|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does the Fairy give Mark as his first duty?
2. What special privilege does Mr. Wither offer Mark that Mark does not want to accept?
3. Who is causing all of the disturbances that Mark is writing about?
4. Where does Jane call home after her experience at the riot?
5. What does Mark not want as his primary job if he takes a position with the N.I.C.E.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Steele so hostile towards Mark when they are first introduced to each other at Belbury?
2. Why is Lord Feverston appointed the new emergency governor?
3. What does the Fairy tell Mark repeatedly to not bother Mr. Wither about?
4. What is Mark thinking about his wife the morning after he came home to his wife in tears?
5. What does the Fairy do to Jane to try and get Jane to tell her where she was coming from the night of the riot?
6. Why is the N.I.C.E. so interested in buying Bragdon Wood?
7. What does Mark see as he and Lord Feverstone pass by a mirror at Belbury?
8. What is the one job that Mark does not want to take if he joins the N.I.C.E.?
9. Why does Mrs. Maggs resign from her position as Jane's housekeeper?
10. What is Reverend Straik's warning to Mark about joining the N.I.C.E.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book shows the journey of Mark and Jane's relationship. What is their relationship like at the beginning of the book? How does it progress? What is their relationship like at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you think changes the most throughout the book? What events, ideas, or relationships causes this character to change throughout the novel? Do they change for the better or for the worse? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Head is a very integral figure in this book. Describe it. What is it? What is it used for? Where did it come from? What is the significance of the Head? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)