|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augie feel about feeding live lizards to Caligula?
2. Which of the following statements does NOT describe millionaire Robey?
3. Which of the following women is the first woman Augie claims to have known who does not play mind games?
4. What does the Yugoslavian, Paslavitch, do for a living?
5. What is the name of Thea's older husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
3. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
4. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
5. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
6. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
7. Who is Talavera?
8. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
9. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
10. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Augie was a young boy, he fell in love with a girl named Hilda, and through his adulthood, arguably, worked to remove Hilda from his heart forever. First, describe Augie's first experiences with love in his relationship with Hilda. What was the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his relationship with Hilda? Describe the general flow of Augie's love life after his relationship with Hilda ended. How did Augie actively work to remove the love for Hilda from his heart? Was he successful? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)