|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Augie given leave from the Merchant Marines to celebrate his honeymoon?
2. Which of the following sculptors had a show at the Baptistry in Florence that Augie visited?
3. In what New York neighborhood does Augie train for the Merchant Marines?
4. Who does the Cossack in Paris tell Augie used to dress up like a woman in church just to frighten people?
5. What does Augie give to Paslavitch in exchange for free room and board?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
2. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
3. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
4. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
5. Who is Paslavitch?
6. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
7. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
8. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
9. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
10. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie was difficult one due to Georgie's mental disabilities. First, describe Georgie's character. Why was he put away in a mental institution when he hit puberty? How did life in the mental institution affect Georgie's character? Then, describe Augie's relationship with his brother Georgie throughout his life. What was their relationship like as young boys? How did that relationship change when both boys reached maturity? How did his relationship with Georgie affect Augie's life decisions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)