|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following topics of discussion is NOT brought up by Mintouchian at the Turkish bath?
2. How does Simon treat the staff at the poker club he attends?
3. Who does the Cossack in Paris tell Augie used to dress up like a woman in church just to frighten people?
4. Who did Augie give all his money to before he and Thea broke up?
5. How does Augie feel about feeding live lizards to Caligula?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
3. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
5. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
6. Who is Sophie Geratis?
7. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
8. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
9. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
10. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
This novel covers a great span of historical time, including the labor movements of the 1930's. First, describe the complaint laborers had in the 1930's. How was their situation fueled by the stock market crash of the 1920's? Describe at least three of the political parties that were formed as a result of the labor movement. What was each of their stances on the rights of workers in the 1930's? Discuss Augie's involvement with the labor movement. How did Augie's involvement affect his life personally during the 1930's? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)