|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Thea's older husband?
2. What type of animal does Thea hope to study in the Yucatan?
3. Where is Momma living when Augie returns home from Mexico City?
4. What does Sophia Geratis do for a living?
5. What does Georgie make for a living in the mental institution where he lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Talavera?
2. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
3. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
4. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
5. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
6. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
7. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
8. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
9. Who is Paslavitch?
10. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 2
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)