|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following plans is NOT one Augie makes to "align with the axial lines of the universe"?
2. Who did Augie give all his money to before he and Thea broke up?
3. What organization is the CIO in direct competition with?
4. What does Augie name the bird he and Thea purchase together?
5. What is WIley Moulton's partner's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
3. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
4. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
5. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
6. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
7. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
8. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
9. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
10. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie's relationship with Simon is one that took many turns during their adult lives together. First, describe the relationship Augie had with his brother Simon when they were young. Then, describe how that relationship changed as both reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between Simon and Augie and describe them here. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and Simon when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)