|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mark get back to Belbury when he decides to accept his position with the N.I.C.E.?
2. What is different in the atmosphere between Edgestow and St. Anne's?
3. Why is Mr. Wither unable to tell Mark what his main duty will be when Mark arrives to accept his position with the N.I.C.E.?
4. What is Jane doing when Mark comes home from his late meeting?
5. What must Jane do in order to join St. Anne's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cosser doing in the countryside when Mark accompanies him to help?
2. Why are the Denistons so eager to have Jane be a new member of their group at St. Anne's?
3. What does Mark see as he and Lord Feverstone pass by a mirror at Belbury?
4. How does Jane escape from the N.I.C.E. police force on the night of the riot?
5. Why does Miss Ironwood refuse to help Jane get rid of her dreams?
6. After hearing about her dreams, what does Mr. Dimble tell Jane to do if she feels the urge to tell anyone else about her dreams?
7. How does Jane gain admittance into St. Anne's the first time she goes there?
8. Why is Mr. Wither so upset with the Fairy for trying to take Jane by force on the night of the riot?
9. Why is Mr. Steele so hostile towards Mark when they are first introduced to each other at Belbury?
10. What advice does Mr. Ransom give Jane to help her fix her poor marriage situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different proposed purposes of the N.I.C.E. What are some of the different proposed purposes, and what is the real purpose? How does the N.I.C.E. plan to achieve this purpose? How does this differ from the main mission of St. Anne's? What are they doing to complete their mission?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jane do to make Merlin so upset? How is she changed after she does this? Is there a way for Jane to make things right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Head is a very integral figure in this book. Describe it. What is it? What is it used for? Where did it come from? What is the significance of the Head? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)