|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elias receive a letter from?
(a) Scotland Yard.
(b) The Big Four.
(d) The KKK.
2. What does Holmes decide to do with the killer at the end of "The Boscombe Valley Mystery?"
(a) Make him confess his guilt.
(b) Let him go free.
(c) Extort 10,000 pounds from him.
(d) Turn him over to the police.
3. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A letter and his ring.
(b) A pocketwatch and boots.
(c) A flower and vase.
(d) A book and a feather.
4. Once Isa Whitney is found, what must Watson do before he leaves?
(a) Pay his bill.
(b) Post bail.
(c) Get him dressed.
(d) Clean him up.
5. In "The Red-Headed League," what does Holmes believe is the reason for Wilson's job?
(a) To buy Wilson's business.
(b) To court his mistress.
(c) To keep Wilson away from his shop.
(d) To use as a tax shelter.
6. When Holmes solves the case in "The Red-Headed League," what does he determine is the reason for the Red-Headed League?
(a) To later use the information as a bribe.
(b) To cover up a murder.
(c) To save money on publications.
(d) To tunnel under Wilson's shop.
7. Who receives the third letter in "The Five Orange Pips?"
8. Where did Elias Openshaw briefly live?
9. How does Holmes gain access to the female character's home in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
(a) Disguises himself as a salesman.
(b) Breaks in.
(c) Stages a fight.
(d) Woos her to be her lover.
10. In "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," who does Holmes deduce is the murderer?
(a) James McCarthy.
(b) John Turner.
(c) Charles McCarthy.
(d) John McCarthy.
11. At the end of the case, what happens to the Red-Headed League?
(a) It is dissolved.
(b) It continues on with a new leader.
(c) Holmes becomes the new leader.
(d) It is brought up on tax evasion.
12. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what do Watson and his wife do after dinner?
(a) Smoke a pipe and mend socks.
(b) Read and knit.
(c) Draw and sew.
(d) Listen to music.
13. What is the relationship between Sutherland and Windbank?
(a) Sutherland is Windbank's mother.
(b) Windbank os Sutherland's father.
(c) Windbank is Sutherland's stepfather.
(d) Sutherland is Windbank's maid.
14. According to Watson's medical investigation in "The Boscombe Valley Mystery," from which angle did the fatal blow come?
(a) From the side.
(b) From the front.
(c) There was no fatal blow.
(d) From behind.
15. In "A Scandal in Bohemia," what is Watson's role at the female character's home?
(a) To distract the lady.
(b) To call while Holmes is in the home.
(c) To throw a smoke bomb.
(d) To wait in the car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
2. What book does Holmes consult in "The Five Orange Pips?"
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
4. What is the female's profession in "A Scandal in Bohemia?"
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is unusual when Watson first meets Holmes?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)