|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters gives Augie the advice that, "one must take chances, for it is better to die than to live as a stranger"?
2. How does Augie's friends react to the news that he is moving abroad with Thea?
3. What organization is the CIO in direct competition with?
4. What does the Yugoslavian, Paslavitch, do for a living?
5. Which of the following characters does Augie NOT visit with during his first few days back in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oliver evicted from the hotel where he is staying in Mexico City?
2. What does Mr. Gammick teach Augie about work life?
3. What connection does Augie realize he has with the Soviet exile, Leon Trotsky?
4. How does Augie respond to the news that Thea's divorce is final?
5. What job does Augie almost take working for Leon Trotsky?
6. What bombshell does Frazer drop on Augie about his wife and marriage when Augie runs into him at a cafe in Paris?
7. Who collects venomous snakes, and why?
8. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
9. How does Augie react when he is reunited with Stella, the model?
10. What does Augie write in the letters he sends to Stella from aboard the MacManus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augie's relationship with Mimi Villa is one that stays with him for the majority of his adult life. First, describe Mimi Villa. Where did she and Augie meet? Then, describe the incident that you believe led to the deep bond that formed between these two teenagers. How did they act as friends for each other in a way no one else would have been capable of? Then, describe the reaction from Augie's family and friends to his platonic relationship with Mimi. What troubles did he get into having such a close female friend? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Augie March started his life with a rough family upbringing. First, describe the dynamic of Augie's family when he was born. What family life was he born into? Then, describe how Augie overcame his rough upbringing. What was expected of Augie's future when he was a boy? How did Augie overcome what was predicted or expected of him to create his own future? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)