|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects is NOT one Clem encourages Augie to study if he returns to University?
2. What topic does the magazine "Wilmot's Weekly" discuss?
3. Which of the following groups of workers does NOT regularly turn to the CIO for support during the labor movement?
4. Which of the following sculptors had a show at the Baptistry in Florence that Augie visited?
5. Who acts as Augie's boss while working for the CIO?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Augie and Thea break up?
2. What makes Augie squeamish about training Caligula?
3. Who is Talavera?
4. How does Renee attempt to ensnare Simon in her life forever?
5. How does Augie react when he sees Thea for the first time since their resort stay in Michigan?
6. How has Georgie's life changed in the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
7. How does Bateshaw prevent Augie from flagging down a passing ship after their Marine boat sinks?
8. How does Caligula perform during his first hunting expedition?
9. How has Simon's appearance changed during the time that Augie was living in Mexico City?
10. What work does Augie do for the eccentric millionaire, Robey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Augie is aboard the MacManus working for the Merchant Marines, he is one of two men who manage to live through the ship's sinking. Describe the way that Augie managed to save his life when all the other soldiers went down with the ship. Then, describe the way that Augie paid homage to the lives of the sailors lost at sea. To whom did he tell the sailor's stories? Finally, describe how Augie finally made it back to land after drifting in the water for days. What was Augie's emotional reaction to his homecoming? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the situation in which Mimi Villa got pregnant. Why did she decide to terminate her pregnancy? Then, describe the process Mimi had to go through to end her pregnancy. Was the procedure safe? Why or why not? Finally, compare the reaction from the women in Mimi's life to her abortion with the reaction from the men. What sociological statement do you think Bellows is making about abortion through these interactions? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, Augie considered Jimmy to be one of his best friends. First, describe the relationship between Jimmy and Augie when they were both young boys. Why do you think these two boys bonded so quickly? What type of trouble did the pair get into together? What punishments did each of the boys' receive? Then, describe how Jimmy came back into Augie's life when they were adults. How did Jimmy save Augie from a potentially sticky criminal situation? How did Augie pay Jimmy back for his friendship? How do you think Augie and Jimmy embody the ideal of "best friends forever"? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)