|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augie's friends react to the news that he is moving abroad with Thea?
2. Where is Momma living when Augie returns home from Mexico City?
3. What is the name of Thea's older husband?
4. What type of strikes does Augie work to prevent while working for the CIO?
5. Which of the following characters states that "flying bullets are not unknown on Chicago's streets" during the labor movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
2. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
3. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
4. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
5. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
6. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
7. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
8. Who is Paslavitch?
9. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
10. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the desperate financial situation Augie finds himself in, he enters a life of crime with fellow thug, Joe Gormon. First, describe Joe Gormon's character. How did he and Augie meet? Why was Augie seduced by Joe's life of crime? Then, choose one major crime Augie committed while working with Gormon. Who was the victim of this crime? What was the short-term payoff for Augie? In your opinion, was the short-term payoff for this crime worth the long-term effects on Augie's life? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The tension between Poles and Jews in Chicago in the early 1920's is blatantly apparent in Augie's description of his childhood in a Polish neighborhood. First, describe what life was like for the March family living as the only Jewish family in a Polish neighborhood. How was the family treated in the neighborhood? How were the boys treated at school? Then,describe the relationship Augie had with the Kriendl family. How did race relations fuel the bond in this unlikely family? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)