|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects is NOT one Clem encourages Augie to study if he returns to University?
2. Which of the following characters does Augie NOT visit with during his first few days back in Chicago?
3. What type of animal is Bizcocho?
4. Which of the following groups of workers does NOT regularly turn to the CIO for support during the labor movement?
5. Where does Thea claim she is moving so she can divorce her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
2. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
3. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
4. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
5. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
6. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
7. Who is Talavera?
8. Who is Paslavitch?
9. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
10. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because his family was poor, Augie took odd jobs to help support his family. Choose two of the odd jobs Augie took to help support his family while he was a teenager and describe his tasks. Which jobs did Augie tend to excel in? Why did Augie jump from job to job so often? Finally, describe one major life lesson that Augie learned while working odd jobs for his family. How did working this job affect Augie's decisions later in life? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)