin.
14. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
(a) He calls off the wedding.
(b) He falls and breaks his leg.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He is in a car accident.
15. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary people.
(b) Ordinary books.
(c) Ordinary life.
(d) Ordinary dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what animal does Charles McCarthy mention?
2. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
3. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
4. Who owns the estate McCarthy lives on?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is Holmes feeling about the person he is looking for?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)