|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Robey offer Augie per week to work as his assistant?
2. How does Thea respond to Augie's marriage proposal?
3. Where do Augie and Stella move after he returns home from the Merchant Marines?
4. What type of animal does Thea hope to hunt when she and Augie move abroad?
5. How many sailors survive the sinking of the ship at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
2. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
3. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
4. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
5. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
6. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
7. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
8. Who is Sophie Geratis?
9. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
10. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)