|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 9, The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," who is the last person to see the person Holmes is investigating?
(a) Mrs. St. Clair.
(b) Mr. St. Clair.
(c) Kate Whitney.
(d) Isa Whitney.
2. What does Holmes threaten Mr. Windbanks with?
(a) A riding whip.
(b) A knife.
(c) A pistol.
(d) The authorities.
3. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
(a) To gain Miss Sutherland's inheritance.
(b) To have Miss Sutherland move out of his house.
(c) To prevent Miss Sutherland from getting married.
(d) To legally adpot Miss Sutherland.
4. In "A Case of Identity," Watson uses a newspaper story about what to prove his point to Holmes?
(a) A man beating his wife.
(b) A murder.
(c) A bank robbery.
(d) A stolen book.
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
(a) The engineer wants to know what the machine is used for.
(b) The engineer asks for a higher rate of pay.
(c) The engineer makes a pass at his wife.
(d) The engineer refurses to do the assigned job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
2. On the morning of Sutherland and Angel's marriage, what happens to Angel?
3. What character does "The Man with the Twisted Lip" begin a description with?
4. Which of the following Holmes' characteristics does "A Case of Identity" contain?
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," when the police return to the last known location of the missing person, what do they find?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)