|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which hotel does Augie stay with Thea in Mexico?
2. What organization is the CIO in direct competition with?
3. What does Georgie make for a living in the mental institution where he lives?
4. What color is Thea's apartment?
5. Who suggests that Augie get the job working for the CIO?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Paslavitch?
2. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
3. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
4. Who is Sophie Geratis?
5. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
6. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
7. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
10. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is something that was extremely important to the March family and to Grandma. First, describe why Grandma was set in ensuring that the March boys receive proper education. How did she go about ensuring that her boys became educated citizens? Then, compare Simon's performance in school with Augie's performance in school. Why does Augie struggle in school? How does Augie's lack of education affect his future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)