|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thea respond when she meets her husband's lawyers to discuss divorce proceedings?
2. Which of the following characters gives Augie the advice that, "one must take chances, for it is better to die than to live as a stranger"?
3. What color is Thea's apartment?
4. What does Sophia Geratis do for a living?
5. Which of the following women does Arthur Einhorn begin dating, much to his lecherous father's liking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
2. Who is Sophie Geratis?
3. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
5. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
6. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
7. Who is Paslavitch?
8. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
9. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
10. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The most constant force in Augie's life, from childhood to adulthood, was his relationship with the eccentric tycoon, William. Describe how Augie and William first met. Then, describe how that relationship changed as Augie reached adulthood. Choose two moments that you believe were turning points in the relationship between William and Augie and describe them. How did these moments lead to the state of the relationship between Augie and William when the novel came to a close?
Essay Topic 3
Both Augie and Simon become romantically involved with wealthy families at various times in their lives. Describe the ideal of a "kept man" as described in the novel. Which March boy do you think is more of a kept man, Simon or Augie? How can you tell? Then, describe Augie's reaction to Simon's relationship with his wealthy wife. What does Augie admire about the relationship? What does he condemn? Explain whether or not you think Augie becomes hypocritical of Simon when he becomes involved with his own wealthy wife. What is the same about these two relationships? What is different? Is there anything unexpected or surprising in this comparison? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)