|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Augie forced to stay overnight at a construction site with Stella?
2. To whom does Bizcocho belong?
3. Who tells Augie that Stella is a pathological liar?
4. Which of the following subjects is NOT one Clem encourages Augie to study if he returns to University?
5. What part of Augie's body is injured when thrown off a horse while hunting with Caligula?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
3. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
4. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
5. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
6. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
7. Who is Sophie Geratis?
8. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
9. Who is Paslavitch?
10. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)