|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caligula fare in his first fight with a live iguana?
2. What does "Casa Descuitada" translate to?
3. Who suggests that Augie get the job working for the CIO?
4. How many universities was Bateshaw's experimental information turned down by?
5. Which U.S. President instigated the "Fair Deal" administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
2. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
3. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
4. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
5. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
6. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
7. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
8. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
9. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
10. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)