|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Augie give all his money to before he and Thea broke up?
2. What type of car does Simon drive when he picks Augie up from the airport?
3. When Sophie stops dating Augie, how many weeks does she have before her wedding to another man?
4. What is the name of Augie's houseboy in Acalta?
5. Which of the following women is the first woman Augie claims to have known who does not play mind games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
2. Who is Paslavitch?
3. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
4. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
5. Who is Sophie Geratis?
6. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
7. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
8. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
9. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
10. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)