|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Augie get the job working for the CIO?
2. How does Caligula fare in his first fight with a live iguana?
3. What does Augie name the bird he and Thea purchase together?
4. What type of hunting animal does Thea plan to purchase to help in her exotic hunting plans?
5. How long did Clem urge Augie to wait before proposing to Stella?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
2. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
3. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
4. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
5. Who is Talavera?
6. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
7. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
8. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
9. Who is Sophie Geratis?
10. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)