|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed about Simon during the time Augie was living in Mexico City?
2. Which of the following female characters states that Augie is "too needy for indiscriminate love and too eager to please people who cannot be pleased."
3. When Sophie stops dating Augie, how many weeks does she have before her wedding to another man?
4. What is the name of the ship Augie boards after his honeymoon?
5. What type of strikes does Augie work to prevent while working for the CIO?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Augie forced to leave Chicago after signing up with the CIO?
2. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
3. Who does the CIO represent, and what is their aim?
4. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
5. What happens when Augie offers to drive his disfigured maid home to her family in Normandy at the end of the novel?
6. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
7. Who is Paslavitch?
8. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
9. What lessons does Augie learn from the rich lawyer, Harold Mintouchian?
10. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Simon marries Charlotte, he has excess money to throw around. First, describe the way that Simon uses his money to manipulate his mother's life. Then, compare this to the way Simon uses his money to manipulate Georgie's life. Whose needs does Simon put first with his money, his family's needs or his own? How can you tell? Finally, describe the decline of Simon's marriage to Charlotte. How do Simon's spending habits affect his relationship with his wife? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Augie was a teenager, he was given the job of working as a butler for William Einhorn. First, describe William Einhorn and his disabilities. Then, describe the tasks that Augie was expected to complete while working for Einhorn. Did Augie do well or struggle in this position? How can you tell? Finally, describe how the professional relationship between Augie and Einhorn dissolved. How did their professional meltdown affect their personal relationship? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Renee is a small, secondary character who makes a large splash in the lives of the March boys. Describe Renee's character. How was she initiated into the lives of the March boys. Then, describe the drama raised when Renee became pregnant. Who was the father of her baby? Why is this information significant to the text of the novel? Describe at least two different ways that Renee dramatically attempted to earn the attention of the March boys. Was she successful in her quest? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)