|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augie give to Paslavitch in exchange for free room and board?
2. How does Thea respond to Augie's marriage proposal?
3. What type of strikes does Augie work to prevent while working for the CIO?
4. What is the name of the ship Augie boards after his honeymoon?
5. What does the Yugoslavian, Paslavitch, do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
2. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
3. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
4. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
5. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
6. Who is Paslavitch?
7. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
8. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
9. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
10. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)