|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Cossack in Paris tell Augie used to dress up like a woman in church just to frighten people?
2. When Sophie stops dating Augie, how many weeks does she have before her wedding to another man?
3. How does Thea respond to Augie's marriage proposal?
4. How much does Robey offer Augie per week to work as his assistant?
5. What does Thea purchase for Augie in preparation for their move abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
3. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
5. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
6. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
7. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
8. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
9. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
10. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)