|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 9, The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rate of pay for the engineer in "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb?"
(a) 50 guineas.
(b) 30 schillings.
(c) 25 pounds.
(d) 100 guineas.
2. What does Mrs. St. Clair receive from her husband letting her know he is alright?
(a) A pocketwatch and boots.
(b) A book and a feather.
(c) A letter and his ring.
(d) A flower and vase.
3. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what dangerous situation does the engineer get into?
(a) He gets locked in the same room as the machine.
(b) He is held hostage.
(c) He gets drunk and tries to operate the machine.
(d) He jumps onto a fast moving train.
4. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," why does the main character go to see Watson?
(a) He needs a place to hide.
(b) He is an old family friend.
(c) He needs a doctor.
(d) He is lost and asks for directions.
5. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," who is the last person to see the person Holmes is investigating?
(a) Mr. St. Clair.
(b) Mrs. St. Clair.
(c) Kate Whitney.
(d) Isa Whitney.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," who asks the engineer to fix something?
2. Which character in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" is addicted to opium?
3. In "The Man with the Twisted Lip," where does Watson go to look for Kate Whitney's husband?
4. In "A Case of Identity," what is Windbank's motive?
5. In "The Adventures of the Engineer's Thumb," what does the engineer do to anger his employer?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)