|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Wither unable to tell Mark what his main duty will be when Mark arrives to accept his position with the N.I.C.E.?
(a) He does not intend to actually hire Mark.
(b) He is in the middle of another meeting.
(c) He has to get Mr. Steele out of the way before he can give out that information.
(d) He has forgotten.
2. What happens when Mark distances himself from Belbury?
(a) He is plagued with strange visions.
(b) He longs to return to Belbury.
(c) He begins thinking clearly again.
(d) He feels the need to spread the news of the goodness of the N.I.C.E.
3. Why was Mark really invited to join the N.I.C.E.?
(a) To keep him from joining St. Anne's.
(b) To use his identity.
(c) To get Jane.
(d) To utilize his writing talent.
4. What reason does the N.I.C.E. give for the riots happening in Edgestow?
(a) They are not at all involved.
(b) They need less beauracracy in the case of a real emergency.
(c) They are being heavily and wrongly persecuted.
(d) St. Anne's is now out of control with their extremism.
5. How does Jane feel when she decides to go see Mrs. Ironwood after speaking with the Dimbles about her disturbing dreams?
(a) She feels like a fool.
(b) She feels scared.
(c) She feels comforted.
(d) She feels angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Feverstone tell Mark that he will lose if he turns down the position at the N.I.C.E.?
2. What does Mark use as a reason to return to Edgestow from Belbury?
3. What is Jane suffering from at night?
4. Why is Jane not frightened of the dream she has of the dead man in the dark?
5. What does Jane learn about the man from her recurring dream when she goes to St. Anne's and tells them of her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fairy tell Mark repeatedly to not bother Mr. Wither about?
2. What is the one job that Mark does not want to take if he joins the N.I.C.E.?
3. What does Jane notice about the weather as she heads to St. Anne's after seeing Mr. Frost?
4. What strikes Jane as so fascinating when she first meets Mr. Ransom?
5. Why does Miss Ironwood refuse to help Jane get rid of her dreams?
6. How does Jane gain admittance into St. Anne's the first time she goes there?
7. What does Mr. Wither do to get Mark to take the position at the N.I.C.E. after he turned it down?
8. Why is Mr. Wither so upset with the Fairy for trying to take Jane by force on the night of the riot?
9. What is Mark thinking about his wife the morning after he came home to his wife in tears?
10. What does Mark see as he and Lord Feverstone pass by a mirror at Belbury?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)