|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 9, The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Holmes determines that Windbanks is ______________.
(a) A criminal.
(b) A thief.
(c) Sutherland's real father.
2. How does Miss Sutherland support herself?
(a) Her allowance from her stepfather.
(b) She is married and her husband supports her.
(c) She works as a prostitute.
(d) Her inheritance and a job as a typist.
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is unusual when Watson first meets Holmes?
(a) Holmes is skipping along the road.
(b) Holmes has a mustache.
(c) Holmes is sleeping.
(d) Holmes is in disguise.
4. When the engineer arrives at the designated spot in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what is the German woman's attitude towards him?
(a) She wonders what he is doing there.
(b) She asks him for help.
(c) She implores him to leave immediately.
(d) She welcomes him into her home.
5. "A Case of Identity" begins with Holmes and Watson discussing the strangeness of _______________________.
(a) Ordinary life.
(b) Ordinary books.
(c) Ordinary people.
(d) Ordinary dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb" begin?
2. In "A Case of Identity," what does Holmes need in order to solve the case?
3. How do Sutherland and Angel communicate?
4. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," what is found in the water?
5. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)