|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"?
(a) Dr. Watson.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
2. After Holmes accepts Wilson's case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he do to help him think about the case?
(a) Play the violin.
(b) Take a walk.
(d) Smoke a pipe.
3. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
(a) The Bible.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) An atlas.
(d) An encyclopedia.
4. Holmes determines that Windbanks is ______________.
(a) A thief.
(b) Sutherland's real father.
(d) A criminal.
5. Who owns the estate McCarthy lives on?
(a) McCarthy owns it.
6. After Watson finds and leaves with Whitney, who does Watson run into?
(a) Mr. St. Clair.
(b) Mrs. St. Clair.
(d) His wife.
7. What is inside the letter Elias receives?
(a) Pictures from his past.
(b) Five orange pips.
(c) A blank check.
(d) Directions to treasure.
8. When Holmes, Watson and their client go to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia," where is she?
(a) Hiding in the stable.
(b) She is no longer there.
(c) In the sitting room.
(d) Eating in the kitchen.
9. Where is Boscombe Valley?
(a) In the city.
(b) On an island.
(c) In the countryside.
10. In "The Five Orange Pips," what is Watson doing before their client comes in?
(a) Smoking a pipe.
(b) Playing the guitar.
(c) Cross-indexing his files.
(d) Reading a sailing novel.
11. Where did the letter Elias receives come from?
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) New York.
(c) Pondicherry, India.
12. What body part of Spaulding's does Holmes want to see?
13. What building is next door to Wilson's shop?
(a) A post office.
(b) A bank.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A pub.
14. What is the relationship between Elias and John Openshaw?
15. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," what did a witness see?
(a) Charles and James quarreling at the lake.
(b) John and James returning from the lake.
(c) Charles and John exchanging money.
(d) James walking with John.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," is Holmes successful at solving the case?
2. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," who is the female character's significant other?
3. What does Holmes refer to the female character in "A Scandal in Bohemia" as?
4. What happens to John in "The Five Orange Pips?"
5. What is the purpose of the Red-Headed League?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)