|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Bizcocho belong?
2. Who does the Cossack in Paris tell Augie used to dress up like a woman in church just to frighten people?
3. What is the name of Augie's houseboy in Acalta?
4. What does "Casa Descuitada" translate to?
5. How long is Augie given leave from the Merchant Marines to celebrate his honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
2. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
3. Why is Thea planning to move to Mexico?
4. How does William feel about Augie's relationship with Mimi Villars?
5. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
6. Who is Talavera?
7. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
8. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
9. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
10. How does Augie react when he sees Caligula for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma was a powerful force in the lives of the young March boys. First, describe Grandma's character and explain the way she related to the March family. Then, describe the level of power Grandma had over the March family and the decisions they made. Was Grandma generally a positive or negative influence in the March family lives. Finally, choose one major decision Grandma made for the March family and describe how she was given that power. What was the effect of Grandma's decision on the March family? Did she make a good or bad decision for the family? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
After years of living as a bachelor, Augie finally settles down and marries Stella, the woman he met in Mexico. First, describe how Augie and Stella found each other years after they first met in Mexico. Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends when they heard that Augie would soon be getting married. Were they supportive of his decision? Why or why not? Finally, explain weather or not marriage to Stella was what Augie had hoped for when settling down. Is he satisfied in his marriage? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)