|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note from Jane say that Mark gets when he wakes up in the banquet hall?
2. Whose protection is Jane putting herself under as they search for Merlin?
3. What happens to Mark when he leaves Mr. Dimble to think about leaving the N.I.C.E. for an hour?
4. How does Merlin greet Ransom when he realizes Ransom is the real leader at St. Anne's?
5. What does Mark do when he sees the Head for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the 'Curse of Babel' do to the people at the banquet table?
2. What happens to the people at St. Anne's when the Oyeresu start descending there?
3. What is left of the N.I.C.E. at the end of the banquet?
4. What do Jane and Mr. Dimble find at the campsite in Bragdon Wood?
5. Why does Ransom say that God chose to use Merlin to help them at this time?
6. What happens when Mark punches Wither in the face?
7. Why is Mark so hesitant about stomping on the crucifix in his training room?
8. Why are Mr. Frost and Mr. Wither trying to talk to the old man in Latin?
9. Why does Mr. Wither always seem so distracted?
10. Why does Merlin feel so much animosity towards Jane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are some very symbolic meanings in the names chosen for the characters in this book. Choose 5 of these symbolic names, and describe what deeper meaning they bring to the character and the story line.
Essay Topic 2
Jane has a horrible experience when she encounters a riot caused by the N.I.C.E. on the street. What happens to her? How does this compare to or contrast with the experience Mark is having at the N.I.C.E.?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the purpose of Jane's dreams, while citing examples from some of them specifically. How do her dreams contribute to the story?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)