|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augie name the bird he and Thea purchase together?
2. How many sailors survive the sinking of the ship at sea?
3. How does Thea respond when she meets her husband's lawyers to discuss divorce proceedings?
4. Which of the following activities is NOT one Thea teaches Augie to do while living together?
5. Which of the following activities is NOT one of Thea's hobbies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
2. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
3. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
4. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
5. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
6. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
7. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
9. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
10. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)