|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leon Trotsky's nickname to the men who are trying to assassinate him?
2. Which of the following female characters states that Augie is "too needy for indiscriminate love and too eager to please people who cannot be pleased."
3. How does Augie's friends react to the news that he is moving abroad with Thea?
4. What color is Thea's apartment?
5. What does Augie give to Paslavitch in exchange for free room and board?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
2. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
3. Who is Sophie Geratis?
4. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
5. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
6. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
7. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
8. Who is Paslavitch?
9. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
10. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)