|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many universities was Bateshaw's experimental information turned down by?
2. Why is Augie not eligible to enlist in the army?
3. At which hotel does Augie stay with Thea in Mexico?
4. Which of the following Russian leaders took out a hit on Leon Trotsky's life?
5. In what New York neighborhood does Augie train for the Merchant Marines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
2. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
3. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
4. Who is Sophie Geratis?
5. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
6. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
7. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
8. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
9. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
10. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)