|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark do after he defeats the urgings of the bad eldil while in the room Frost left him alone in?
2. What change occurs in Mr. Dimble as the search party for Merlin draws nearer to the fire?
3. What is Jane's opinion of Mr. Ransom after hearing Mr. Macphee's emotionless version of Mr. Ransom's history?
4. What does Merlin show fear of during his private conversation with Ransom?
5. What do Straik and Wither do to Filostrato when Filostrato is taken to meet the Head?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jane unknowingly stop Mr. Frost from being able to telepathically see her dreams?
2. What happens to Mark when he sees the remains of the prisoner Alcasar?
3. What does Merlin do when Ransom successfully passes all the tests Merlin gives to see if Ransom truly is the leader of St. Anne's?
4. Why does Ransom say that God chose to use Merlin to help them at this time?
5. What is left of the N.I.C.E. at the end of the banquet?
6. What does Mr. Dimble want to help Mark do after Mark seeks him out looking for Jane?
7. What does Mr. Frost receive that causes him to leave Mark in the holding room with no warning?
8. What do Jane and Mr. Dimble find at the campsite in Bragdon Wood?
9. What is the old man's major goal while being held captive at Belbury?
10. Why does Merlin feel so much animosity towards Jane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merlin is an essential character in this book. What central role does he play? Where does he come from? What side is he on? Why is he needed so badly? What are some of the things he does to help? Why is Merlin chosen to help the people at St. Anne's? What is he able to provide that no one else can? What would the outcome have been for St. Anne's without Merlin's support?
Essay Topic 2
What seemingly hypocritical methods does the N.I.C.E. use to further their objective, and why do they believe this will work? Does it work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Ransom is a very important figure in this book. What symbolic figure is he supposed to represent? Use examples from the text to support this idea. How does this standing affect the other characters he comes in contact with in the book?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)