|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terrains is common in the city of Acalta, Central Mexico?
2. Which of the following topics of discussion is NOT brought up by Mintouchian at the Turkish bath?
3. At which hotel does Augie stay with Thea in Mexico?
4. How does Thea respond when she meets her husband's lawyers to discuss divorce proceedings?
5. Which of the following sculptors had a show at the Baptistry in Florence that Augie visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
2. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
3. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
4. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
5. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
6. Who is Talavera?
7. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
8. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
9. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
10. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)