|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Simon treat the staff at the poker club he attends?
2. How long are Augie's workdays while he is working for the CIO?
3. How does Thea respond to Augie's marriage proposal?
4. Which of the following characters gives Augie the advice that, "one must take chances, for it is better to die than to live as a stranger"?
5. What does Thea throw at Caligula after watching his first fight with a live iguana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
2. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
3. Who is Sophie Geratis?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
5. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
6. Who is Paslavitch?
7. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
8. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
9. Who is Talavera?
10. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)